in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-23-2010 9:15 PM by symmes. 31 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-21-2010 8:22 AM

Beo6 on B&O's website

Pardon me if it's been said before, but I have jsut noticed the Beo5 has been replaced by the Beo6 officially on B&O's website:

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/beo6-remote-control

• 12-21-2010 8:25 AM In reply to

Re: Beo6 on B&O's website

Well spotted!!!

Mmmm no manual yet.. Specs seem to be the same too.. Hoped on a bit more resolution

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 12-21-2010 8:30 AM In reply to

You can see the screen is thinner and the + and zone buttons now seem to be in the screen, rather than printed onto the screen.

No mention of WIFI. Strange...

• 12-21-2010 8:31 AM In reply to

And available in gold!!

• 12-21-2010 8:46 AM In reply to

tobeyone:
    And available in gold!!

Petrodollars can buy anything - except taste.

• 12-21-2010 9:54 AM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

PhilLondon:

You can see the screen is thinner and the + and zone buttons now seem to be in the screen, rather than printed onto the screen.

Downloaded the Greek instructions' manual and it is there. It instructs how to setup the wifi!

Best regards

Spiros

• 12-21-2010 10:06 AM In reply to

The user guides were not available this morning. Now they need to update the Beomaster 5 user guide accordingly... oh... and push a software update!

• 12-21-2010 11:03 AM In reply to

I hope that's it not only Wifi... but also still includes IR

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 12-21-2010 12:47 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Karel that's a good point but I don't think they made such a mistake since it would be worthless to current customer list!!!!

Best regards

Spiros

• 12-21-2010 12:48 PM In reply to

PhilLondon:

Not right, read the userguide her

My Bang & Olufsen....

• BeoCenter 2 DAB/DVD mk.II
    • BeoVision 7-40 DVD mk.III
    • BeoLab Penta mk.III
    • BeoLab 4000 icepower
    • BeoLab 4000
    • BeoLab 3500
    • Beo 5
    • Beo 4 mk.I & mk.III
    •  
    • Beocom 6000
    •  
    • A8 Earphones

• 12-21-2010 2:12 PM In reply to

it is both ir and wifi, the wifi part will be for future 2 way communication, such as cover art.

• 12-21-2010 2:18 PM In reply to

Beo 6 is only an updated Beo 5 with WiFi for future products. So let's wait for a Beo 7.

I am very disappointed!

/Räuber
  • 12-21-2010 2:23 PM In reply to

Very disappointed by what????? What feature were you expecting?

• 12-21-2010 2:32 PM In reply to

you see DRAMA!!!Big Smile

• 12-21-2010 2:36 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Frankly spoken, I would expect a bit different design than oversized Beo5. Technically wise I think it's a great improvement with the wifi that gives alot of potential.

If only it could be like Beo4. It would be by far more handy to use and in my opinion more beautiful.

Best regards

Spiros

• 12-21-2010 2:38 PM In reply to

Well, it does not mention that this will be a 2 way remote for the BS5.

I would think this might just be something that talks to the masterlink gateway similar like the Ipod/Ipad can be used to control B&O products.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 12-21-2010 2:48 PM In reply to

The design is a matter of taste. I quite like the look of it. But I never use my Beo5 because: it is always out of battery, it doesn't do much more than the my Beo4 except showing a few icons.

But in term of features, I do not see what is missing in this new Beo6. The 2 way communication, which is something that B&O pioneered, then abandonned, is back, using a reliable and future proof technology. I just hope they will make full use of it.

jk1002:
    Well, it does not mention that this will be a 2 way remote for the BS5.

It is not mentioned because the Beomaster 5 needs a software update, until it is released they can't really advertise it. But it will be.

I just realised that if it does 2 way with the MLGW, that is really cool, as status information (room temperature, etc...) could be displayed on the remote's screen.

• 12-21-2010 3:22 PM In reply to

heard the software update is due end of jan, then they will release the bs5 encore

• 12-21-2010 3:27 PM In reply to

PhilLondon:

Hi Phil,

OK, let me tell you:

First I suspect a software which is easy to use by customers. P.e. my cable provider adds every few months new channels. Shall I go several times a year to my dealer to add these channels and logos to my remote? I am able to configure all telephones in my company, why B&O means I am not able to configure a Beo6? It is ok  if I have to contact my garage if I want to program a new feature to the software of my car, but this is not ok for a remote of my home entertainment!

Second you mentioned that your Beo 5 is always out of battery, I don´t think Beo 6 will be better. My Beo 4 is now 12 years old and I never changed the batteries and I don´t need a charger on the table of my living room.

Third: Try to change the volume without taking the remote in your hand: Possible with Beo4, but not possible with Beo5/6.

Beo4 was THE remote of the 20th century, but Beo6 will NEVER be the remote of the 21th century. This would be an App for the IPhone/IPad/IPod touch, but WITHOUT a Masterlink Gateway for several thousand Euros (I would accept a Masterlink Gateway LIGHT for let me say 300 Euros, only needed for making the App work).

Regards

Räuber

• 12-22-2010 6:29 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 176
    • Bronze Member

Raeuber:

PhilLondon:

Hi Phil,

OK, let me tell you:

First I suspect a software which is easy to use by customers. P.e. my cable provider adds every few months new channels. Shall I go several times a year to my dealer to add these channels and logos to my remote? I am able to configure all telephones in my company, why B&O means I am not able to configure a Beo6? It is ok  if I have to contact my garage if I want to program a new feature to the software of my car, but this is not ok for a remote of my home entertainment!

Second you mentioned that your Beo 5 is always out of battery, I don´t think Beo 6 will be better. My Beo 4 is now 12 years old and I never changed the batteries and I don´t need a charger on the table of my living room.

Third: Try to change the volume without taking the remote in your hand: Possible with Beo4, but not possible with Beo5/6.

Beo4 was THE remote of the 20th century, but Beo6 will NEVER be the remote of the 21th century. This would be an App for the IPhone/IPad/IPod touch, but WITHOUT a Masterlink Gateway for several thousand Euros (I would accept a Masterlink Gateway LIGHT for let me say 300 Euros, only needed for making the App work).

Regards

Räuber

I agree with you on the client friendly updating of the remotes ... but you have to realize the majority of people who buy B&O don't want to bother with this.

Just want to take a second and address your last point here ... the purpose of the ML Gateway isn't to allow for an iPhone interface.  Clearly it seems as if most people have missed that point.  It's not so simple to just make a "light" version meant to work only with the iPhone app.  In fact, the only thing you would be removing is the RS-232 port and lines of software that have already been written for this product in it's current state.  That's not going to make it cost any less.

Also ... not for nothing but everyone needs to really just hold tight.  A bunch of dealers all over this board pretty concisely advertised what was shown at the dealer meeting.  For some reason the app centric attitude B&O was trying to convey seemed to have gone over quite a few people's heads.

In the meantime though, as with the rest of the CUSTOM A/V business, we can do almost anything you want.  It's not always with the products you want, and you just have to be willing to pay for it.  That's part of this part of the business that's never going to change.

Store Manager Bang & Olufsen Broadway 927 Broadway New York, NY 10010
  • 12-22-2010 6:32 PM In reply to

PhilLondon:
    I just realised that if it does 2 way with the MLGW, that is really cool, as status information (room temperature, etc...) could be displayed on the remote's screen.

Do I understood you correctly that it needs the MLGW?  I would say it is a completely missed opportunity if that is the case.

Just like Räuber, I would prefer to have an app running on my mobile or tablet (either Apple/Android/W7/Symbian/RIM) or if this is cost effectively not possible I would like to buy one or two to have it work 2-way with my BS5 and preferably with my BV10, Apple mini and in multiple audio zones, as well. 

• 12-22-2010 7:01 PM In reply to

Alex:

In the meantime though, as with the rest of the CUSTOM A/V business, we can do almost anything you want.  It's not always with the products you want, and you just have to be willing to pay for it.  That's part of this part of the business that's never going to change.

I tend to agree with your line of reasoning, although I would love an easier way to make small changes to my BEO5 (mainly adding other logos and adding new channels).

I also agree that stripping the MGLW is not very likely. On the other hand, the MGLW is only worth its money if you have a lot of domotica in your house. Where I live (The Netherlands) domotica in all its flavours available, however, as far as I can tell, not widespread used. Although this is expected to change for more than 8 years now Erm

So looking at the price of the MGLW, I thought approx. € 2.000, is a lot of money if you do not have the need to integrate it in a custom A/V and domotica solution and just want to have an easy to use interface on gear your are already happen to own. Looking at the latest additions Apple made to there remote application (link) which include multiple audio zones as well it seems, I would love to have a comparable solution for my B&O gear Smile

• 12-22-2010 7:24 PM In reply to

I must say, the BEO4 is the nicest, easiest to use remote control that I have ever used. I love it - it's perfect in every way for me!

• 12-22-2010 7:28 PM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

Ncie thought oin the two way wifi, but I'll wait to see what it does.

As Paul said, gotta say also that the Beo4 is the easiest etc, even flipping around on MySkyHDi, I don't have any great need for a Beo6 just yet Smile

• 12-23-2010 1:34 AM In reply to

I was told by my dealer that wi-fi control of BeoSound 5 via Beo 6 would NOT rely on MLGW.

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >