in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-04-2011 9:23 AM by Alex. 30 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-03-2011 6:50 PM In reply to

Re: B&O and 3D development

Flappo:

Bno should concentrate on getting other much more important things sorted on their tv's like lack of hdmi's imo rather than going for the flashiness of 3d.

Where is there a lack of HDMI?

TVs are capable of being used with the atlona HDMI matrix, so for anyone doing that more than one is a waste.

People who don't want the matrix but run out of HDMI can use the HDMI expander, elegantly, and with support from a dealer.  Where's the issue?

• 06-03-2011 10:26 PM In reply to

Kokomo:

Tell me 'Trip', as a matter of interest, are there any 3D TV channels in the States?

In the UK there are and this could have an affect upon its eventual take-up by consumers, just as HD TV channels have helped accelerate the adoption of HD TVs. The subscription based Sky sports channels are very popular in the UK and sports fans have enthusiastically embraced (and paid for) the broadcasts in HD. Now they are broadcasting in 3D, many fans may be very tempted.

Without researching it, I'd say no. I don't know of any channels, but I understand there may be special events that have been broadcast in 3D. 

That being said, I think you're right that the two could have been expected to correlate, but at this point I'm pretty skeptical. Only a few months ago I mentioned how 3D was failing to inspire the sort of zeitgeist that swept people into the HDTV/Flat Panel revolution. Now I entertain clients who are asking about integrated apps and streaming video apart from a traditional cable satellite service. These are things that with (so far) less marketing push are already resonating with the buying public. 

I'd be very surprised if anyone still sees 3D as inevitable. TVs that operate as online platforms seem much more inevitable and much more likely to drive consumer behavior. I've spent a lot of time playing with Sony's TVs and while they have a lot to work out (primarily that aside from Netflix & Hulu there isn't much worth exploring) it's easy to see that a TV that works this way is clearly the near-term future.

Due to the way that television was always tied to junky commodity hardware as a part of the subscription, the "TV Platform" has seen startlingly little innovation when compared to phones and computers. It's very likely that someone (maybe Apple, maybe Sony, maybe an upstart like Boxee) will disrupt the cable/cablebox paradigm the way that Apple did with the iPhone, making the hardware less of a commodity and stripping it of the type of branding that made it seem worthless and not worth developing. 

It will be interesting to see how our upcoming TVs fare and weather the future will be one where the "box" and the TV are integrated or where the TV is more of a monitor that can connect many boxes. I, for one, don't worry about Apple making a TV because they'd likely lock down the platform to exclude (or near as makes no difference) other services that aren't currently integrated into their platform. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 06-04-2011 6:34 AM In reply to

According to The Times today "Hollywood fears a 3-D disaster as the novelty wears off."

Apparently 3-D vs 2-D sales are falling dramatically so there's a doubt over the long term production of 3-D films (most of which are claimed to be 'God-awful' in an article quote.)

So there may not be many 3-D films to view on expensive 3-D televisions. You might find yourself limited to Sky Sports and Wayne Rooney sticking his fist out of the screen!

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 06-04-2011 6:40 AM In reply to

when they sell a standalone tv , one where it's all in one , they better have all the connections i need , having to stick an after market add on box is just poorly thought out imo

i want a bno tv that allows me to do the following ,. out of the box

hdmi 1 , sky hd

hdmi 2 , apple tv

hdmi 3 , mac mini

is that too much to ask ?

• 06-04-2011 9:21 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 176
    • Bronze Member

TripEnglish:

Kokomo:

Tell me 'Trip', as a matter of interest, are there any 3D TV channels in the States?

In the UK there are and this could have an affect upon its eventual take-up by consumers, just as HD TV channels have helped accelerate the adoption of HD TVs. The subscription based Sky sports channels are very popular in the UK and sports fans have enthusiastically embraced (and paid for) the broadcasts in HD. Now they are broadcasting in 3D, many fans may be very tempted.

Without researching it, I'd say no. I don't know of any channels, but I understand there may be special events that have been broadcast in 3D. 

With all of the major cable providers in the US there's literally like 3 or 4 channels and very little on demand offering.  Truth be told, broadcast 3D is GARBAGE ... I'll take my detailed, crisp and fluid HD picture if I want to watch a basketball game over the gimmick of 3D any day!

If providers would (and they won't) allow themselves enough bandwidth to broadcast frame packing 3D instead of top/bottom side/side then *maybe* it would be a little more tolerable but since that's not the case it's really not even worth watching.

Store Manager Bang & Olufsen Broadway 927 Broadway New York, NY 10010
  • 06-04-2011 9:23 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 176
    • Bronze Member

Flappo:

when they sell a standalone tv , one where it's all in one , they better have all the connections i need , having to stick an after market add on box is just poorly thought out imo

i want a bno tv that allows me to do the following ,. out of the box

hdmi 1 , sky hd

hdmi 2 , apple tv

hdmi 3 , mac mini

is that too much to ask ?

Then get a BeoVision 7 without the DVB module and built in BluRay?

Store Manager Bang & Olufsen Broadway 927 Broadway New York, NY 10010
Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2