in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-10-2010 4:07 AM by Puncher. 89 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (90 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-08-2010 9:59 PM In reply to

Re: Talk me into/out of buying BS5

Steffen:

To me it seems like a lot of you guys in this thread has already "converted" to the big Apple. You're talking about what you can do with your iPhone, iPad, iPod, Apple-tv, Airplay, etc.. -or Sonos -or whatever. And why You wil not buy B&O anymore (except, perhaps, from speakers and maybe a TV).

Well -we're some people who don't have an iPhone (I'm doing fine with my HTC smartphone), and are doing fine with a PC instead of a Mac -and don't have to listen to music anytime, anywhere. (Have you tried to enjoy the silence now and then Wink )
    And guess what...I can live with the possibilities that B&O offers in the home. I do not need to  play music from my smartphone on my Audio-system at home (although I can do it) ...I see no problem in playing a CD now and then, instead of spending hours on ripping all of my collection to a computer/server/mediacenter. And yes -I do listen to Net-radio now and then -and I download music. I just don't want to throw away all of my CD's -like I don't want to throw away my books just because we have e-books. But -that's just me...Call me old-fashioned.

It's fine that you love all your Apple-gear and that you have made your own wireless home solution with that. But -what do you expect B&O to come up with then???
    Seems like whatever product B&O will come up with from now on, Your response will be: "I can do that with my Apple/"i-whatever" already...Why should I buy this?"

Sorry -but I am not a "tech-nerd". What the f... is "PUC"? And "connecting ZP90 via Spdif" is jibberish to me. Maybe B&O just appeals to us who are not tech-nerds and just want a A/V system that  is easy to set up.

And @bayerische who started it all: Watch out!!! First your wife want to get rid of the CD's -the next thing is, that she want to get rid of your speakers in favor of some small ones, that you can hardly see (or hear). Laughing

Steffen,

Thank you for such a good post. I must admit, I have been sat in the backseats thinking of writing exactly the same post on this forum as the one above for nearly 2 years now. To me the forum has been taken over by Apple proponents and leaves virtually no room for the B&O enthusiasts. It is really a place that I no longer wish to spend much time in any longer.

Of course, there are those who say "B&O should be like Apple". "Apple should buy B&O", "were only trying to make B&O realise there so far behind", "B&O are too expensive" . Well maybe...but that would then make it not B&O in my opinion.

I just cant help feeling that the pro-Apple lobby here in this forum has/is actually causing significant harm to B&O sales and their future success without knowing it. A newbie researching a possible first buy would seriously be terrified once reading a few threads in here. If B&O is akin to a man drowning in a lake, we should at very least take our foot of his head and allow him to get on with drowning. Otherwise, give him a lift out!

Sorry guy's...a strong opinion but seen in widescreen...that's how it looks to me.

I'll be back.....but not as frequently as I once did. Enjoy yourselves!

10%

• 12-08-2010 10:20 PM In reply to

Thanks for the two thoughtful posts gentlemen. I absolutely agree. I don't come around here nearly as often as I used to and find that the hive-mind of beoworld has departed so far from reality that it doesn't make sense to seriously participate. Fortunately I've never met a customer that's mentioned BeoWorld. Our press over the past few years has been almost universally positive. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 12-08-2010 10:24 PM In reply to

I would agree. As I said recently elsewhere in this forum, can someone please direct me to the forum for people who actually like B and O.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 12-08-2010 11:16 PM In reply to

Agree with Steffen and Mr 10Percent! 

I own a lot of B&O products and  NO APPLE PRODUCTS. The day when Apple will buy B&O I.ll stop buying any B&O products.

Please stop comparing them............

all sold!

• 12-09-2010 12:27 AM In reply to

@TripEnglish, @Steffen, @Mr10Percent, @Razlaw and 11048437 thank you!

F*** the Apple Ick!

