in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-03-2010 8:50 AM by TerryM. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-02-2010 12:26 PM

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Worst Review.. ever ?

The BeoSound 8, reviewed by a certain 'Rob Waugh' - who i didn't see at the launch by the way.  In fact, if he was there, he was clearly locked in the toilet.

A laughably inaccurate review from a journalist who is supposed to be at the top of his game, working for a national newspaper and all..

Here's his 'review' - and i use that term loosely...

My points, in case you were wondering, are...

Bang & Olufsen's Beosound 8 dock is a surreal creature. Not because it takes the form of a futuristic metal bicycle (the Danes already sell seven-foot speakers shaped like kettles and a CD player that looks like an electric hob, so in a way this is rather restrained).

Seven foot speakers shaped like kettles?? A CD Player that looks like an electric hob??  Now.. I get the distinct feeling he went to an open evening at his local dealer, drank 2 cases of Chablis, smoked a joint the size of a builders arm - then collapsed in the B&O dealer's staff kitchen area. Hallucinating. Without
    his contact lenses in.

The Beosound 8 has two 70W active bass drivers. It automatically senses the shape of your room and adjusts its sounds accordingly.

What an utter load of crap!  I'm not even going to comment on that one..  He clearly once heard a man, stood next to another man, standing next to his mate, in a bar, talking about some B&O speakers, then thought he'd throw that one into an article at some point. Clown.

.. as using iPad as an iPod while out and about is as socially unacceptable as fishing out an acoustic guitar and playing the songs yourself

Nope. Now it's my turn to be mystified. I have absolutely no idea what he's trying to say there..  People make money from fishing out an acoustic guitar and playing a song themselves. They're called musicians. And people are impressed by them too. Really.

Design-wise, this is typically surefooted stuff from B&O - the big speakers balance out the sheer size of iPad, and the weight of the aluminium frame makes the whole thing less likely to topple over. 

Now here's a man that didn't do Chemistry at school.  'the weight of the aluminium frame' implies aluminium is heavy, and used to make things solid and stable. Sorry Mr Waugh - aluminium is light.. and you'll find it's the two peg feet at the rear that stop it falling over. Fool.

The wheels at the bottom contain tweeters and five-inch woofers

Now. Put your glasses on, then have another look.  They are not at the bottom, are they... Fool.

Oh, didn't I mention the price?  It's a staggering £800.

Again, you didn't do your research, did you.  It's £895. One last time. Fool.

So, there we go.

Lee

Angry

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 12-02-2010 12:39 PM In reply to

Re: Worst Review.. ever ?

9 LEE:
    The BeoSound 8, reviewed by a certain 'Rob Waugh'

What did you expect from Ben's brother?

• B&o bottle opener
  • 12-02-2010 1:37 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Not the first time B&O's products have been inaccurately reviewed by any stretch of the imagination...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 12-02-2010 3:11 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

I wonder if someone has already got there before you Lee and shot this "review" out of the water.

Scroll to the bottom and you'll see they are "no longer accepting comments on this article" Hmm

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 12-02-2010 3:30 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

How did he get a job as a tech reviewer at a national newspaper ?? - that's what irks me even more !!!

One thing, and one thing only stopped me setting fire to my screen and putting it out with an axe. He didn't roll out the phrase 'uber-cool'

Lee

• 12-02-2010 3:31 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

How irritating that one isn't allowed to comment anymore...I would have loved to. What an utter moron. Its alright not to be a fan of a product but when you can't get the basic facts even right, well, its just plain embarrassing!

Durban South Africa

• 12-02-2010 3:32 PM In reply to

The review is inaccurate but it's not as bad as it could have been. Overall it's the kind of publicity that will still do B&O some good. It might even pull more customers into the stores with its understated price!

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 12-02-2010 3:36 PM In reply to

Are we really surprised that there are some factual inaccuracies in a Daily Mail article? 

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 12-02-2010 3:37 PM In reply to

Haven't heard this equipment so no comment re the sound, but to me, it is butt ugly stuff..a far cry from the elegance which was once B&O..some companies lose their way from time to time..or just lose focus. It looks like style for style sake there...take the B&O logo off and put any Chinese logo in it's place and no-one outside of the B&O world would recognise it for anything else than another overstyled piece of marketing excercise.

You could take the logo off most of the older B&O equipment and quite a lot of people would say..oohh that's B&O..

Shame really, it probably sounds quite good...

• 12-02-2010 3:43 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Just looking through his other tosh..

Now... if i were to present to you...

"Six of the most noteworthy over-the-ears headphones.." 

what would you think he was talking about?

Grado?  Sony MDR-DJ? Bo Selecta style 'Craaaiiig David' cans?

No - he means earphones. Huh? Confused

• 12-02-2010 4:15 PM In reply to

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • A cricket ball throw from Trent Bridge
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

John's beaten me to it, but the only thing the Mail is good for is using it in the loo...

