in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-16-2010 11:48 AM by Tim. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-14-2010 4:02 PM

Beo 6

I would like to upgrade my Beo 5, somebody knows when the Beo 6 will be available
  • 12-14-2010 4:11 PM In reply to

Re: Beo 6

I am informed that it is expected early in the New Year, particularly urgent for most dealers as the Beo5 is no longer available from B&O.

Regards Keith....

• 12-14-2010 4:19 PM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 01-07-2008
    • Germany
    • Posts 114
    • Bronze Member

Is there any information on the pricing available - or is it like "If you have to ask, you can't afford?" ;-)

• 12-14-2010 6:24 PM In reply to

I heard 650e.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 12-14-2010 7:31 PM In reply to

• Matthew
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-01-2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

Will it be possible for existing Beo5 config files to be migrated to a Beo6, or is it too early to tell yet?

• 12-14-2010 8:12 PM In reply to

Matthew:

Will it be possible for existing Beo5 config files to be migrated to a Beo6, or is it too early to tell yet?

I would be surprised if that wasn't the case, though I imagine there will be some translation involved. I've been told the programming platform will be different (especially since you'll have on-screen ability to navigate media, etc.)

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 12-14-2010 8:43 PM In reply to

Keith Saunders:

I am informed that it is expected early in the New Year, particularly urgent for most dealers as the Beo5 is no longer available from B&O.

Thank you Keith

I am going to have to work on my timing! Unfortunately I just got mine a couple of month ago and is already discontinued Sad 

• 12-14-2010 11:44 PM In reply to

BeoFab:

Keith Saunders:

Thank you Keith

I am going to have to work on my timing! Unfortunately I just got mine a couple of month ago and is already discontinued Sad 

My dealer told me if I remember correctly, available from january. 

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 12-15-2010 4:30 AM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 01-07-2008
    • Germany
    • Posts 114
    • Bronze Member

if "e" means EUR this is ok - hopefully someone "reversengineers" the Protokoll: I see an Add-On for a Mac Mini popping up within months! This will be a great substitute for those who need/want a mediacenter with Audio + Video (or adds video to a Beosound 5). For all others the Beosound 5 alone will be perfect. If only there was an Bluerayplayer for MacOs was available (I think this is o.k. to say as long there is no dedicated Blueray-Player from B&O (may I still dream of a Bluray-Player made by B&O that supports "managed copy" able to be streamed over BeoNet?).

To be honest: This reminds me of 2001 when Apple created the first iPod - They were almost bancrupt (or better: just behind). Only few people realized how cool that thing was, and due to the fact that it only worked with macs, software had to be written to make it work with PCs. If I remember correctly the price of the iPod was several times higher as the competing MP3-Players. But it did not matter.

The visiibility of the Beo6 won't be as high as the iPods (white earphones) but it is a very nice conversation piece (as the Beo5):

I can not count the times, people looking at my Beo5 in disbelief ("is THIS the remote?!?" or "THIS is a remote!") - and when the buttons and screens light up all is set and done. I know no single person that disliked the Beo5.

Hopefully this thing will be the catalysator for getting more customers and making more profit...this could be the time to get into B&O stocks again.

• 12-15-2010 6:13 AM In reply to

apart from screen size what is the difference between beo5 and beo6

malcolm

• 12-15-2010 6:28 AM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 01-07-2008
    • Germany
    • Posts 114
    • Bronze Member

malcolm welborn:
    what is the difference between beo5 and beo6

Well, on the "hardware-side" it is just a backchannel for showing covers of cds on your Beo6 in combination with Beosound 5.

BUT what really thrills me is what will happen, once the protocol is "reverse-engineered".

You could integrate a Videoserver in your masterlink-system just by adding a piece of software on your Mac/PC (think of Linkplayer - with covers of available movies shown on your Beo6, or the actual temperature of all rooms in your house, or the picture of the webcam in front of your house shown on your Beo 6 when somebody rings at the door)

The possibilities are endless - and in opposite to your phone that is often not available as a remote when you leave, the Beo6 is always around where you have your living area!

• 12-15-2010 10:04 AM In reply to

It will also have WiFi to be used with the upcoming newer generation of TV's

• 12-15-2010 5:15 PM In reply to

Tim:

malcolm welborn:
    what is the difference between beo5 and beo6

Well, on the "hardware-side" it is just a backchannel for showing covers of cds on your Beo6 in combination with Beosound 5.

BUT what really thrills me is what will happen, once the protocol is "reverse-engineered".

You could integrate a Videoserver in your masterlink-system just by adding a piece of software on your Mac/PC (think of Linkplayer - with covers of available movies shown on your Beo6, or the actual temperature of all rooms in your house, or the picture of the webcam in front of your house shown on your Beo 6 when somebody rings at the door)

The possibilities are endless - and in opposite to your phone that is often not available as a remote when you leave, the Beo6 is always around where you have your living area!

I completely agree. I'm thinking how nice an app for the iPad will be!

• 12-15-2010 10:57 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Those first few posts make the Beo5 sound like a disaster.

I hope the Beo6 makes it, and hope this reverse engineering will happen quick. It sounds like it will really help B&O integrate some much needed newer technology and features.

Evan

• 12-16-2010 3:53 AM In reply to

Yes, "e" means Euro.

I asked my dealer if he see a point for me upgrading to the Beo6 from Beo5. Not if I don't have a Beosound 5 he said.

-Andreas

• 12-16-2010 9:26 AM In reply to

Will this Beo6 come with programming software freely available to the consumer? Having grown up in a digital society, I like to program the settings myself and tweak them to my delight. From what I've heard, the Beo5 needs to be taken to the dealer for programming. Not only is that very inconvenient for Generation Y consumers like me, it is also an added expense. Imagine having to take your MacBook back to the store to have the screensaver changed, or a program installed.

Though I don't have a BeoSound 5, the future possibilities of the Wi-Fi system as pictured by Tim is very enticing, if it's indeed possible. If we could program it ourselves, I might take the plunge. Smile

Leo

BV 10-40, BV 8-32, BL 9, BL 4, CX100, BS Ouverture, BS 2000, BG 4500, Passive, LC 1, A 9

• 12-16-2010 11:48 AM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 01-07-2008
    • Germany
    • Posts 114
    • Bronze Member

leogenghis:
    Will this Beo6 come with programming software freely available to the consumer?

Personally I believe this will not be the case. This is due to a very simple fact - the configuration of your Beo5/6 is specifically adjusted to the needs of the customer - by loading something the authorized dealer created will delete the original setup resulting in a remote that will not work any more with the setup.

But it is an open secret, that the software is leaked to the customers that want to set the Beo5/6 up by themselfes. The reason for this is very simple: if they mess up the setup B&O can not be responsible what happened.

It is very funny that when I got my Beo5 the technicians had no idea how it worked and gave me the software to handle it by myself and after fiddling around with it for a while, it was quite fun to be honest

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)