Sit venia verbo. Embarrassed

BS 1, BeoCom 2, 2x LC 2, Form 2,  BS 2, BS 3, 2x Beo 4, BS 5, BM 5, BL 5,Beo 6, BS 6, 2x A8, BV 8-40, BL 8000, 3x A9 Keyring, Serenata, BeoTime, BeoTalk 400

• 12-09-2010 2:49 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

May I ask a stupid "musical feature" question : is the Beosound 5 now able to play songs gapless ??? Because that is a huge flaw that really put me out of buying this. 

• 12-09-2010 4:07 AM In reply to

Steffen:

And @bayerische who started it all: Watch out!!! First your wife want to get rid of the CD's -the next thing is, that she want to get rid of your speakers in favor of some small ones, that you can hardly see (or hear). Laughing

Haha! 

She would actually like the BL8000's instead of the BL5's!

All I can say, IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! LaughingLaughingLaughing

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 12-09-2010 4:26 AM In reply to

mbee:

May I ask a stupid "musical feature" question : is the Beosound 5 now able to play songs gapless ??? Because that is a huge flaw that really put me out of buying this. 

It always has been.  You just need to use a format that supports gapless properly (i.e. as part of the standard) and not as some proprietary hack after the fact (like iTunes).

I think the only one of these the Beosound 5 supports is WMA lossless.

• 12-09-2010 4:30 AM In reply to

I'm convinced this thread isn't about comparing B&O to Apple...

Who would like to see Apple buying B&O? Not me. Apple would never buy B&O. What the heck would they want to buy B&O for?

How I see it, digital music is a revolution in how we listen to music. Who made this revolution? Well, firstly I would say the inventors of MP3, then the makers of portable digital music players. (Not Sony Discmans Laughing)

When I refer to "digital music" I don't mean CD's, but the type we store/download on a computer. Sure there's some Apple "haters", but why? What's wrong with Apple? 

I'm positive that I would love the BS5 if I was to get it, but right now, it doesn't really make sense to push on with getting one... My significant other doesn't like to look of the BS5 (as I said, hard to understand why, but women are complicated). She's also an apple user, and familiar with iTunes etc... so in our case, getting a Mac mini to play our music, is easy, as she's ready to go at it right away. Eva, my wife, is not really keen on learning new technical stuff, and even if the BS5 is easy to use, it would take a long time for her to start using it, and a lot of phone calls to me, when I'm not around about "how the heck did I put on/change the radio channels on this thing?! And where's my Madonna music!!!???".

Laughing

You see my dilemma? Big Smile

I've had a mac mini as a music server/player before, why did I skip it? Because I couldn't get around the thought of there being something wrong with feeding 18.000 euro loudspeakers from a 599 euro computer. Call me snobbish. 

I love Apple, and that love isn't going anywhere, just as I love B&O. I have a bunch of Apple stuff, and love to use them. You who own an iPad can really see the potential in it as a remote for you music library can't you? I mean the iPhone is also good at it, but the screen is small, and not so great when you are scrolling through your music, and you get a call. This isn't going to happen with the iPad.

I won't trow away my CD's, and I will continue to buy CD's, more than I buy songs from iTunes. The music I've bought from iTunes has been so only because I couldn't find it on CD. But with a CD collection of many hundreds, it's pretty difficult sometimes to find what I'm looking for. Organizing them would be a good idea, but that wouldn't probably last long. The BS9000 will be saved, and have it's centerpiece place in our livingroom. 

Just as a side note, wouldn't we be utterly narrow sighted if we could only see B&O, today there's a flora of network music playing out there, why not combine the best of both worlds, when it is possible?

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 12-09-2010 4:31 AM In reply to

• jc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 145
    • Bronze Member

Totally agree with the "apple"posts above. Apple is overrated, it's not user-friendly at all. Never thought iTunes was userfriendly. B&o is in a different league; if some people here like it or not, the name B&o belongs in the top of the market, like Cartier, Aston Martin, to name a few. In fact it has no direct competitors. B&o never has been at the forefront of new techniques, but always has implemented new techniques once they've come up to B&o standards.

