in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-13-2010 8:11 AM by soundproof. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-08-2010 2:15 PM

• rabble
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-13-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 75
    • Bronze Member

Beolab 5000 amplifier loud pop from speakers

Hi,

I recently got by Beolab 5000 system assembled and thought that all was well. All the scratching noises are gone when making any adjustments, all lights are working, but I keep gettig a scary loud "pop" when the power is turned on. Volume is off and even if I start up with the speaker switch off, once the switch is pushed to on, there is a loud one time pop that I am afraid will one day damage the Beovox 5000's. There seems to be a lot written on this on many web sights mainly concerning "vintage equipment" but not to many answers.

Is there something that needs to be cleaned, would I be able to see some arching if I opened the unit. 

Worst case before going into expensive repairs, is there some sort of inline relay that could be installed between the speakers and the amplifier. It seems to me that that's what my Beomaster 7000 is doing, as when it is first turned on or power applied, there is a delay and then you here a relay switching.

Thanks anyone for your help.

Andrew 

Andrew

• 12-08-2010 2:51 PM In reply to

Re: Beolab 5000 amplifier loud pop from speakers

I get a pop when I switch on if the speaker switch is on - but not if it is off. If I then switch the speaker on, there is no pop.

• 12-08-2010 4:35 PM In reply to

• rabble
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-13-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 75
    • Bronze Member

how much time do you wait before you switch on the speakers?

Andrew

• 12-08-2010 5:43 PM In reply to

A couple of seconds. My 4400 does much the same.

• 12-08-2010 6:15 PM In reply to

Doctor:

I get a pop when I switch on if the speaker switch is on - but not if it is off. If I then switch the speaker on, there is no pop.

Me too. Martin serviced mine for me, and I assume this is normal. I just turn the volume down when I turn it on to keep the pop to a minimum.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 12-08-2010 8:47 PM In reply to

It is totally normal, and quite loud.  I have a perfectly restored one from Frede, just a few months old now.  I confirmed this with Frede.  Here is his reply about it:

"The ‘start noise’ of the Beolab.

YES, this is normal – all Beolab 5000 are designed that way and another point – all amplifiers designed during the 60’s and beginning of the 70’s  have the same ‘feature’.  "

• 12-09-2010 1:53 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Yes, it's normal for all B&O single-supply amplifiers where the output stage has a large
    capacitor in series with the loudspeaker, which in turn is connected to ground, to isolate the
    amplifier DC from the speaker.

The pop comes from current running through the speaker as one side of the capacitor charges up
    to about half the supply voltage.

You can switch off the speakers at power up to eliminate the pop but some B&O's will still
    give the pop when you then switch on the speakers later since breaking the speaker circuit using
    the switch will also keep the capacitor from charging.
    Some have an extra bleeder resistor mounted to minimize the problem but it doesn't cure it completely.

Occasionally the same problem exists at power down but it's rarely as loud.

Martin

• 12-09-2010 3:47 AM In reply to

Played with mine again last night . Keeping the speakers swityched off reduces the pop but does not completely eliminate it when speakers then switched on. Never really thought about this before as it has always done it! I did read a review of the 4400 in which this 'feature' was criticised by the reviewer.

• 12-09-2010 4:20 AM In reply to

And I just tried with my 5000. If anything, the speaker switch exercise made the pop worse.

The 4400 is actually different in this respect as it has DC coupled outputs. I believe the pop on that design comes from the power supply voltages and perhaps preamp stages coming up at uneven rates. On those, a delayed speaker relay would eliminate the pop. Note that Speakers2 will usually pop even on the most recent Beomasters!

Anyway, I've always thought it to be just a nuisance. All the energy will be in the lowest frequencies, and the speaker woofers can take it without any danger.

I've lent a BM4400 + CX100 + Cona setup to a friend of mine. On that, the startup pop is more like a boom Big Smile

-mika

• 12-09-2010 6:26 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

When I connected an active Genelec subwoofer to my (at-work) Beomaster 4500, I soon learned to switch the sub on AFTER switching on the Beomaster! It made "quite a" boom at startup Laughing

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 12-09-2010 2:18 PM In reply to

• rabble
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-13-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 75
    • Bronze Member

Thanks everyone for your input, it would seem that I have a perfectly normal system. I'll avoid turning off the speakers before power on as that does seem to make the problem worse.

Does anyone know if there is any kind on inline relay that could be installed to get rid of the pop?

At the same time, does anyone have a spare antenna plug for the Beomaster? I can shove in some wires but it does not look to good.

Andrew

Andrew

• 12-13-2010 8:11 AM In reply to

My Beolab 5000 delivers a pop when the PHONO button is depressed as it is switched on. Am quite used to hearing that from different amp/speaker setups, particulalry with tube amp's. No pop when TAPE is depressed, as the DAC doesn't deliver a similar surge.

Not worrying about it. The strength of the pop depends upon which record player I have connected.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)