in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-11-2012 8:43 AM by TerryM. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (22 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-02-2010 11:53 AM

BeoVision 7-55----Owner experience?

More than likely,a small,elite group,but I would appreciate it if any owners would share their experience with the BV 7-55.

Any problems with the usual shortcomings of LCD technology,viz motion blur,uneven backlighting,black level?

I have read the FlatPanels review-is the bluish tint mentioned by them noticeable in a home environment(as compared to a showroom)?

Thanks.

• 12-02-2010 12:08 PM In reply to

Re: BeoVision 7-55----Owner experience?

The 7-55 is wonderful. I have a friend who is very much more into technical specifications and fine tuning of systems, dedicated theater etc in his house. He read the Flatpanels review and then watched our 7-55. He has never made strong statements about our other B and O including our previous 7-40. After viewing our 7-55 he said he thought we had the best tv in the world.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 12-02-2010 3:11 PM In reply to

I just love the TV and the quality of the picture, it is truly amazing compared to everything else I have seen. I have the 7-55 on a low stand with BL7.2 and BL9 as front speakers.
    http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/36534.aspx 

Just play a blueray on the TV, and you can really see the quality. But even SD signals (DVB-C) looks really good on that big screen compared to other big screen TV's. It seems that B&O does something with the SD signals.

There is something about B&O.....

• 12-02-2010 5:53 PM In reply to

Thanks for the replies.

It is really helpful to hear of actual owner's experience with a given product.

Now to arrange a demo.

• 12-02-2010 6:14 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

TerryM:

Thanks for the replies.

It is really helpful to hear of actual owner's experience with a given product.

Now to arrange a demo.

Exactly the right thing to do! I'm always wary of owner reviews, it's hard to buy something (especially if it's expensive) and admit it's not as great as you were expecting or hoped. Not that I'm suggesting this to be the case in the above plaudits but I stand by my statement - it's your living room it's going to stand in, it's you who has to watch it and, more importantly, it's you shelling out the cash. Others saying it's what you need may give you a cosy glow but try to be objective during the demo phase ... it's only you that has to live with your decision.

That said, I expect it to be at least as good as anything else out there.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 12-03-2010 3:11 AM In reply to

• Sigmund
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 06-20-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 46
    • Silver Member

My only problem with BV 7-55 is its size, too big for our living room. When can we expect BV 7-40 with LED backlight? (Or: How long can B&O be alone to sell a high quality TV with outdated CCFL technology?)

• 12-03-2010 4:58 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

Sigmund i have wondered about this for a few years and recently had a discussion with a local dealer about. After comparing it to the 10-40, i eventually had to agree with the dealer that the colours were more natural on the CFL 7-40. 

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 12-03-2010 9:11 AM In reply to

Sigmund:

My only problem with BV 7-55 is its size, too big for our living room. When can we expect BV 7-40 with LED backlight? (Or: How long can B&O be alone to sell a high quality TV with outdated CCFL technology?)

To be fair to B & O,there is a school of thought that CCFL backlighting is less prone to unevenness compared to the edge lit LED system.

I don't know if a 40" panel with full led backlighting is available from Samsung.

Certainly,Sharp produce them.

• 02-28-2011 1:00 PM In reply to

Due to unforseen circumstances,today has been the first opportunity I have had to demo the BV7-55.

The dealer's unit was combined with a Beolab 7-6 stereo speaker.

I was assured that the TV's settings were "out of the box",and due to time constraints,no attempt was made to adjust them.

The demo consisted of the standard Freeview transmissions,combined with a selection of my SD DVDs,and Blu-Ray discs.

The PQ was very impressive on Freeview,and showed steady improvement as one moved to SD DVD,and Blu-Ray.

I was impressed with the TV's Colour purity,Black Level,and it's handling of fast movements,evenness of backlighting,and off axis viewing,

However,I did notice that as the session,which lasted 90 minutes,progressed something,perhaps the glare from the screen,was inducing an headache.