Selling points of B&o are:

1. Very good and natural sound/vision

2. Very userfriedly, easy setup, fool-proof

3. Timeless caracteristic design at very high standards (nothing less than museal quality)

4. Build quality second to none

5. Playing in the top league of consumermarket, so a certain amount of snob-appeal comes with it. (and attracts customers if you like it or not)

• 12-09-2010 4:36 AM In reply to

I've just re-read this thread and I don't see this as an Apple vs B&O issue at all! Apple products often complement B&O. If B&O was on the point of going bust I for one would be only too happy to see Apple buy and save the company with some of its spare $billions.

I had shares in Apple. I've sold them. I have shares in B&O. I'm waiting for the recovery!

Back to the topic.......... whilst I don't know how to go forward in many respects I have just ordered a Brennan for getting all my CDs onto harddisk. Whether I then just use the Brennan or connect it to some other B&O equipment remains to be seen. (It will certainly get connected to my BM2000!) The Brennan copies in lossless format and then compresses the files (unless you don't want it to) when it's in standby. Relative to what else is on the market, the copying is fast.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 12-09-2010 4:41 AM In reply to

jc:

Totally agree with the "apple"posts above. Apple is overrated, it's not user-friendly at all. 

OK... 

I respectfully disagree. Laughing

-Andreas

• 12-09-2010 6:04 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Just some thoughts on how we like to play our music...

1. touchscreen 

2. put on the wall like a pictureframe

3. easy to use interface

4. coverflow would be nice....

So right now using a touch screen pc to do this (asus ET2002T), processor a little slow, but work with i-tunes... attached to a Beosound 3000. Can be controlled via iphone (or ipad if you want a big remote).

Faster solution would  be nice, maybe imac touch 20/23" in the future?

We will see.

Neither apple nor B&O are perfect, but they can work very well together Smile

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 12-09-2010 6:19 AM In reply to

Hi,

a few thoughts from my point of view.

BS5:

Would have been a big chance for a real winner in the premium market, the technology was all there ... but the only excellence it provides is being an impressive piece of industrial design. The world goes mobile, B&O presents a stationary device that isn't ready for contemporary lifestyles of their customers. Not wireless, not open for the dominating business models in media distribution and not even ready for building a comfortable bridge for its' traditional users to transfer their CD's to hard drives with ease and comfort ... and no ... BeoPC or whatever name it has is a terrible solution and far from state of the art.

True leaders and innovators wouldn't contemplate about the possible weaknesses of competitors like Apple with its' ipad (too heavy, to clumsy to operate etc.pp), but they would have come up with something excellent on their own. Why for example can't they invent some piece of Software/Hardware, that would make seperate DAC's in their systems/hardware obsolete. You would only have to hook up some kind of Mediamaster to your LAN, patch all the other sources/speakers to it via LAN or WLAN ... enable it to integrate the new distribution models and sales channels for content and provide access to local storage like NAS ... be open minded for the change in customer behavior that has changed the media industry within a few years heavily ... and there is more to come.

I don't want B&O to become the Leica of the of the modern times ... excellent mechanical gear, characteristic design ... but simply missed the revolution in digital photography ... it took them a long time to start to recover ... although there is less Leica DNA in nowaday products, than back in the days.

Competition:

Trip stated, that future customers don't care for quality audio solutions that much. I doubt that, looking at companies like LINN and NAIM and Meridian ... and there are certainly more to join in ... that moved their portfolio heavily towards digital media and the corresponding lifestyles. Just take a look into overall ratings and testings of audio equipment and you will find LINN taking the top rankings concerning audio quality. Do you know they simply stopped to build CD-Players, because they think it's a dead horse in the future, if you take a educated look on the whole music/media industry. NAIM is integrating the itunes world, because they have the feeling that it became a quasi-standard in distribution ... but at the same time they provide what Apple doesn't ... superior audio quality and integration in complex audiophile systems. What i want to say is: The competitors have already stared to innovate ... and sell superior products ... and are trying to find a fit for the moving markets. A lot of people here, who claim beeing B&O enthusiasts, are content with functionalities that are not future proof ... if B&O sticks to these customers, they are going to go the same way Leica or Braun did. And i don't like the idea of it !!! It was innovation that made B&O the choice of excellence ! Some of you guys here may hit the first nails into a graceful B&O coffin. But it is not the people here, who want the company to become more innovate!?