Cheers

Nigel 

• 12-02-2010 4:16 PM In reply to

Lee - its in the Daily Mail.....what else needs saying.

All thats wrong with Britain can be found in those sneering, elitist, selfish, hard-faced, heartless, horrible pages. Sad

Another good example....the photoshopped, made up,  b**locks that was written in this article, which became infamous on another forum I frequent,  when it was written a  couple of years ago..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1030641/So-DID-fashionista-LIZ-JONES-survive-Glastonbury.html

If we were at the same event, I'll eat a beo4....Angry

My main hobby, aside from Danish trinkets, and too many guitars, is going to gigs and festivals.  I've taken the kids since they could toddle, and gone with friends & family to festivals large & small all over the UK.

That year was my 12th Glastonbury, and it was a fine year.  This article was lazy, cliched journalism that bears no relation to the truth.  But people read it, and it registers...the innacuracy and the lies pass into the popular conscience...

At one stage she actually wrote " I'd call them people, but they are not that evolved".....  OK, so that's me and my friends and family is it..?? Thanks - you rude woman.Unsure

Our party included a Police Superintendant, a B&O Dealer Principal, a GP, a civil engineer, assorted students, a kwik fit bloke and an occupational therapist.

When you read stuff like that, and the Bsnd 8 review, it just makes you think.....how many articles do you read that you don't have an inside track on,  and so you just believe it...

The problem is that so many people will skim that Bsnd 8 review, and it registers somewhere in the back of the mind -  B&O is the overpriced Danish company that makes seven foot speakers like kettles, a CD that cooks food, blah blah blah....

Maybe it's not that important when reviewing an ipod dock or a festival.....but how many people get their world view from the same nonsense....their opinions are formed by articles as innacurate as the Bsnd 8 review, but about serious, life changing topics Erm

Shameful review from a shameful paper.  I simply don't know why it is read by so many people...

This sums it up nicely

• 12-02-2010 4:34 PM In reply to

Hi,

to be honest when I first saw the BeoSound 8 on bang-olufsen.com I was very sceptical and did not realy know what to expect from it.

But yesterday I had to visit my local bang & olufsen dealer (had to visit<-- sounds like punishment or something like that) to discuss the next upgrade of my B&O installation. Well what I wanted to say, I plugged in my Iphone4 started some Megadeth and was flashed.

Design ist great,

Weight is perfect,

Sound is wonderful. ...

I love the remote, so cute.

As you know I am looking for the full integration of as much as posssible in my household and therefore the BeoSound 8 only lakes one thing and that is the Link integration. Super Angry

Beo Time, A8, EarSet3i, EarSet2, BC2, BC6, BL3, BL11, Apple TV1, BEO Ballpen, BL2000, BL3500

Christmas 2010 Prize Draw 1st winner. BeoSound 9000 Mk3 

Thank you

• 12-02-2010 5:45 PM In reply to

There are other Danish Manufacturers of Hi-Fi,so the reviewer's reference to ' The Danes.....7ft high speakers....CD player..like an electric hob' is not necessarily referring to B & O.

• 12-02-2010 6:01 PM In reply to

• Judith
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on 11-05-2009
    • London
    • Posts 32
    • Bronze Member

I enjoyed the Daily Mail video.  I noticed a man drinking copious quantities of champagne Drinkswhen I was at the special event evening at B&O in Knightsbridge on 25th Novermber. Could this be a coincidence? The article is posted around the same time as the event.HmmI think the BeoSound 8 is most innovative and as always with B&O everything is in the detail - like the way in which the dock appears to float above the surface it is resting on. Lee, I hope you have managed to calm down by now. The sound is very impressive and probably Mr. Waugh would not have the knowledge to prevent down sampling of his music anyway, when he copies music to an iPad or iPod.  The choice of pastel colors available on the front of the speakers is also interesting and appeals to me, as I am currently in love with pinks and mauves.Cool Overall, I think it certainly is an impressive conversation piece and let's face it, that's half the fun of the design.  It is striking. BTW all the guests were so animated at the event, that one gentleman I spoke with about his "B&O" thought I was commenting on his "BO"! Oops.Laughing Judith

• 12-02-2010 8:02 PM In reply to

9 LEE:
    Bang & Olufsen's Beosound 8 dock is a surreal creature. Not because it takes the form of a futuristic metal bicycle (the Danes already sell seven-foot speakers shaped like kettles and a CD player that looks like an electric hob, so in a way this is rather restrained).

I wonder which CD-player Rob is talking about...Huh? "looks like an electric hob" Confused I can't recall any.
    Suggestions?

• 12-03-2010 2:22 AM In reply to

AngrySuper AngryAngry

• 12-03-2010 8:50 AM In reply to

The reference may not be to a current product.

Gryphon Audio Designs sprang to mind as a designer of distinctive products.

Their current Mikado Signature CD Player might,very loosely,fit the electric hob description.

Review at:

http://www.gryphon-audio.dk/files/reviews/139/review.pdf

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)