in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-06-2010 7:19 PM by Matthew. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-04-2010 7:12 PM

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Beolink Wireless and Active?

All,

According to a page somewhere on this site, the Beolink Wireless 1 supports the Beolink Active.  My interpretation of this "support" means that one can connect the Active to a Wireless receiver and have it work basically as a ML extender.  That is, the Active should behave just like a hardwired Active, correct?

Anyway, I tried this today as I'm thinking of extending the Beo in my home to virgin territory, and it didn't work completely.  If I select a source, the speakers unmute for a second, crackle a short bit and turn off.  Also, the audio master does not turn on.  However, if I select "PC", the local Active PC-input source plays fine - I think the audio master also turned on, but I don't know for sure...

My Active says "SW 1.1" on the back.  Any opinions on whether a software upgrade on the Active would fix this (my Wireless 1 was upgraded about a year ago)?

Thanks,

Stan

• 12-05-2010 8:07 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beolink Wireless and Active?

If you already own a MasterLink system (your audio and/or video system connected via
    MasterLink cables) you'll need an additional ML Cable to connect the BeoLink Wireles
    set up as transmitter.

The other BeoLink Wireless 1 for the link room has to set up as receiver.

- You will need either a Bang & Olufsen audio/video product  with built in IR receiver *) =  Master Link setup
    - or a pair of active speakers and an external IR eye = Power Link setup

- The BeoLink Wireless configured as a receiver and used in PowerLink mode acts as a BeoLink Active  (you don't 
      need the BeoLink Active "blackbox" - you can use your current IR-eye or buy a new one)

*) only supported if SW of your BeoLink Wireless is 2.1 or higher
    Current SW for BeoLink Active is 1.5,  supporting the "A.AUX" command

• 12-05-2010 10:56 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Thank you.  I guess I should have been more clear. 

I currently have 2 BeoLink Wireless 1's working fine (one set as transmitter connected to my BS900, the other set as receiver powering some BL4s in my bedroom).  I'd like to run a ML cable from the Wireless receiver (in my bedroom) to an Active (currently unused) in the next room to extend the ML network.  Is this possible? 

It seems like it almost works, but perhaps the Active's software needs to be upgraded.  However, no point in upgrading the Active if this configuration does not work.  I believe I have the latest wireless upgrade (I had them upgraded last year to support the timer functionality, but do not know the version).

Stan

• 12-05-2010 2:11 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Never tried,  but I doubt it'll be working because of the following conflict:

The "receiving" Wireless would have to be in "PL-Mode" for your bedroom
    and in "ML-Mode" for the additional room simultaneously.

Buy a 3rd BeoLink Wireless and use the IR-Receiver of your unused BL-Active.

Connecting a BL-Active to that 3rd BeoLink Wireless should work (but would make
    no sense) it's better to connect PL directly to the BL-Wireless.

PS: The SW versions of all BeoLink Wireless units used in a system have to be identical!

• 12-05-2010 4:24 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

This is now clear to me.  To make a wireless receiver work as a master link extension, then the wireless receiver cannot have local speakers connected to it.  I have tried this, and it doesn't' work Angry

My concern with adding a 3rd wireless is a) I'd have to buy it and b) I'm a bit concerned about the wireless reception for the 2nd room.

I'm aware that the wireless units must have the same software, but, when I bought them, the dealer also mentioned something about there being 2 models, and they must also be the same model?!?  He implied that there were 2 different models (maybe a mk1 and mrk2 - without any external distinguishing features - aside from the model number) - this would be important if I decide to go after a used wireless.

Thanks for all your help, Vienna...

Stan

• 12-05-2010 4:51 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

I assume, your dealer is refering to the major SW update to SW 2.1 = ML-Mode in the Linkroom.
    SW 2.1 has been implemented August-2007 to all BeoLink Wireless 1 with Serial#  > 19956171.

If you are concerned about the wireless reception in the additional room - temporarily install the
    existing set in this room to see if it works - before buying a 3rd wireless ...

The proof of the pudding is in the eating Smile

PS: Connecting the BL-Active to a 3rd BeoLink Wireless could make sense in your special case 
    (finding a place with good reception) - but, as mentioned before, under normal circumstances I'd
    prefer to connect PL directly to the BL-Wireless.

PPS: the Type # for all BeoLink wireless from 2006 till now is 1780 >> no hardware changes,
    just the SW changed August 2007 from  Mk1 >> Mk2  = all units can be updated to current SW

• 12-06-2010 6:05 PM In reply to

• Matthew
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-01-2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

Just wondering - would it be possible to use a Beolink Passive amp in a wireless ML system? i.e can you connect a Beolink passive to a ML wireless receiver via ML cable, then control the passive amp in the usual way with the IR eye connected to the passive?

• 12-06-2010 6:17 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

YES !

• 12-06-2010 6:21 PM In reply to

• Matthew
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-01-2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

Excellent! Thanks Vienna. I now have a solution for my outdoor speaker link set-up! Smile

Presumably the wireless transmitter can connect into an existing cabled ML set-up?

• 12-06-2010 6:41 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Matthew:

Presumably the wireless transmitter can connect into an existing cabled ML set-up?

YES, the transmitting BL-Wireless as well as the receiving BL-Wireless *) 
    are connected via standard ML-Cable ...

*) if used in ML-Mode 

• 12-06-2010 7:19 PM In reply to

• Matthew
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-01-2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

Thanks again for confirming that, Vienna. Much appreciated.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)