Perhaps this is rectifiable by adjustment of settings.

The major disappointment was the Beolab 7-6 speaker,particularly bearing in mind it's cost.

This was highlighted by the opening sequence to the soundtrack of 'Gladiator',which sounded very 'muddied'.

The speaker appeared to cope better with simpler soundfields.

Again,the sound may be capable of improvement by adjustment of the TV's controls.

I think I will need another visit during which I will be able to adjust settings.

• 03-01-2011 3:15 AM In reply to

• John
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • Melbourne Australia
    • Posts 64
    • Bronze Member

TerryM:

Due to unforseen circumstances,today has been the first opportunity I have had to demo the BV7-55.

The dealer's unit was combined with a Beolab 7-6 stereo speaker.

I was assured that the TV's settings were "out of the box",and due to time constraints,no attempt was made to adjust them.

The demo consisted of the standard Freeview transmissions,combined with a selection of my SD DVDs,and Blu-Ray discs.

The PQ was very impressive on Freeview,and showed steady improvement as one moved to SD DVD,and Blu-Ray.

I was impressed with the TV's Colour purity,Black Level,and it's handling of fast movements,evenness of backlighting,and off axis viewing,

However,I did notice that as the session,which lasted 90 minutes,progressed something,perhaps the glare from the screen,was inducing an headache.

Perhaps this is rectifiable by adjustment of settings.

The major disappointment was the Beolab 7-6 speaker,particularly bearing in mind it's cost.

This was highlighted by the opening sequence to the soundtrack of 'Gladiator',which sounded very 'muddied'.

The speaker appeared to cope better with simpler soundfields.

Again,the sound may be capable of improvement by adjustment of the TV's controls.

I think I will need another visit during which I will be able to adjust settings.

I am not an owner of an 7-55 but I have extensively viewed it in a number of different showrooms, and have also heard the Beolab 7-6 and my thoughts as to it's sound are quite in contrast to yours.  However, I have heard it (7-6) in an AV movie role with both Beolab 5's and Beolab 9's - not on it's own.  This is an important point, because if you pop in a DVD or Bluray and are simply running the 7-6 in stereo mode with no other surround sound speakers in employ - i.e 5.1 or 7.1 surround, the processor in the TV will merely mix down the 5.1 or 7.1 soundtrack to two channel stereo.  This will result in noticeable degradation of the sound.

I don't know if this was the case re your audition, but I'd strongly recommend you try it in the context of a surround sound setup and properly level matched etc.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

John.... 

No-one ever regretted buying quality.

• 03-01-2011 8:58 AM In reply to

Beoboiinoz:

I am not an owner of an 7-55 but I have extensively viewed it in a number of different showrooms, and have also heard the Beolab 7-6 and my thoughts as to it's sound are quite in contrast to yours.  However, I have heard it (7-6) in an AV movie role with both Beolab 5's and Beolab 9's - not on it's own.  This is an important point, because if you pop in a DVD or Bluray and are simply running the 7-6 in stereo mode with no other surround sound speakers in employ - i.e 5.1 or 7.1 surround, the processor in the TV will merely mix down the 5.1 or 7.1 soundtrack to two channel stereo.  This will result in noticeable degradation of the sound.

I don't know if this was the case re your audition, but I'd strongly recommend you try it in the context of a surround sound setup and properly level matched etc.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

John.... 

Hi,

due to the configuration of the room,in which the TV would be placed,and the fact that it also accommodates my(non B & O) hi-fi system,I don't have the space for a surround sound system.

Therefore,the Beolab 7-6 was auditioned as a stand alone stereo speaker.

Given it's cost,I was not overly impressed with it's performance,but this might have been improved by adjustment to the sound settings.

I would also have liked to adjust the Picture settings,as,if as was stated by the dealer they were "straight out of the box",some thing required adjustment.

The opening sequence of 'Gladiator' instead of portraying the gloom of daybreak was more representative of bright sunshine.

