in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-28-2012 7:24 PM by Eugene. 523 replies.
Page 14 of 21 (524 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-28-2011 6:16 AM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

Re: What Are You Working On Now ?

Just finished a Dual CS713Q Turntable restoration.

TOTL in its day, and built to last.

I figure that if we all like European stuff, this might land on someone else's workbench in the future.

Standard recap, and of course the "steurpimpel" - I love that word - a pimple fits it just right.

The automatic start/stop function is inoperative without that pimple, and it's a relatively simple fix.

There's  a little metal notch under the tonearm on the TT underside. Originally, there was a plastic pimple fitted on it, which made contact with the cam arm to drive the auto function. Once the plastic pimple is gone, the cam arm floats with no control.

So, I just cut a 3.5mm length of insulation from a copper wire, and pushed that firmly onto the metal notch.

Voila!

Good for a few more years.

Menahem

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

• 07-28-2011 8:10 PM In reply to

23 days without a cigarette .... and I am a total lunatic !!!!

• 07-28-2011 9:13 PM In reply to

Well, you had some symptones before so I dont think its only because of the cigarets Big Smile, I smoke cigarets since 1962/3 something and never looked back, now I'm on 2 packets a day, and I must confes I drink some 2 bottles of good Rum per month, I still love wild parties, so for my age and the way I enjoy life, yes in todays world I'm a lunatic, and yes I also tell trues where other people chose a white lie.

But keep it up Eugene, maybe one day we meet and can take a drink together, if you dont stop drinking tooLaughing

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 07-29-2011 2:16 AM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Eugene:

Well done! Think of your poor equipment... it detests smoke, especially CD player lenses!

Jacques

• 07-29-2011 1:47 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

Eugene:

Congratulations.

On the smoking cessation, not the lunacy!

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 07-29-2011 5:58 PM In reply to

Rich:

Eugene:

Congratulations.

On the smoking cessation, not the lunacy!

Thanks all ..... I am so looney I just donated this entire 5000 set plus a 2400 and 2 sets of Beovox to a newly opened arts/dance/performance space in the Grandview warehouse district.

and yes thats me Soren, Leslie and others ....... out of drag !!!!!!!

• 07-29-2011 6:13 PM In reply to

chartz:

Eugene:

Well done! Think of your poor equipment... it detests smoke, especially CD player lenses!

Dealt with those issues over the years Chartz both from my smoking and from others as well. Smoking is absolute hell on Computers.  I have a somtimes faulty BM1600 most likely the result being poor RCA and speakers connects all smoking related. the tar on the aluminum, power cord, veneer was thick and sticky  enough that you could scrape it off with a fiindernail or putty knife.

It is about the worst example I have seen.

• 07-29-2011 6:46 PM In reply to

My dear Eugene, shall I make a picture of an ashtray we have at work outside?

It has never been cleaned and when it's full it will burn and give a lot of smoke and all this tar sticks to the lid! One day one of my colleagues asked me if I wanted to quit smoking and then he opened the lidIck! From that time on (4 years now) I immediately stopped smoking.

B&O item 1, B&O item 2, B&O item 3,...................B&O item 735

Beovirus? What's that?

• 07-29-2011 6:48 PM In reply to

Leslie:
    I immediately stopped smoking.

and started collecting B&OSmile

Beovirus? What's that?

• 07-29-2011 8:56 PM In reply to

Eugene: 24 days and counting, as you see, we are supporting you, so keep it up, I'm lost in my bad habits.

Here is one of them.

Big mug of fresh brewed black coffee

A cigaret

On the table in front of me, a freshly opened B&O unit to repair.

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 07-29-2011 9:08 PM In reply to

Leslie:

My dear Eugene, shall I make a picture of an ashtray we have at work outside?

It has never been cleaned and when it's full it will burn and give a lot of smoke and all this tar sticks to the lid! One day one of my colleagues asked me if I wanted to quit smoking and then he opened the lidIck! From that time on (4 years now) I immediately stopped smoking.

