in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-23-2010 8:13 PM by Graham1982. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-23-2010 3:28 PM

Why do Loewe and B&O get compared side by side?

Hi all:

Guess this could be the start of an opinion thread more than a fact establishing one. However, having seen a Loewe CRT "in the plastic" today by chance in a charity shop window I am very surprised that the uninitiated or those that wish to speak unfavourably about B&O band these brands together.

I could have easily mistaken the aforementioned television for a Sony or Samsung of the early 2000s. I do not remember what model it was - it had a silver case and the model was written down the right hand side of the cabinet near the screen. The remote was not particularly inspiring either. If this was a Bang & Olufsen CRT up for £35 in a charity shop window I would have snapped it up. I might even have been tempted to buy the Loewe if it looked like it was worth the effort of carrying it home but it really wasn't.

I recently joined AV Forums and whist I think it is an invaluable source of information on a whole manner of products, it is also full of B&O haters who provide less than accurate information (in my opinion) about the brand saying things like Bose, Loewe and B&O are lifestyle products and not worth half what the rrp is (not verbatim but you get the gist).

Obviously not everyone has to be of the same opinion - if they were half of the conversations that people have wouldn't exist as there would not be a need or desire for the mutual exchange of ideas etc. However, I have never seen such vitriol espoused about an inanimate electronic object or range of inanimate electronic objects as that espoused about B&O and was just wondering why supposedly intelligent and articulate individuals do this.

• 12-23-2010 3:52 PM In reply to

Re: Why do Loewe and B&O get compared side by side?

Av forums is a notorious breeding ground for morons , and that's just the mods . They prattle all day on about the cost of everything forgetting that real value comes from something else apart from the price tag.

Loewe are hardly worth talking about , mediocre wannabee's at best , laughable copycats at worst.

• 12-23-2010 3:59 PM In reply to

I'll stick up for Loewe. The new generation of Loewe products are really nice... They have certainly stepped their game up. I think the Assist+ remote even has an OLED display.The CRT generation Loewe didn't inspre me althought the Mimo series was without doubt pretty.

I own and watch TV on an Individual 32 television which is a nice TV.

However, they are *completely* different brands!

Either way, AV Forums is for people that look for different things than the majority of Bang & Olufsen owners so they are bound to disagree. It's not a site I frequent I'll be honest!

B&O/'Lifestyle Audio and Visual' (I hate that term) haters don't understand the brand or the benefits/magic of ownership so I don't generally regard their opinions and prefer to leave them to it.

• 12-23-2010 4:02 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

They get compared because they are both pitching to the same market. They focus on design, integration and price themselves comparatively.

They are both good brands.  As you'd be aware, all a brand is, is a way of separating your products from others in the marketplace, it's just the marketing that makes you feel. And if the product on offer is superior in your own mind, you purchase. 

Could you potentially be a Loewe hater? Lol.

I'm a B&O convert. I also have Bose, but as you get older your instrument is better attuned and this is why I'm a convert.

• 12-23-2010 4:11 PM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

Flappo:

Av forums is a notorious breeding ground for morons , and that's just the mods . They prattle all day on about the cost of everything forgetting that real value comes from something else apart from the price tag.

Loewe are hardly worth talking about , mediocre wannabee's at best , laughable copycats at worst.

I could not agree with you more Loewe is a wannabee !!Hmm,unlike B&O is the beeUnsure,i can see why people jump ship to Loewe out of frustration with b&o but Loewe not for me !!! give me b&o anytime !!!

• 12-23-2010 5:13 PM In reply to

I think that B&O have in the past have got by on our loyalties to the brand and hense why they are upon hard times.  We are bound to be biased to B&O we are on a forum!  I think performance wise they are no longer superior! But in styling they are unrivaled.  Loewe make some good looking stuff and I suppose its down to choice, I remain a B&O man!

• 12-23-2010 8:13 PM In reply to

Hi all:

I guess there maybe a little bit of bias on my part - I would feel somewhat disappointed if having spent lots of money on equipment that I thought was near perfect I was to find something cheaper that was better for a number of reasons - style/functionality etc. However, the Loewe I saw both in this charity shop (I agree not the best of settings) and others that I have seen sporadically on eBay really do not seem to be worth the premium price they command. 

I do agree however that some of their latest range is more impressive and I did like some of the things on display in Selfridges recently. However, I do think that in some respects (despite others saying that B&O and Loewe are completely different brands) Loewe apes Bang & Olufsen. It could be argued that imitation is the best form of flattery but I seem to remember a particular Loewe CRT being styled like an Avant and this was really not flattering at all.

Graham

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)