Best regards,

Terry.

• 03-01-2011 2:52 PM In reply to

• pf85
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Posts 145
    • Founder

A few weeks ago I wrote about replacing an Avant with BV 7-55 w/ BL 7-4. 
    Most of the signal feed is via satellite and SD. I have not treated myself to much of Blue Ray yet. (My 7-55 is the one without integrated BR player.) However, the picture is outstanding and gives a strong presence. I did not have to adjust color settings, motion blur virtually non detectable.

Decision for BL 7-4 loudspeaker was a practical one as I have BL1s as corner speakers. So far, I am impressed with the "body" and "volume strength" of the BL 7-4.

The size of the TV is quite imposing but once it is set up... you get used to it, especially as the shapes, forms, glass and alu materials make a statement in any room.  I can only recommend to test view the BV 7-55 and then make a decision based on personal preference.

I would buy it again.

• 01-09-2012 10:04 AM In reply to

I recently had a demo of the revised BV7-55.

The dealer's set up was utilising a BL7-6 as a centre speaker in a surround sound system in which BL3s formed the front R/L speakers.

Both in a surround sound configuration,and as a stand alone stereo speaker,I remained underwhelmed by the BL7-6 which,to my ears, sounded tonally thin.

We then switched a BL7-4 for the BL7-6,and combined it with the BL3s in a 2:1 configuration.

What a contrast-tonally it was richer,and altogether the sound was more involving.

As for the new BV7-55.

The 512 zones for the backlighting LEDs help produce PQ,even  on Freeview broadcasts,that has to be seen to be believed.

The demo was a total disaster,in that I succumbed to temptation,and ordered a BV7-55,with a BL7-4,and a pair of BL3s.Big Smile

• 01-09-2012 10:17 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

TerryM:

The 512 zones for the backlighting LEDs help produce PQ,even  on Freeview broadcasts,that has to be seen to be believed.

The panel on the 55" is the best I've ever seen. Better than my old BV7-40 MKIV. Also proves how much difference the panel makes over the BS3.

Very impressed with the BV7-55".

• 01-09-2012 11:39 AM In reply to

• VANTAGE
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-02-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 22
    • Bronze Member

TerryM:

More than likely,a small,elite group,but I would appreciate it if any owners would share their experience with the BV 7-55.

Any problems with the usual shortcomings of LCD technology,viz motion blur,uneven backlighting,black level?

I have read the FlatPanels review-is the bluish tint mentioned by them noticeable in a home environment(as compared to a showroom)?

Thanks.

I concur with the previous posts - the BV7-55" is a thing of beauty, both from a design point of view and with regard to picture and sound quality, which are clearly above the other B&O models, including the 40" BV7.

It is indeed big, but once you have tasted it, seeing a 40" inch screen makes you miss the bigger size. My 27" iMac seemed huge when I bought it, but there is no way I would go for a 21" iMac now. I love my BV7 55 and would buy one again in a heartbeat if I had to.

VANTAGE

• 01-10-2012 2:46 AM In reply to

• Hungedu
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-08-2009
    • Ambergris Caye, Belize
    • Posts 128
    • Bronze Member

I've had my 7-55 since early August of 2011, and it's been a great TV. Wonderful contrast. The only fault I've seen is in some really dark movies with sparse lighting, you can see a little "cloudiness". This effect is because the local dimming is trying to precisely illuminate just a few places on an otherwise dark picture. Sometimes it's not perfect, but in most circumstances, you'll never notice it.

BeoVision 7-55 3D, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound 8, BeoLab 7-6, BeoLab Penta III, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 2, LC-1, BeoTime (analog clock), Form 1 headphones, Beo 4 remote.

• 01-10-2012 5:09 AM In reply to

• Dmc70
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-10-2012
    • Posts 1
    • Bronze Member

Sigmund, since the release of the MK VI Beovision 7-40 the CCFL technology has been replaced with LED. The reason for this is the 3D tech works better with LED.

