in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-07-2011 3:17 PM by Electrified. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-23-2010 1:28 PM

January BM5 Software Update

I just received word from my dealer that the new January 5th software update will bring a lot of new functionality to the BM5!

UPnP client: With this update BeoSound 5/BeoMaster 5 can be connected to a home server offering direct access to your centralised music library. B&O expects  expect most devices that have Twonky Media Server version 5.x or newer to integrate without problems

a.

Default cover from 3rd party NAS will be the one supplied by the NAS

b.

The cover resolution will according to standard be 160*160 no matter the quality of the cover that is copied to the NAS. Meaning that high quality covers will be scaled down and consequently give a lesser experience than if the same music and cover were placed on BeoMaster 5.

c.

Compilation albums are treated very poorly according to standards and each track with different artist will on BeoSound 5 be shown as individual albums. Meaning that a compilation album with 10 tracks and different artists will be presented as 10 albums with the same cover, but different artists.

UPnP Server: With this update the BeoSound 5/BeoMaster 5 can act as a music server sharing content with other devices in your home network, offering the opportunity to play different music in different rooms in the house on a multiple number of BeoSound 5/BeoMaster 5 in the home. 

New user interface features

Exclude from MOTS: The same navigation principle used for adding music to FAVOURITES is now applied for excluding certain titles, covers, albums or artists from the MOTS queue. Select the music, press and hold GO and move the wheel to the EXCLUDE LIST.

Collapsed albums in ARTIST view: It has been made even easier to browse your artists as you as of this update only see the album (and not all individual titles) unless you select an album first.

Extended song info: The song information (cover, album, artist) shown to the right of the arch in COVER view is now also introduced in more browsing views for more visible recognition when browsing.

New N.MUSIC features

FLAC (= Free Lossless Audio Codec) as another lossless format.

streaming  AAC music.

A Bang & Olufsen default cover is now provided for all tracks and albums that do not have a cover.

The browsing and navigation i for large collections is improved.

It all sounds very promissing and exiting

• 12-23-2010 3:06 PM In reply to

Re: January BM5 Software Update

Now it starts looking interesting. We have been waiting for this.

I don't understand everything what you write, but I hope that we now can browse thru either Album Artist OR Song Artist, this is actually the problem with compiliation albums. I really miss that one.

And I guess that Twonky Media Server support WMA Lossless.

There is something about B&O.....

• 12-23-2010 3:13 PM In reply to

Looks indeed promissing !

Nico
  • 12-25-2010 6:26 PM In reply to

Still no (Apple Lossless) .m4a support Sad

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 12-25-2010 7:10 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Sounds very promising for when the Encore comes out too.  I just hope that that one won't downsize the cover art to 160x160 (what weird behaviour when it can show better resolution if directly on the BM5).

I especially like the flac support, but as with most things from B&O these days, there seems to be much headway still to be made. I can't wait. This Encore, assuming it will have the same features (and more)  might be the closest to my TTB when it finally arrives.

• 12-26-2010 8:34 AM In reply to

I think the 160x160 icons are for the Beo6... (just a guess though..)

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 12-27-2010 7:24 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Karel Uyttendaele:

I think the 160x160 icons are for the Beo6... (just a guess though..)

That would make sense.

• 12-29-2010 4:36 AM In reply to

I wonder if it also will support connection via WIFI to the new BEO6 for twoway communication or if that will be delivered some other time?

If it does I have to buy the BEO6 Stick out tongue for navigation in linkrooms and when i´m lying in the sofa.  

Brgds Ingvar

Collector since 1996, BS5/BM5, BL3*4, BL11, BEO6, BV10-46, BL2000, MX4002, Beocom6000, Beotalk1200

• 12-30-2010 11:29 AM In reply to

Album art at 160x160 is unacceptable.  I scanned covers at 600x600 for quality display on Beosound 5.  If I don't get the Beo6, is this change necessary?

Great news about supporting FLAC.  I have several albums in that format purchased from HDtracks.

At this point I no longer care about Apple lossless.  Although I have iTunes, I have found that I rarely put the same recordings on both iTunes and Beosound 5.  Once I realized that Beosound 5 was terrific for music that I listened to frequently using MOTS, I no longer fill up the Beosound 5 with everything just to discover new music which I generally skip anyway.