Apple:

I am no Apple fan-boy ... too old for that anyway ... but i like how they innovate their products and i deeply respect how they shape business opportunities and stir up traditional marktes with superior solutions in terms of comfortable and integrative functionality ... they make life easier and the gear really works without too much hassle with setups etc.pp. That's all ... and i think that B&O could either make use of it ... or come up with something strinking better, BECAUSE it charges way more for it products. I want innovation that works ... and that adapts to the world outside ... and i am willing to pay a premium for that. That's the main reason why a buy apple. For me Apple is not suitable for status issues. It is a mass device ... but a really good one. 

Regards

Tim

BV 7-40 BR ... Beolab 5 front ... Beolab 8000 rear ... Beolab 2 Sub ... Apple TV ... Apple NAS ... Beosound Ouverture  ... Technisat HD8-S ... Sonos ZP 90

• 12-09-2010 8:09 AM In reply to

Rookie:

Hi,

a few thoughts from my point of view.

BS5:

Would have been a big chance for a real winner in the premium market, the technology was all there ... but the only excellence it provides is being an impressive piece of industrial design. The world goes mobile, B&O presents a stationary device that isn't ready for contemporary lifestyles of their customers. Not wireless, not open for the dominating business models in media distribution and not even ready for building a comfortable bridge for its' traditional users to transfer their CD's to hard drives with ease and comfort ... and no ... BeoPC or whatever name it has is a terrible solution and far from state of the art.

Regards

Tim

I agree with that, meantime B&O will launch a new version of the BS5, called BS5 Encore that will be WI FI compatible. It will be also possible to connect an external device (USB2 key for example) or a PC, Mac computer (should I may be right)..

Cheers,

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 12-09-2010 10:53 AM In reply to

With respect, I don't buy these objections.

I love B&O, I spend my time defending B&O to doubters who think it's a bling brand, I have vintage and SOTA B&O components. In my home I have B&O in five rooms, and people who visit are astonished by how it works.

There's also some personal and direct B&O history in my background, which had its ups and downs - and because of the latter, people are surprised that I still love B&O.
    This is an enthusiast's forum - but just as Porsche forums were livid when the Cayenne and the Panamera were presented to the world, we should be able to respond, as we personally feel is right, to the choices that one of our favourite brands makes, as it orients itself.

For a while, B&O has been as SONY was when it staked it all on the Minidisc, while everything was moving to "internet moveable files."

I was straight out of university, got my first job, and the first thing I bought was a Beocenter 7700. It was a miracle - I had been exposed to B&O previously, and had direct experience of the Beolab 5000, etc. 
    With regularity, B&O kept delivering miracles of form, function and expression ... and then it started floundering about.

Nothing would please me more than if I had a completely integrated B&O experience which delivered at the level I'm now enjoying at home, and I actually dislike having to put third-party components into the mix, because I have to create work-arounds.

Yes, I've embraced Apple products, but feel that the A/V opportunity which they've grabbed was there for B&O to own, and hope the company rekindles the elan which brought us product miracle after product miracle for such a long time that we ended up being spoilt.

• 12-09-2010 1:51 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Apple is always brought up to put B&O down. Sometimes there are threads only about Apple. I once counted 4 on the main page. Its ridiculous. Its gone past the "how can I add a Apple product to my B&O". Now lets show how Apple destroys B&O. So tiring and is ruining the forum. I get nauseous these days just looking at my Itouch after being bombarded with Apples on the forum. I also agree that people are doing a lot of harm to the B&O brand with all their Apple worship.

Onward B&O onward!!!!!

