in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-28-2010 12:33 PM by chartz. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-27-2010 2:08 PM

Setting and Verifying Tracking Force on an 8002

Not sure if other B&O tangential decks are the same as the 8002 with respect to their being a slider on the tonearm to adjust tracking force, but I'm wondering if there's anything you can/should do to verify that it's set correctly, i.e. like letting a pivoting tonearm float and then zeroing it out before setting the grams of force. On a related note, is it possible to check the tracking weight/force on an 8002 using an electronic stylus gauge, like the AcousTech model? 

P.S. Hey Phil: I'm guessing you'll have some thoughts on this.

Matt

• 12-27-2010 5:13 PM In reply to

Re: Setting and Verifying Tracking Force on an 8002

8Ks-start play and after play starts, command arm to no-mans land between disc and park position; set TF @"0" and hit "play"; servo will release arm. @"O" TF, arm should dwell at height where stylus would be just at disc height if disc was in nomansland.

If not, adjust counterweight (under black plastic cover behind tonearm) accordingly. Once done, there is no need to check calibration/TF adjuster on chrome part of arm, very accurate.

If you really MUST use a digital gauge: remove platter and see if there is enough headroom to place it there and still have it at normal disc level. Also, many of these digital scales have ferrous surfaces-watch for the possibility of the magnet in the cart sucking the cart to the scale and bottoming the cantilever! This might scew your reading and certainly isn't good for the cart; you could try putting some small plastic thing or whatever onto the scale and zeroing it before checking TF providing it stays at normal disc hight.  The machine will bring the arm to the 12" LP play position and drop it because it won't be seeing the strobing of the normal platter; I've heard you shouldn't allow it to run for long in this state; perhaps someone could clear that up.

Regards, Phil

• 12-27-2010 6:14 PM In reply to

Phil Hunt:

8Ks-start play and after play starts, command arm to no-mans land between disc and park position; set TF @"0" and hit "play"; servo will release arm. @"O" TF, arm should dwell at height where stylus would be just at disc height if disc was in nomansland.

If not, adjust counterweight (under black plastic cover behind tonearm) accordingly. Once done, there is no need to check calibration/TF adjuster on chrome part of arm, very accurate.

Thanks  Phil. Few questions: How to make the arm stop in no-man's land without causing it to lower the stylus? With my Beogram 1800, I would pull the plug on the power, but I don't know if that's what you're saying I should do here. And then after I set the tracking force and hit Play, it sounds like there'd be a chance that the stylus would touch down on the aluminum area of no-man's land. Maybe plug the stylus in upside down to protect it?

• 12-27-2010 9:54 PM In reply to

If the arm is balanced and TF is set @"0", after bringing the arm to no mans land(>> >) press (play)and it should drop and dwell ~record level. If it descends onto the brushed aluminum, no harm done and it needs more counterweight (move weight away from cart end of arm). 

What is a PITA is trying to do counterweight adjustment with the dustcover in the way. However, if no-one disturbed the adjustment, it's probably fine. If it's close, you can play with the TF slider until it's perfect, (usually <.1gram off) and then just displace your TF adjustment by that amount (ie: if you move it to .1g to balance it, then 1.1g reading=1.0g actual. It's probably about perfect-just check it and forget it while you enjoy the music!

• 12-28-2010 9:27 AM In reply to

Thanks, Phil.

I managed to get a tiny screwdriver in to adjust the counterweight (you're right that's a PITA! with the cover in the way). The balance was off a bit, and so I adjusted it until the tonearm floated. Voila! 

• 12-28-2010 12:33 PM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Hi,

Good work!

I for one settled for a slight increase in weight. I just read the value of the "floating" setting (+0.2 for me) and duly apply this to the arm (1.5 grammes for my SMMC20EN then, instead of 1.3 g). Voilà!

Jacques

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)