in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-17-2011 2:58 PM by seethroughyou. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-16-2010 6:03 PM

Studio Master WMA from Linn Music won't play on Beosound 5

i recently went to the Linn music website. they sell classical music in WMA for download.

they have the standard CD quality WMA file (371MB) for download and also a studio quality WMA version for download (1835MB).

i bought beethoven's piano concertos 3, 4 & 5 in the latter studio quality version. took a while because of its file size.

i transferred it to my beosound 5 but after 60 seconds or so it skips to the next track and so on after 60 seconds or so....

what on earth is going on? why does it keep skipping after one track to the next after a short while...?

tried downloading it a few times but same problem...?

• 12-22-2010 7:33 PM In reply to

Re: Studio Master WMA from Linn Music won't play on Beosound 5

I was looking at Linns site too and was wondering how it works with the BS5. However based on your experience I did not bought any thing yet.

So I was curious to hear whether you have solved the above issue?

• 12-23-2010 9:17 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

I have no experience with this, but the fact that the BS5 plays the file at all makes me believe it is a problem with the file, not the BS5.  Normally, with digital formats, they work or they don't.  I've not seen an unsupported format work a little bit.  Does Linn provide a checksum for the file so you can check if any bits got messed up in transit?  I'd also try the file with Windows Media Player (assuming you have a Windows computer).  On the other hand, I suppose it could have some variable bit rate business going on and the BS5 punts when it runs into higher bit rates than it likes.  Again, I'm just speculating here - take this for what it is cost (free Smile). 

Stan

• 12-24-2010 9:59 AM In reply to

It could be that the WMA file contains some kind of Digital Rights Management... A lot of devices can't play DRM "infected" files...

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 12-27-2010 7:36 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Karel Uyttendaele:

It could be that the WMA file contains some kind of Digital Rights Management... A lot of devices can't play DRM "infected" files...

But wouldn't that make it not even run the first ten seconds? I can't remember anything with DRM doing that.

To me it sounds more like the DAC or something else in the BS5 is overrun, so it stops when it's "full, or it's the file itself that is crapped. 

My suggestion to the OP is to try playing it on your computer with different software to see if it chokes up there too. I suggest different software (say, Winamp, WMP, and VLC) because what works with one might not work with the next.  If it works on some, but not on all, I'd feel okay with concluding it is the file that is cocked up. In fact, if it doesn't work on all, it has to be the file.

• 12-28-2010 4:15 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

My thoughts would be to try and play them in Windows media player - if they play OK there then I'd think the files are OK, (I've downloaded WMA Studio Quality files from Linn in the past and had them play OK in WMP).

I assume (but don't know) that the BM5 software uses a WMP core (or at least it's codecs) to play it's stored audio files. Is it possible in service mode to attempt to play the files using WMP??

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 01-10-2011 1:11 PM In reply to

i contacted Linn and they replied but never admitted to a problem or even mentioned it in their reply to me. I tried all the above recommendations so i suspect it was a problem at their end and not at my end.

they shipped a SACD which is compatible with a normal CD reader. i ripped it into standard CD quality. would have been nice to have it in studio-quality to have a comparison on my Bs5 and Beolab 5s. i might try another studio quality download for a different album from Linn and see if i can get it onto the Bs5 in studio quality.

• 01-10-2011 7:14 PM In reply to

Electrified:

To me it sounds more like the DAC or something else in the BS5 is overrun, so it stops when it's "full, or it's the file itself that is crapped. 

My guess is, the tracks will play fine on Linn's own Sneaky Music DS player. The DAC in the BM5 can handle 24bit/96khz, otherwise it wouldn't run for a minute in the first place. So I also think something in the BM5 is overrun. Not enough memory, something like that.

You could try converting the files to flac, since it is supported now. DbPoweramp is a good tool for this, and you won't loose quality. If this is all to techy, I can put up a link for you, where you can grab a track of mine that is in 24/96 flac, and see if that works. Just let me know! Smile

• 01-17-2011 2:58 PM In reply to

it didn't play after a minute to few minutes irrespective of what played it. suspect it was a fault at their end. perhaps a corrupt studio master file. perhaps a one of fault with that file alone at linn. their site is otherwise impressive.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)