Durban South Africa

• 12-09-2010 2:36 PM In reply to

I think the point that Trip keeps raising, and which keeps being ignored, is very valid.  This site is in no way representative of the average B&O customer, people here are of course entitled to their opinions, but a lot of the things that get suggested for product updates are so far from what the majority of customers would want it's unreal.

I guess a large percentage of posters on here know what's connected to AV1 on the TV, know what the list button on a Beo4 is for etc etc.

Most of the customers who B&O are targeting have no idea, and no desire to ever understand the technicalities of their products.  They want an elegant, well performing, and fully managed solution, which probably includes calling their dealer if the battery runs flat in their remote. 

The obsession on this site with technical specifications of BeoLab 5, number of HDMI inputs on TVs etc is completely alien to what most B&O customers want, which is simply a solution that works and performs brilliantly.  If these customers have a TV with 2 HDMI ( i guess if you surveyed all B&O TV owners, at least 75% won't know how many HDMI the TV has), and want to add a third input they phone the dealer and he sorts it out, the new device appears under the TV, a new button appears on the Beo5, and an invoice arrives through the door for the parts and time spent.

This is a great and informative site, but if B&O started basing business decisions on the threads here, they would be out of business in no time.

• 12-09-2010 2:49 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

rednik:

I think the point that Trip keeps raising, and which keeps being ignored, is very valid.  This site is in no way representative of the average B&O customer, people here are of course entitled to their opinions, but a lot of the things that get suggested for product updates are so far from what the majority of customers would want it's unreal.

I guess a large percentage of posters on here know what's connected to AV1 on the TV, know what the list button on a Beo4 is for etc etc.

Most of the customers who B&O are targeting have no idea, and no desire to ever understand the technicalities of their products.  They want an elegant, well performing, and fully managed solution, which probably includes calling their dealer if the battery runs flat in their remote. 

The obsession on this site with technical specifications of BeoLab 5, number of HDMI inputs on TVs etc is completely alien to what most B&O customers want, which is simply a solution that works and performs brilliantly.  If these customers have a TV with 2 HDMI ( i guess if you surveyed all B&O TV owners, at least 75% won't know how many HDMI the TV has), and want to add a third input they phone the dealer and he sorts it out, the new device appears under the TV, a new button appears on the Beo5, and an invoice arrives through the door for the parts and time spent.

This is a great and informative site, but if B&O started basing business decisions on the threads here, they would be out of business in no time.

Very true......the posters who get very technical on this forum are not the majority of B&O's buyers. I think this is an extremely valid point that is often overlooked or not believed.

Durban South Africa

• 12-09-2010 3:02 PM In reply to

I'm glad that this thread has finally broken through some sort of firewall of common sense. RussR, who used to participate much more frequently (and with whom I once shared a bench at a soup kitchen) made what I found to be the best analogy regarding the disconnect between enthusiast and customer. He gave a brief anecdote about a local Mercedes enthusiast club where the president (if I'm recalling correctly) didn't even own a Mercedes! Countless other members either had older cars or none at all. Now no one would question their loyalty, but conversely no one would believe them to be a representative sample of Mercedes ownership.

Most clients and participants have vanished or gone long stretches of time between posts because the site has degraded into an anti-B&O echo chamber of non-clients. I have heard strong and aggressive opinions from members who have literally admitted never to have touched the product! And how many of us read with total disbelief the tripe spewed out before a product is even launched!?

At the end of the day, the forum is held hostage by a vocal minority who judge anything but a free TV with an Apple logo as one more nail in B&O's coffin. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 12-09-2010 3:15 PM In reply to

What I find surprising is that a number of people turn this into an brand versus brand debate. Helping people who have genuine questions is about keeping it to the product facts.

The answer I provided discussed the underpinning technology of one product versus another. On a pure technology (software+hardware) front, there is absolutely no contest. If ever you want proof, just search for pictures of the insides of a BS5 and BM5. Then do a search for pictures of the screen from actual customers. Then, when you see multiple shots of what looks like a 2001 dated operating system (that should be hidden by a skinned media player), go ahead and take your decision.