• 01-10-2012 9:02 AM In reply to

Hungedu:

I've had my 7-55 since early August of 2011, and it's been a great TV. Wonderful contrast. The only fault I've seen is in some really dark movies with sparse lighting, you can see a little "cloudiness". This effect is because the local dimming is trying to precisely illuminate just a few places on an otherwise dark picture. Sometimes it's not perfect, but in most circumstances, you'll never notice it.

Since my changeover from CRT,because of the inherent shortcomings of LCD technology,I have been an advocate of Plasma TVs,and my four year old Pioneer is still providing excelllent PQ.

However,one of the factors inclining me towards LCD is it's greater clarity ie absence of background dithering noise.

The adoption of edge lit LEDs has introduced a number of problems which have yet to be rectified-even by Loewe on their top of the range TVs.

Even the mainstream manufacturers that have full backlit TVs are experiencing problems with both hardware,and picture,quality.

The BV7-55 has,as far as I am aware,by far the largest number(512) of backlighting zones,so the problems of 'cloudiness' or 'haloing',and non uniformity of back ground lighting should be significantly reduced.

• 01-10-2012 6:36 PM In reply to

• Hungedu
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-08-2009
    • Ambergris Caye, Belize
    • Posts 128
    • Bronze Member

I should have referred to the effect as "haloing". I have the 3D version, which is the most recent generation of the 7-55. The haloing is noticeable in some dark movies, but hardly an issue under most viewing conditions.

BeoVision 7-55 3D, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound 8, BeoLab 7-6, BeoLab Penta III, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 2, LC-1, BeoTime (analog clock), Form 1 headphones, Beo 4 remote.

• 01-11-2012 2:55 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

Just went from a 7-55 mk1 to the mk2, and I have to agree that the "haloing" is still there - but mainly on SD sources (dark scenes) - but less so than on the mk1. The black level on on the mk2 is outstanding, but what sold me was they grey tones - it does produce a very natural picture. Prior to the 7-55 mk1 I had the BV9 mk2, and the 7-55 mk2 is the first LCD set I have owned that is as "natural" as the plasma.

The speed (for start-up) of the internal disc player is much improved over the mk1, and there are less bugs - but there are some. I would consider a 3. party bluray player if you have the room for it.

I kept the BL7-6 from the mk1, but the sound quality in speaker 1 mode changed to the worse with the mk2. Another funny observation was that this TV is part of a cinema setup, and as the projector is activated the sound will rotate 90 deg and 2xBL4000 are actived as the cinema center. With the mk1, you could tell the drop in sound quality going from the BL7-6 to the 2xBL4000 - with the mk2 it is the other way around... and the speakers and cabling etc are all the same.

The TV changed the "TV speaker setting" to BL7-4 by itself, but even after switching it back to the 7-6 the sound was not as good as with the mk1. Is there something wrong with the BS3 mkIII and the "pre-calibration" for the TV-speaker when the BL7-6 is selected? I suspect so.

But, back to the PQ, this is simply stunning. And the improvement from the mk1 to the mk2 is significant IMHO.

Roger

• 01-11-2012 4:24 AM In reply to

Roger:

But, back to the PQ, this is simply stunning. And the improvement from the mk1 to the mk2 is significant IMHO.

I have a MKI, and I am very happy with it. I have thought of the MKII due to the many more zones in the backlight and the improved Blueray.

From what Roger say, I think I will ask for an upgrade price Smile

I really think that the BV7 is a design icon even though that you can not call it i "flat" screen Big Smile 

There is something about B&O.....

• 01-11-2012 8:43 AM In reply to

beolion:

Roger:

I have a MKI, and I am very happy with it. I have thought of the MKII due to the many more zones in the backlight and the improved Blueray.

I cannot vouch for it's accuracy,but I was told by my dealer that,compared to it's predecessor,the 7-55 3D has three times the number of backlighting zones.

Page 1 of 1 (22 items)