I guess I have developed a different view of the Beosound 5 and iTunes discussion. I happen to like both.  Microsoft lossless and Apple lossless sound the same to me.  Both are high quality and CD sounding.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 12-30-2010 2:30 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

linder:
    I guess I have developed a different view of the Beosound 5 and iTunes discussion. I happen to like both.  Microsoft lossless and Apple lossless sound the same to me.  Both are high quality and CD sounding.

Lossless, be it Apple's or Microsoft's version, or even Flac is just that: Lossless.

In reality, this means that when the Lossless files are unpacked the resulting PCM (raw audio data) is the exact same - bit for bit - as that of the wav/aif/cda.

So it not only sounds the same, it actually is the same :)

Edit: This also mean if you have something in Apple Lossless, you can convert it wav, then to aif, then to flac, then to wma lossless, and then back to Apple Lossless, and you will have the exact same file, bit for bit.

• 12-30-2010 2:58 PM In reply to

I agree!  I use them all and it works just fine.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 01-02-2011 10:52 AM In reply to

Does flac work in itunes?

I need apple lossless for that reason. I dont want to run 2 libraries.

Also what is mentioned here with compilations and covers is scaring me to some extent.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 01-02-2011 11:08 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

jk1002:
    Does flac work in itunes?I need apple lossless for that reason. I dont want to run 2 libraries.Also what is mentioned here with compilations and covers is scaring me to some extent.

Sort of. Here's a short and a longer tutorial if you're using Macs:

http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/06/12/how-to-play-flac-files-in-itunes/

• 01-05-2011 3:43 PM In reply to

Maybe a silly question, but FLAC didn't have a sort of id-tag. So no cover or album/artist info is stored within a track.

Would that be the reason why B&O provided a standard B&O logo for tracks/albums without a cover?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

• 01-05-2011 3:48 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

FLAC does have that ability. Most of my music is in Flac and has embedded album art. My own stuff (my own production) either are "blank"  or have a simple black cover with my name and title on it.

• 01-05-2011 4:17 PM In reply to

But when I look for details of a track, it isn't supplied in the properties? Like wma or mp3 you can see what the details are. Beoplayer for instance uses these detailes to organize.

With most flac music I've downloaded the tracktitle includes it all, tracknr, artist, title of the song.

• 01-05-2011 4:21 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Btw, not all of my bought albums has a real cover downloaded from the web, as it just didn't do it automatically, and I couldn't be bothered finding a picture, download it, and then add to the file. That is also the case with my podcasts. Not all of them has any cover art whatsoever (although the podcasts are mostly mp3s).

In such circumstances, I think a generic cover is just the solution. And a generic cover with a B&O logo on it seems like a solution that should have been there from the get-go.

It's nice to know it has at least arrived. It certainly makes me think more and more the Encore is just the thing when it arrives.

• 01-05-2011 4:26 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Beobuddy:

But when I look for details of a track, it isn't supplied in the properties? Like wma or mp3 you can see what the details are. Beoplayer for instance uses these detailes to organize.

With most flac music I've downloaded the tracktitle includes it all, tracknr, artist, title of the song.

I'm not sure what you mean. I don't use beoplayer, so it's a little hard for me to get it. You're saying that it does include it in the downloads, but beoplayer doesn't recognise cover art, is that it? If so, that sounds like a beoplayer error, not a flac error. Flac, as well as WMA lossless and Apple Lossless are all able to support cover art. Apart from space saved, that is one of the great things about using a lossless format.

• 01-07-2011 2:59 PM In reply to

Electrified:

I'm not sure what you mean. I don't use beoplayer, so it's a little hard for me to get it. You're saying that it does include it in the downloads, but beoplayer doesn't recognise cover art, is that it? If so, that sounds like a beoplayer error, not a flac error. Flac, as well as WMA lossless and Apple Lossless are all able to support cover art. Apart from space saved, that is one of the great things about using a lossless format.

The properties are used by beoplayer like every other music program.

Mostly the fields showed below are empty with flac, or am I wrong?

• 01-07-2011 3:17 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Hmm, looks like you're right that Windows Explorer aren't able to read it properly.

I use Bridge mostly, and there I have it all.

-------------

I never noticed that before (because of Bridge) so I decided to do a little search, and this is what I came up with:

http://www.softpointer.com/AudioShell.htm

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

The dbpoweramp programme gives Windows Explorer the same functionality as with mp3s/mp4s, apparently by way of a shellscript. I don't know if it makes use of the same shell as the softpointer-one, but it should work if you enable (in poweramp) "pop up info tips" and "explorer integration".

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)