The respondent who followed up highlighted that he was very content with Windows Embedded environments and the Windows Media format. Great to have that opinion, regardless of whether I agree or not.

As someone from the tech industry, whilst I buy into the physical and usage elegance of products, I cannot overlook what I know about platforms, runtimes, codecs and industry shifts. Companies like Sonos are doing a very good job of keeping pace, understanding how customers buy and store content and recognising the changing media consumption landscape. 

I'm also saddened when I hear that my recognition of these facts simply make me no longer an ideal B&O customer and that I'm not quite the Footballer that one dealer aspires to serve. I have the current models of B&O's best products for video and sound. I was my dealers first customer for the first BC2 (which I don't own anymore as CD is dead), the first BV7-40 MKIII (because of the BS3 chassis), the first to buy the Blu-Ray upgrade and I could go on with the speakers etc... My first B&O was a 7000. Hopefully that makes a genuine customer. I just want great products that make me and my home feel good, with total integration and that subjectively delivers exceptional results and experiences. B&O does deliver this, just not in all categories currently. And no, I'm not a footballer and I have no aspirations to be in Hello magazine.

• 12-09-2010 3:18 PM In reply to

I would agree with you on the whole. However Apple customers do often share some of the value judgements of typical B&O customers. They  are willing to pay a premium for well designed and easy to use products which are made of higher grade materials. They also expect the product to have a longer than average lifespan.

I think the two sets of products complement each other in many ways. However I would not buy an Apple music system other than an MP3 (or more accurately AAC!) player and I certainly would not buy a B&O computer! (This goes for the BM5, I am afraid!) The BS5 Encore could be more interesting though as it can connect to third party computers, including Macs. From what I understand, the Beo6 will work in 2 way mode with the Encore - the Beo6 will work via wireless to the router the BS5 Encore is connected to. The first Beo6s will lack this facility but will be upgradable via a software update with no hardware additions required. Hopefully the Beo6 will be more useful than the Beo5 , which simply complicated things. I sold mine as it was becoming a paperweight!  I will fully admit to 'not getting' that!

I love B&O but I do think we are in a bit of a boring period. The BL5s are wonderful but nothing else really grabs me. The BV10 sound is just not B&O and the rest of the range is becoming a little dated. I hold out great hopes for the new chassis coming out though and I rather like the BS8!

Struggling on with my Avant and BV5 and even my LX6000, which was seemingly about to expire but has suddenly fixed itself and has the best picture of all! From any angle!

• 12-09-2010 3:39 PM In reply to

rednik:

And you think this is a good thing, and how it should be?!?!?!

-Andreas

• 12-09-2010 3:51 PM In reply to

What I find sad, and amazing at the same time is the number of post I (a B&O fanatic) to not be a genuine B&O customer, not a B&O target customer, and people like me simply don't get B&O. 

Condescending  to say the least. Reminds me of most Rolex stores... Well, Rolex can afford this attitude, B&O by the look of things don't. 

I started this thread, undecided of what to get... A BS5 or go another route. In my case several things made me go the Apple way. 

-Andreas

• 12-09-2010 4:04 PM In reply to

I don't think it's a good thing, but then I don't really think it's a bad thing either. 

Most B&O customers want a hassle free instalation that works, part of this is the relationship with the dealer and the fact that the dealer becomes a one stop shop for all the customers AV concerns.  They need never bother themselves with how stuff works, what bit rate it's encoded at, which PUc table it's using, or if the TV is at the latest software level.  The dealer does all this for them, either when requestedor when required.

It's not good, or bad.  just the way it is.  I guess the Citroen Saxo bulletin boards are buzzing the day a new software update is released for the ECU as hoards of eager teenagers huddle round their laptop to see if a flatspot which in reality is undetectable, might be ironed out.  I guess most owners of a Ferrari F430 don't care when the ECU software is updated, and know that the dealer will be in touch if there is anything that they need be concerend with 

Page 3 of 4 (90 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >