in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-14-2011 6:16 PM by Francois1er. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-23-2010 5:57 PM

• Francois1er
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-13-2010
    • Fribourg, Switzerland
    • Posts 53
    • Gold Member

Upgrade a Beovision 7-32 mark1 for computer connections and ?

Hello,

I just purchased a used Beovision 7-32 mark 1, used to state the obvious, and I am quite happy with it. I have however a big problem regarding the link with my computer. We do not have a TV (well now we have one, sort of, but it is not connected to any network) and only want to see DVDs and surf the net. (It took the place of the family computer's screen).

the BV7-32 has a DVI-I socket/port but does not seems to recognise the computer when I plug it. I suspect that I need some type of upgrade to make it work. But then again, not having the user or service manual is quite a drag.

Did any of you have such an upgrade, or a good documentation at hand?

Kind regards to all beophiles,

François

Filed under:
  • 12-24-2010 1:38 PM In reply to

Re: Upgrade a Beovision 7-32 mark1 for computer connections and ?

hi If i am correct this isnt a input socket its an output for a projector!  i do believe the set can be upgraded so you can have a dvi input for hd etc! Cheers Nick 

• 12-24-2010 7:07 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Nickyg63:
    hi If i am correct this isnt a input socket its an output for a projector!

Sorry, NO!

Even the Mk1 (Type 9311-9320) has a PC input via DVI-I connector + audio L-R (Cinch/RCA) inputs.

- DVI-I (integrated) will accept DVI as well as VGA

- you'll need a DVI<>DVI or a VGA<>DVI cable depending on the output of your computer.

- the native resolution of the panel is 1366x768 (WXGA)

- check if resolution /refresh of your graficsadapter is properly set - for testing a low resolution
      of  600x800@60Hz should deliver a picture ...   

- (if installed) the projector output is a D-sub VGA 15 pin female

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/UserFiles/File/ug/beovision7-32/beovision7-32_referencebook_english.pdf

• 12-24-2010 9:19 PM In reply to

• Francois1er
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-13-2010
    • Fribourg, Switzerland
    • Posts 53
    • Gold Member

There is a warning pictogram in front of the VGA for projector and of the DVI, so I thought it meant that some kind of upgrade had to come...

I was wrong and your are right, Dear Vienna!

I connected the DVI of my computer to the one of the BV7, set the connections for AV4 to PC and nothing happened, then I tried several options, mostly because of your post.

What worked is: link the computer to the BV7-32 mkI with the DVI, link the computer to another screen

shut the computer down and fire it again while the beovision is already set on PC and on. Then the BV7 notices that something happens on his DVI-port and the computer notices too that the BV7 exists. With the second screen you easily set the right resolution and then you can unplug the additional screen.

The result is a very, very impressive screen, especially when running linux. I would not work on it all day (although..) but it solved my DVD-dezoning problem (under Linux my computer can read any DVD) and it is a great place for my kids to go on the internet.

Many thanks for your good advice. I wish you a merry Christmas

François from Fribourg

Filed under: , ,
  • 12-25-2010 4:59 AM In reply to

From experience from one afternoon of trying to do this, the BV7-32 doesn't report its resolutions (via EDID) correctly.  Linux reports it as invalid, at least.  So I struggled to persuade it to accept the native resolution from my PC.

It also has other issues, meaning the TV won't even show anything during POST and bootup.

The DVI is a bit of an afterthought on these tvs - that much is evident.  If you want it done properly, you need to get something a bit more up to date with HDMI.

• 12-25-2010 2:48 PM In reply to

Vienna:

Nickyg63:
    hi If i am correct this isnt a input socket its an output for a projector!

Sorry, NO!

Even the Mk1 (Type 9311-9320) has a PC input via DVI-I connector + audio L-R (Cinch/RCA) inputs.

- DVI-I (integrated) will accept DVI as well as VGA

- you'll need a DVI<>DVI or a VGA<>DVI cable depending on the output of your computer.

- the native resolution of the panel is 1366x768 (WXGA)

- check if resolution /refresh of your graficsadapter is properly set - for testing a low resolution
      of  600x800@60Hz should deliver a picture ...   

- (if installed) the projector output is a D-sub VGA 15 pin female

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/UserFiles/File/ug/beovision7-32/beovision7-32_referencebook_english.pdf

Thank you for correcting me, I was offering this information from a different post that I read!  I assumed that the dvi was an output as I thought the earlier sets were not hd? Sorry for the misinformation.

• 12-25-2010 3:17 PM In reply to

• Francois1er
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-13-2010
    • Fribourg, Switzerland
    • Posts 53
    • Gold Member

Hello Nicky,

any discussion implies contradictory arguments and the sum of them is what counts. For the ones with linux problems: I have a 8.x Unbutu version.

