in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-20-2010 6:07 AM by Greg. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-18-2010 1:02 PM

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

Any chance of an updated BeoSound1?

My wife would like a nice compact self-contained CD player and radio for her home office, which she could also use as wireless computer speakers by connecting an AirPort Express to the AUX IN. 

The BeoSound 1 seems almost perfect for the job, but its radio is not DAB. Not that we listen to any DAB, but obviously they're going to switch off normal radio at some point. The thing that would be more upsetting is buying the current BS1 and then seeing an updated one on sale in a few months' time (and I know B&O are not the fastest at getting "new" technology to market, but surely this particular update is already overdue?). 

Otherwise, it looks like it's the Meridian F80 - which sounds good, but looks like an evil robot toaster and is a bit tacky IMHO.

• 12-18-2010 1:40 PM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

Re: Any chance of an updated BeoSound1?

Somewhere between Zero and None. The BeoSound 8 is the new kid in town.
  • 12-18-2010 3:23 PM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

symmes:
    The BeoSound 8 is the new kid in town.

But that's just an iPod dock, isn't it? No CD, no Radio (of any kind).  I seriously wonder where B&O is going :-(

• 12-18-2010 7:03 PM In reply to

• Opman
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-31-2007
    • Cheshire, UK
    • Posts 323
    • Bronze Member

Greg:
    no Radio (of any kind).  

The BeoPlayer App gives access to 20 free internet radio stations or the paid for App gives access to around 14000 internet radio stations.

Opman

• 12-18-2010 11:30 PM In reply to

Greg:

symmes:
    The BeoSound 8 is the new kid in town.

But that's just an iPod dock, isn't it? No CD, no Radio (of any kind).  I seriously wonder where B&O is going :-(

BeoSound 1 has had a long and successful run. I'd grab one in the coming months if you want to own one at all.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 12-19-2010 9:08 AM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 01-07-2008
    • Germany
    • Posts 114
    • Bronze Member

TripEnglish:
    I'd grab one in the coming months if you want to own one at all.

+1 if you want to listen to CDs

If you have wireless lan in your office - get an BS8 and an iPod/iPad, there are more radiostations available online than you can listen in your whole life!

And you can rip your cds very easy in iTunes (even lossless) - you don't need to write the titles, singer, album - the computer get's these information from the internet for you!

• 12-19-2010 9:41 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Tim:
    there are more radiostations available online than you can listen in your whole life!

Since broadcast is linear, you'd only need two channels that broadcast for a total of, say, 25 hours a day, to have more than you could listen to your whole life Embarrassed

I keed, I keed. I do know what you mean.

On topic, I have to say that it's a shame the BS1 is discontinued. Even if you can get an internet radio app for an iPod, not all of us have an iPod (anymore), and won't be buying one ever (again). And besides, the moment the internet goes as have been happening here quite often this last month, you can't listen to the radio anymore.

I'd love to have a BS1 with DAB+, but it seems B&O thinks that radio is dead. Which is funny, given their heritage and place of business (Denmark, I mean).

• 12-19-2010 10:21 AM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

Well, sure, she can get radio stations from the internet using her Mac, never mind an app, and of course play CDs on it too. So really she could just hook up the Mac to any number of excellent speakers already available (I'd probably suggest the B&W). Given this is for the same room where her iTunes library lives, there's no need to have an iPod dock (as an ex-employee of Apple, we have iPods and iPhones coming out of our ears, but why move music from Mac > iPod > speakers??).

The issue is that she wants a simple, standalone system that will operate independently of her Mac, allowing her to play CDs or listen to the radio with the Mac switched off, but whose speakers she could occasionally stream to from her Mac using AirPort and an AUX input. 

It seems there's only two options: Meridian F80 or Bose Wave DAB.  We'd really prefer to stick with B&O, so maybe go with the illogical choice of Beosound 1 with no DAB and no love from its maker, who now prefers to sell accessories for some other company's innovations.

• 12-19-2010 11:22 AM In reply to

• stevnp
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-08-2007
    • London UK
    • Posts 43
    • Gold Member

Go for the BS1-even if, and it's a big if, FM is switched off, it's unlikely that it will be before 2020. Someone will probably come up with a DAB to FM converter allowing you to to tune to FM frequencies on the BS1 with DAB being rebroadcast from the converter. 

I had the Bose, and the BS1 is far superior. 

Other option-rip your cds and copy to SD cards and get a BS3. a lot cheaper, although sound quality not as good as BS1.

• 12-19-2010 1:01 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Good features with the Beosound 1:

1. Listen to CD music.

2. Listen to FM radio music.

3. Listen to any MP3 player ( via the A.AUX socket on the bottom ).

4. Turn your BS 1 into a Home Theatre sound system ( via A.AUX again ).

5. Move your BS 1 anywhere  ( where is a mains/power source ) .

6. Change the aluminum cover colour, and change the mood of your room.

7. Still look COOL and almost sculptural when the BS 1 is standng alone, even when the unit is turned off !

• 12-20-2010 6:04 AM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

Thanks guys - yes, I think we will go with Beosound 1 and not worry about DAB.

It looks, feels and sounds better than the Bose, and costs quite a bit less than the (rather ugly) Meridian.

Also, I've had a Century performing the same functions for me for many years, and it's been great, but I don't want to let it go and she doesn't want to steal it from me!

• 12-20-2010 6:07 AM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

stevnp:

Go for the BS1-even if, and it's a big if, FM is switched off, it's unlikely that it will be before 2020. Someone will probably come up with a DAB to FM converter allowing you to to tune to FM frequencies on the BS1 with DAB being rebroadcast from the converter.

Thanks you for this - In fact I think such a device already exists (Pure make a tiny DAB receiver that rebroadcasts on FM), so I think that settles it!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)