in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-10-2011 7:23 AM by TheMajor. 64 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-04-2011 12:44 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Re: So.. why do you buy Bang & Olufsen?

Clakke:

Hi Electrified

Thank you, I have heard about it here and read about it. From what I understand, it won´t do so much difference with our BS4 for the momentBig Smile

He he, no, that would probably be money out the window. Money that could be used on wine and beer (well, if I was to decide) Stick out tongue

Clakke:
    But this was what I mentioned in my post. They could be really good these future products. I just hope that it is not to late. If they had released the encore a little earlier, we might have bought it. Now we already have beoport and iPhone. Well, I will not say no already.

Me too. It does feel rather late but I (for one) clap my little hands with my fingers crossed hoping that this will finally mean a proper competitive entrance into digital media for B&O.

It looks like I just might be able to get me B&O "stereo" that fullfil my needs and wants.

(I have to say, it's difficult clapping with your fingers crossed, lol)

• 01-05-2011 2:16 PM In reply to

• Olof
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Posts 141
    • Bronze Member

Because its so idiotic expensive and everybody how visits you and see your B&O system had to recognise how rich you are !

• 01-06-2011 3:41 AM In reply to

• AT
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 187
    • Founder

Olof:
    Because its so idiotic expensive and everybody how visits you and see your B&O system had to recognise how rich you are !

Just another good example to my opinion, thank You Laughing

• 01-07-2011 10:24 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

Because you can buy a Beosound 3 in a box and mint for £200 from Ebay, and then hug it all day long. Just programming it now and love listening to Wagner. Life does begin at 40(ish)

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 01-08-2011 9:40 PM In reply to

• Seven
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-22-2008
    • Posts 35
    • Bronze Member

Fell in love with then brand when I was 10. A few years older, two years ago I was looking for a TV. I rarely actually watch TV, so it has to look nice turned off. I didn't like the design of 99% of them all - too similar (all flatscreens are similar black thingies), too "brandy" (big logos on the front), ugly from behind (most of them, as well). So I went for a BV6-26.

Now that the novely and love has worn off, and all the limits have come apparent, I'll probably switch to something cheaper. I also love big screens, so I'll probably get a projector, which B&O don't have per se.

• 01-08-2011 10:35 PM In reply to

Seven:
    Now that the novely and love has worn off, and all the limits have come apparent, I'll probably switch to something cheaper.

that is a SAD story !

what are the limitations that you found ? (apart from price)

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-09-2011 4:23 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

I must admit that, when I was up North for Christmas, I was very impressed with my brother's brand new 46" LED Samsung TV, which he bought for about £800. Good looking TV, superb picture, very easy to use, reasonable sound and decent remote.

When you realise you could sell your BV7-40, buy a Samsung LED 46", connect the usual Apple TV, Sky HD, Playstation etc, but you'd have nearly £5000 left after the sale, you do wonder about your "love" for the B&O brand.

Hardly a sad story, just realism.

Out of interest, does anyone know if the B&O UK prices have risen since the VAT increase on 4 Jan? I know my favourite Swiss watch brand used the VAT increase as an excuse to increase their prices by 10%!

• 01-09-2011 5:22 AM In reply to

It has always been a bit like this though. An Avant DVD was over £5000 when new when you could buy another make for only a few hundred pounds. The quality of the picture and sound however was such that it was relatively easy to justify. I think the flat screens have narrowed the picture quality difference, though B&O do still offer an advantage to my eyes. The problem now however is the sound. The BV10 simply does not have the same sound quality as the earlier sets. This is purely down to volume of cabinet - you cannot have ultra slim and decent speaker volume. I buy B&O as much for sound quality as anything but the BV10 just doesn't have it for me. Happy to have changed back to the BV5.

I wouldn't have any other make though - none of the competitors I have heard have sound I would be happy with either.

• 01-09-2011 5:43 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Doctor:

It has always been a bit like this though. An Avant DVD was over £5000 when new when you could buy another make for only a few hundred pounds. The quality of the picture and sound however was such that it was relatively easy to justify. I think the flat screens have narrowed the picture quality difference, though B&O do still offer an advantage to my eyes. The problem now however is the sound. The BV10 simply does not have the same sound quality as the earlier sets. This is purely down to volume of cabinet - you cannot have ultra slim and decent speaker volume. I buy B&O as much for sound quality as anything but the BV10 just doesn't have it for me. Happy to have changed back to the BV5.

I wouldn't have any other make though - none of the competitors I have heard have sound I would be happy with either.

.........although, to be fair, the BV7 & BV4 don't have any sound at all but rely on external speakers. The same will obviously apply to other manufacturers TV's.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 01-09-2011 8:40 AM In reply to

• Seven
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-22-2008
    • Posts 35
    • Bronze Member

elephant:

Seven:
    Now that the novely and love has worn off, and all the limits have come apparent, I'll probably switch to something cheaper.

that is a SAD story !

what are the limitations that you found ? (apart from price)

Glad you asked. Here are a few:

• "Contrast" control doesn't change the picture one bit. I always looks the same way, no matter if it's in the middle, hard left or hard right. "Brightness" and "Colour" work fine, though.
    • Manual states "Format 0 will make the picture go blank". It does, but doesn't dim the backlight on mine, so it still lights up considerably, making it not that feasible to use as a simple loudspeaker.
    • Additionally, I tried out the teletext-subtitle function. Problem 1: the top bar of the teletext function (Page, Program, Point, Halt...) stays always visible, which distracts, and no other tv brand that I'm aware of does it that way. Problem 2: While in subtitle mode, tv doesn't display widescreen signals correctly (picture is terribly squeezed, like in mode "Format 3").
    • But mostly, it's the price. In the video landscape, things are moving really fast (HD, now 3D, next ones will probably be HDR, 4K and higher FPS sources), it's not efficient to always pay 5x the amount, at least not for me.

Cheers!

• 01-09-2011 3:00 PM In reply to

moxxey:

I must admit that, when I was up North for Christmas, I was very impressed with my brother's brand new 46" LED Samsung TV, which he bought for about £800. Good looking TV, superb picture, very easy to use, reasonable sound and decent remote.

When you realise you could sell your BV7-40, buy a Samsung LED 46", connect the usual Apple TV, Sky HD, Playstation etc, but you'd have nearly £5000 left after the sale, you do wonder about your "love" for the B&O brand.

Hardly a sad story, just realism.

Out of interest, does anyone know if the B&O UK prices have risen since the VAT increase on 4 Jan? I know my favourite Swiss watch brand used the VAT increase as an excuse to increase their prices by 10%!

Hi Moxxey

In the UK B&O dealers set their own prices, and whilst prices have gone up to the dealer network, it is up to the individual dealer to decide whether to pass the additional 2.5% on to the customer - we haven't Wink

• 01-09-2011 5:35 PM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

For me its not as much what it can do, but how it makes me feel...

/Peter

• 01-09-2011 8:11 PM In reply to

Doctor:
    The withdrawal from touch sensitive glass surfaces by B&O always astounded me as the 9500 showed they were complete masters at it.

I agree with this. The audio systems after the 4500 and BC 9xxx series lost some of the "magic". The 2500/Ouverture etc. -Nice design -but those rubber buttons...Sad The same with BS 9000 -no touch controls. And BeoSound 4 -ordinary plastic buttons under the glass front No - thumbs down Not what you'd expect from a audiosystem at that price level.
    For many years the only "magic" (talking about operating the devices) was the sliding glass doors. With the Beocenter2 they brought a bit of the old magic back. And then the BS5: OK -no touch screen -but it's got the wow-factor when you use it.

• 01-10-2011 7:11 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

I am sure the touch glass will come back once more, but I suspect the overall looks dictate the type of interface used.

I am not sure if the glass look of the 9500 etc would have suited any of the models you mention Steffan! Also have any one of those models lost anything as a result of using standard buttons? They are all IMO great designs, very enjoyable to use and embody what B&O is all about, maybe apart from cd access with the BS4, a little too far for design sake IMO!

Olly.

• 01-10-2011 7:23 AM In reply to

Step1:

I am sure the touch glass will come back once more, but I suspect the overall looks dictate the type of interface used.

I am not sure if the glass look of the 9500 etc would have suited any of the models you mention Steffan! Also have any one of those models lost anything as a result of using standard buttons? They are all IMO great designs, very enjoyable to use and embody what B&O is all about, maybe apart from cd access with the BS4, a little too far for design sake IMO!

I agree with you on this. Touch glass was cool but using it again and again would have lead to the same design style again and again. I think it would have been nice on the BS1 instead of buttons. It will be back one day. Rubber buttons are fine IMHO.

Also I agree on the BS4 too. The CD access is why I didn't buy it. I was in the shop with the cash ready to buy but decided not to after a week of thinking and bought a BS7000. 

Beosystem 7000/6500- Beolab 4000 - Beosound 1 - A8 - Earset 3 - Beo4

Page 3 of 3 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3