in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-16-2011 3:56 PM by ibg001. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-03-2010 1:42 PM

Crackling noise with beoport and BV8-32

It seems like it is only tracks bought in Itunes store but only some.

Hi,

I have a problem with a crackling noise in the left channel on my BV 8-32 (internal speakers) sometimes when I play N.Music. 

I have the following setup:

1 new iMac 27" connected to a Beoport via the headphone jack.

1 Beovision 8-32

1 Beosound 3000

1 Beolink passiv with two passive speaker.

To play N.Music and N.Radio I use the latest BMlink.

Everything is connected with Masterlink. Two junction boxes are used. All cables and junction boxes are original Bang & Olufsen.

Fact of the problem with the crackling noise is:

1. It is not all tracks played via N.Music on my BV 8-32. Most tracks play perfect. Probably more than 90% plays fine.
    2. It is always specific music tracks also brand new tracks bought in the Itunes store. Some of the tracks on the Album "Fall from Grace" with Infernal that is a brand new album. On this album the worst noise is the track "Love is all" I also have the same problem with some Madonna tracks and others. It is always the same tracks that cause problem.
    3. Only N.Music causes problems no other sources at all.
    4. It is always in the left channel
    5. It is only on the BV8-32.
    6. The BV8-32 and the Beosound 300 is in the main room. The Beoport in a separate room. The beolink passive in a link room.
    7. No other problems the the one described.

I have never problems playing other sources through the BV8-32. Like DTV, Radio, CD etc. 

I have gone through the following possible route causes

Possible cause 1: The iMac causes the problem.

Conclusion: No. It is not the iMac for two facts. The same problem was there before I got a Mac and had a Dell PC and the tracks are playing fine directly on the iMac (internal speakers).

Possible cause 2: The Beoport is causing the problem

Conclusion: No. It is not the Beoport is all tracks are playing fine without the crackling in the link room via the Beolink passive.

Possible cause 3: The BV8-32 is causing the problem

Conclusion: No. It can not be the BV8-32 since all other sources and most tracks play fine and why should only be some specific tracks and alway these tracks.

Possible cause 4: It is the master link connections that causes the problem

Conclusion: No, since it is always the same tracks. If it is the masterlink then it would probably by all tracks or the problem should be more random if it is a bad connection. And the tracks causes the problems always play fine in the link room via the beolink passive. The master link between the BV8-32 and the junction box could have a bad connection, but then again it would be more randon or always and not always only the same tracks.

Possible cause 5: A combination of causes

A combination of the Beoport, the BV8-32 and the some special thing that happens in the decoding of AAC music files with some kind of special sound combination in the AAC files. This could be give some "noise" the the ICEpower amplifier in the BV8-32 do not like and then causes the crackling. And the Beolink Passive do not use ICEpower that could be the reason that there is no problem there. 

It could maybe also be an error in the Beoport so special codes in the AAC files are encode with some sound that only affect the ICEpower in the BV8-32?

Help

I desperately need help to solve the problem. I have asked the Bang & Olufsen shop in Copenhagen. They have never heard about this problem. I hope someone can help.

• 03-10-2011 3:09 PM In reply to

Re: Crackling noise with beoport and BV8-32

I have got an answer from B&O:

The reason is that Beovision 32-8 cannot handle AAC filer. B&O suggest to convert AAC files to MP3 files.

I do not really understand since master link send the sound in analogue format and it must be the Beoport that convert from digital to analogue. What is the problem then? Can anyone explain?

• 03-11-2011 4:40 PM In reply to

While my system has the occasional crack or click I have not been as thorough as you have in your analysis.

We may even have different problems, because:

1/ my configuration is different: macmini - beoport - BV8-32, where the macmini uses the BV8 as its screen, and I run iTunes 

2/ my clicks, snaps, crackles, and pops happen when I am playing the music with the macmini's screen being relayed to the BV8 via the HDMI connection and being displayed

3/ my clicks, etc happen when there is a large amount of white content on the macmini/BV screen ... and they go away if I minimise iTunes (it has a large amount of white space in its screen design) or if I use LinkPlayer (which is 99% black background)

4/ 99% of my music content is my CDs captured as MP3s

I do recall that a year or two ago (i.e. some time after May 2009) I saw a thread that tackle about clicks, snaps, crackles or pops on BV8s from where I got my solution of minimising the amount of displayed white space 

However at the back of my mind, I recall a clicking episode of 2 weeks or so ago where I think I was not using iTunes and where I was surprised that it was happening ... but I can't remember what I was playing with at the time

I suggest searching for the forum for the thread I vaguely remember, and also cross-posting a pointer in the Mac BeoPort Computer thread 

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 03-16-2011 3:56 PM In reply to

I do not use the BV8-32 as display. It is not in the same room as the iMac. 

After I have replied to B&O that I do not believe it is AAC files causing the problem. They have requested examples. So I have sent to files. And one of them is actually a MP3 file. 

It cannot be missing support for certain file types on BV8-32 since the digital signal is converted on the iMac even before it reach the Beoport. I seem like that it is always music with a high bit rate and "much dynamic" if it is called so.

The number plays fine via Beolink passive and also on the iMac.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)