Merry Christmas

François

• 12-25-2010 3:42 PM In reply to

Francois1er:

Hello Nicky,

any discussion implies contradictory arguments and the sum of them is what counts. For the ones with linux problems: I have a 8.x Unbutu version.

Merry Christmas

François

Merry christmas to you as well!  

I know I get annoyed with contradictions from forums! I am glad someone answered who knew what they were talking about!! Sorry again for the misinformation and glad your kind of sorted 

Cheers Nick

• 12-25-2010 7:19 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Nickyg63:

Thank you for correcting me, I was offering this information from a different post that I read!  I assumed that the dvi was an output as I thought the earlier sets were not hd? Sorry for the misinformation.

It's a bit confusing since many recent models are using D-sub VGA 15 pin to connet to the graphics of
    the computer - while the home cinema module (projector out) nowadays is a DVI-D ...

If the vertical resolution of the panel is more than 720 lines "Not HD ready" means :

- as long as the processed picture is delivered (at a resolution / refresh rate corresponding to the specs
      of the panel) by a computer, the TV will act as a (HD) monitor. 

- but the TV won't handle HDCP protected video delivered by a SAT/Cable-STB, BD-Player, ... 
      e.g. for a 7-32 Mk1 a HD-ready kit Type 4370 will be necessary + some SW-updates to overcome
      these limitations.

(sometimes an additional HW-update for scaling/processing of these signals will be necessary too) 

• 12-28-2010 5:11 PM In reply to

• Francois1er
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-13-2010
    • Fribourg, Switzerland
    • Posts 53
    • Gold Member

Thank you very much Vienna, but we do not use our BV7 as a television. I suppose I own the most expensive computer screen in history.

My kids 12 and 14 expressed much disgust at the idea of a television entering our house (yes I have children who do not like TV, and no I did not spend my honeymoon in Tchernobyl)

Kind regards

François

• 12-28-2010 5:25 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

Francois1er:
    My kids 12 and 14 expressed much disgust at the idea of a television entering our house

What? What? What? Surely not... Huh?

• 12-28-2010 7:17 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Francois1er:

I suppose I own the most expensive computer screen in history.

... seen a BeoVision 4-65" being used as a PC monitor Smile  there is still some "room for improvement"

• 01-01-2011 10:00 AM In reply to

I bet it would look nice as a computer monitor

• 01-01-2011 5:07 PM In reply to

• Francois1er
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-13-2010
    • Fribourg, Switzerland
    • Posts 53
    • Gold Member

Hello Michael,

I kid you not. My kids do not like the idea of having a television in the home, they have a lot of  - IMO good - arguments against it. When we travel, of course they are glued to the TV of the hotel. This X-mas, they took possession of the huge TV set of my mother... to play with their new, the X-box

Happy new your to all the Antipodian BeoPhiles!

Be seing you

François

• 01-03-2011 1:23 PM In reply to

• Francois1er
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-13-2010
    • Fribourg, Switzerland
    • Posts 53
    • Gold Member

Hello Nicky,

I am just sitting in my living room, two meters from the screen and typing these words....

BTW, would you know how to connect a BV7 to a beomaster 9300 (with a TV/AUX) entry, so that I can hear the sound of my computer on the stereo?

Be seing you

François

• 01-03-2011 1:42 PM In reply to

Excellent! Could you possibly use an ipod to B&O lead from sounds heavenly into the aux socket of the hi-fi? I am sure someone will know if there is a better way!  

Glad to hear your enjoying it!

Cheers Nick

• 01-03-2011 2:06 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Francois1er:

BTW, would you know how to connect a BV7 to a beomaster 9300 (with a TV/AUX) entry, so that I can hear the sound of my computer on the stereo?

Either buy a B&O Cable 7pin DIN/JACK, 3m B&O Item # 6277956 for approx 12 EUR 
    or order a similar one from Sounds Heavenly.  
    An advantage is - Steve is offering these cables in different lenght from 1 to 10m.

• 01-14-2011 6:16 PM In reply to

• Francois1er
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-13-2010
    • Fribourg, Switzerland
    • Posts 53
    • Gold Member

csmager:

From experience from one afternoon of trying to do this, the BV7-32 doesn't report its resolutions (via EDID) correctly.  Linux reports it as invalid, at least.  So I struggled to persuade it to accept the native resolution from my PC.

It also has other issues, meaning the TV won't even show anything during POST and bootup.

The DVI is a bit of an afterthought on these tvs - that much is evident.  If you want it done properly, you need to get something a bit more up to date with HDMI.

CSmager,

my latests experiences gives you right. Now, selling the BV7 and getting something newer is currently not an option. could I have any chance with a software update? Did you master the problem after all?

Be seing you

François

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)