Why certainly Leslie I will take all the help I can get. Actually this is my second quit in two years the first time I lasted 11 months. My main motivator to quit originally was my mother and aunts (now deceased) poor health and breathing problems from smoking.

One of the stupid reasons I gave myself to start back up was that not smoking gave me brain lock and prevented me from "making art". But at this juncture in my life what difference does that make. The choice ad become clear that if I wanted to live an active and full life I was going to have to do it without the cigarettes. My grace of being able to have it both ways was over.

Unfortunatly the only way I ever drew and painted was with a pack of cigarettes within arms reach. Paint and smoke draw and smoke. Sit back, realax, have a smoke and look at the work and decide my edits. It's how it was done - always done. It may be a good bit of time before I pick up the drawing pencil or the brush.

In the meantime when the weather permits I put about 30-60 km on the bike.

Here is a link from the studio opening party. dont know if it is any good or not.

http://networkedblogs.com/kXjx2

• 07-29-2011 10:50 PM In reply to

Eugene, Leslie, we are getting out of bound here, Eugene do you have a block where we can see your art, I've seen varius on your pics on the forum, will PM later to both of you, time depending

• 07-31-2011 9:05 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Eugene:

Thanks all ..... I am so looney I just donated this entire 5000 set plus a 2400 and 2 sets of Beovox to a newly opened arts/dance/performance space in the Grandview warehouse district.

and yes thats me Soren, Leslie and others ....... out of drag !!!!!!!

That is great news about the smoking Richard, keep it up!!!

Are you going to have anything left to listen to at home?!

LaughingLaughing

P.S. all, his art is awesome!

Evan

• 08-01-2011 2:20 AM In reply to

Evan:

That is great news about the smoking Richard, keep it up!!!

Are you going to have anything left to listen to at home?!

LaughingLaughing

P.S. all, his art is awesome!

I know, seen some of Eugene/Richard/Madelyn his/her/both arts and video's on the net. Very mysterious and beautifull!

Beovirus? What's that?

• 08-02-2011 12:28 PM In reply to

Richard, why dont you put some of your art on people and lifestyle, I for one is very interested.

Keep it up now you are going on 30 days.

• 08-04-2011 2:41 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

I just finished re-clothing my Beolab Pentas. When I bought them (around 2009) the original cloth looked dirty grey and there were several holes and scratches around them and I decided to replace them (someday). Some six months ago I bought one of these kits. For weeks I didn't have time to start, and finally I made one of the four frets and then the project remained paused.

Yesterday and today I finally finished the rest of the frets. I had a bit of misfortune and stress to make the fabric fit perfectly and it took literary more than eight hours in total! Super Angry The instructions didn't show exactly how to make the top corners or how tightly the fabric should be fit. Especially the two lower frets were a total pain as I repeatedly fitted the fabric too tight and couldn't get the fret back on to the speaker! Also I had used a bit too much of the double-sided tape in the first pieces so I almost run out of that, just to add to the stress factor! And when the last fret was finally in place it took a bit of time to wipe all the fingerprints of the aluminium surfaces!!

I wouldn't like to do this again - but still; the now the Pentas look much better!

Original fret.

Original vs. new.

Finished! The darker fabric really brings the copper-colored line up, it used to be hardly seen against the dull grey color.

As I am typing this, the Pentas are on and playing (loudly!) "The Sun's Gone Wibbly" (Doctor Who - Series 5 Soundtrack) and it sounds truly brilliant! Cool

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 08-04-2011 6:04 PM In reply to

Nice work VilleYes -  thumbs up, a terrible job to do, but you did it! Suddenly you have new Penta'sSmile

Beovirus? What's that?

• 08-04-2011 9:37 PM In reply to

Reclothing any speaker is kind of a "not fun" job. I have 5 sets that need done. I have the cloth, the glue, the space and could make the time.

But not the desire.

30 days  tomorrow Soren/Leslie/Evan and Jacques !! Been riding my old 10 speed up and down the Olentangy bike trail since day 3. Probably putting down about 150 km a week. Not a lot of time for the Beocrack obsession but I will get back into it soon. I seem to remember promising a few people a BM1600/1700 clutch rebuild thread.

What I am working on is a collaboration with another artist who striking out on her own professionally. More or less as a interior design consultant artist. She paints, sews, makes origami lamps and does some furniture design build stuff. She covets my sexy flats and Beocenter 7700 for "props" on her interior design website.

We shall see what happens with that.

• 08-05-2011 1:35 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

lausvi:

I just finished re-clothing my Beolab Pentas. When I bought them (around 2009) the original cloth looked dirty grey and there were several holes and scratches around them and I decided to replace them (someday). Some six months ago I bought one of these kits. For weeks I didn't have time to start, and finally I made one of the four frets and then the project remained paused.

Yesterday and today I finally finished the rest of the frets. I had a bit of misfortune and stress to make the fabric fit perfectly and it took literary more than eight hours in total! Super Angry 

Sorry - but if it took you 8 hours with one these kits then there's something seriously wrong with them.

I've reclothed a few Penta's for a fraction of the price of this kit & the first set took me around 3 hours to do which included cutting all the cloth myself & not using double sided tape (which I wouldn't recommend with these - especially on the top frets, those corners are really tough). The next set I did took less than a liesurely 2 hours from start to finish with tea/beer breaks in between.

Chris.

PS. Eugene - keep the faith with the non - smoking malarky. It's been 8 months now for me & I still miss the little blighters but it does get easier.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 08-05-2011 2:30 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

What Chris said.

Plus, speaker cloth is cheap.  You can get 66" wide cloth at $2.50 per foot in any length you want (and in at least five colors).

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 08-05-2011 4:06 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Medogsfat:

Sorry - but if it took you 8 hours with one these kits then there's something seriously wrong with them.

(--)

not using double sided tape (which I wouldn't recommend with these - especially on the top frets, those corners are really tough). 

Not excatly wrong, just some more instructions would have helped.

The time consuming part was that I repeatedly put the cloth too tight. Also I was too eager to cut the extra bits off - then I had few edges where the clotch just barely made it over. For a first timer reclother it wasn't easy to evaluate how tightly it should be put.

Did you glue the cloth to the frame?

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 08-05-2011 4:11 PM In reply to

Rich:

What Chris said.

Plus, speaker cloth is cheap.  You can get 66" wide cloth at $2.50 per foot in any length you want (and in at least five colors).

But shipping is not! 35$ for shipment to the Netherlands? Rather buy them by this chap which is excellent quality and in red!

5$ per foot and 15$ shipping.

Beovirus? What's that?

• 08-05-2011 4:17 PM In reply to

lausvi:

Medogsfat:

(--)

not using double sided tape (which I wouldn't recommend with these - especially on the top frets, those corners are really tough). 

Not excatly wrong, just some more instructions would have helped.

The time consuming part was that I repeatedly put the cloth too tight. Also I was too eager to cut the extra bits off - then I had few edges where the clotch just barely made it over. For a first timer reclother it wasn't easy to evaluate how tightly it should be put.

Did you glue the cloth to the frame?

I have used the double sided tape which is more convenient to use and believe me, I did LOTS of them incl. 3 pairs of Penta's. But then again you have to use good quality tape which I'm using.

Chris is right that buying cloth and tape or glue is much cheaper then these kits.

Beovirus? What's that?

• 08-07-2011 3:35 PM In reply to

What did I do this weekend? Working on my new aquired Beomaster 900 and Type M loudspeakers with Beogram 1000 which needed some cleaning and polishing. And I started to make some speakerfrets for my self made 2500 cubes.

And my new selfmade Cube frets

Beovirus? What's that?

• 08-07-2011 5:06 PM In reply to

The BM 900, the BG 1000 and BV 1000 Speakers was my first set, bought in 1969 and was later used as a trade in for an old car, stupid, O no, B&O has no wheels.

Admiering you fret work

Page 14 of 21 (524 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next > ... Last »