in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-15-2011 8:20 AM by Flappo. 50 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (51 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-01-2010 4:19 PM

ATV Black - Avant, simple question

I hope you can help a simple man with a simple question:

I purchased an ATV Black and also a HDMI to RGB converter

(http://cpc.farnell.com/_/av17444/converter-hdmi-to-rgb-vga/dp/AV17444?Ntt=AV17444)  Sorry i do not know how to insert a link

When I connected it I could not get any kind of picture which I kind of expected or am i doing something wrong.  My big hope was that having read lots of posts mentioning aTV Flash that i could purchase this software and it would all magically work.  Today i note that the new aTV Flash (black) beta software has become available. I have been reading through the Pre-install requirements and this all looks reasonably straight forward. But looking at the Installation instructions, Pre-install checklist instruction 2 " Ensure the AppleTV is connected to your TV, and your network (the 'Top Movies' option under movies should be visible).

Does the Pre-install software make it connect ok to my TV or how on earth can I see image mentioned in instruction 2 above?

Please can anyone tell me if this will work at all and if so how will i get the ATV to appear on my Avant screen.  Any help greatly appreciated, I have been waiting for so long to get this to work and would love to be able to access all the amazing features that are available on the new ATV with Flash.

Fingers very crossed

Peter G

• 12-01-2010 5:26 PM In reply to

Re: ATV Black - Avant, simple question

Set it all up, then Unplug and power down your Avant for at least a few minutes.  When you plug it back in, first make sure the ATV is on and the front light is lit steady.  The avant will then recognize the new input at the component inputs.

After you see the ATV, the go to Setting and General and perform the firmware update.  It will take a few minutes.

Barry

• 12-01-2010 5:53 PM In reply to

It could be an issue of setting the resolution on the Apple TV to something your Avant will be able to display. I believe the default resolution on the Apple TV is 720p, which your Avant cannot display. There's a tricky key combination to make using the remote that came with the Apple TV to get the Apple TV to start cycling through the resolutions until you find the right one. This should be in the instructions. However, I would recommend first plugging the Apple TV into another TV capable of 720p via HDMI if at all possible in order to make the correct resolution settings on the Apple TV. Afterward, you could connect the Apple TV back to the Avant.

• 12-01-2010 5:55 PM In reply to

Barry, thank you so much for the quick response, I can not wait to try it.

Can you tell me which is the correct scart socket to connect the ATV to my Avant and do i need to enter setting to tell the Avant what type of input is connected to that socket, if so which setting? Also what do I need to select on my Beo4 when I switch the Avant back on after powering down or should it just recognise the new input automatically. Finally if this is successful what would I select on my Beo4 in future to access the ATV.

Many thanks in anticipation for you advise, it is very much appreciated

• 12-01-2010 6:07 PM In reply to

hank you beojeff for responding, do you know the correct resolution that I need to set the ATV to? 

Also do I need to do this prior to Barry's process or does that bypass this process?

Once again many thanks for your great expertise and patience.

• 12-01-2010 6:29 PM In reply to

PeterG:

hank you beojeff for responding, do you know the correct resolution that I need to set the ATV to? 

Also do I need to do this prior to Barry's process or does that bypass this process?

Once again many thanks for your great expertise and patience.

Since you mentioned that you are using an RGB converter, I'm assuming that you're using a non-US Avant. The US Avant is very different from that of the rest of the world. I know that in the U.S., the Avant is only capable of 480i or 480p. Since you likely have PAL rather than NTSC, I'm not sure what your resolution would be. Apple is assuming that any tv connected to the Apple TV via HDMI would be capable of 720p. Also, I think that the Apple TV uses the HDMI connection to try to automatically select the correct resolution. Yet another problem is that the new (black) Apple TV uses HDCP handshaking via HDMI. This might create a problem for you unless your adapter tricks the Apple TV into thinking the TV has HDCP, which the HD Fury adapters do brilliantly.

• 12-02-2010 3:54 AM In reply to

If you have a computer monitor (or friend) with an HDMI connection why not firstly install on that ?

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-14-2010 4:08 PM In reply to

@PeterG,

Did you get it to work? I am thinking about also connecting an ATV to my Avant.....

• 12-14-2010 4:19 PM In reply to

I love AppleTV. In fact I have the original ATV and also the new "Black" or ATV2. I have the original connected to the US Avant via Component and the ATV2 connected to a BV8 via HDMI.

I don't think I'd go through the trouble and probably expense of forcing the ATV2 onto an Avant at this point in time. If I were starting over, I would consider Roku. It has more connection options. In addition to HDMI, it offers component AND composite, making it compatible with any Avant. You may lose the Beo4 compatibility, which for some may be a deal breaker.

Otherwise, it seems like Roku might actually offer more flexibililty overall sans iTunes integration of course.

• 12-15-2010 4:23 AM In reply to

Hi - which converter did you get and how much did it cost - I so want ATV on my Avant too.

Beovision Avant 32 RF, DVD1, Beovision 1, MX4002, Beound 3000, Beolab Penta MKII, Beovox Penta, Beolit 707, Beolink Passive, Beovox C30, Beocom 4, Beogram TX, 4 x Beo4, Form 1 & 2, Beocenter 7700, Beovox S65,

• 12-15-2010 5:11 AM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 01-07-2008
    • Germany
    • Posts 114
    • Bronze Member

For the Apple TV2 to work you need a HDMI with HDCP (thats the encryption for Bluray), I only found it on more expensive converters (around 400 EUR/USD). I am wondering, if this thing from china really does the trick - HDMI without HDCP is only  another form of DVI, not to difficult. 

It seems to me, you need something that is able to decipher HDCP like the hdfuryIII:
    http://www.hdfury.com/ 

• 12-15-2010 5:39 AM In reply to

Tim:

For the Apple TV2 to work you need a HDMI with HDCP (thats the encryption for Bluray), I only found it on more expensive converters (around 400 EUR/USD). I am wondering, if this thing from china really does the trick - HDMI without HDCP is only  another form of DVI, not to difficult. 

It seems to me, you need something that is able to decipher HDCP like the hdfuryIII:
    http://www.hdfury.com/ 

I use an HDFury to connect my BeoSystem 3 to my projector and it works beautifully. However, you definitely need to order the power supply, too, rather than relying on the power from the HDMI connection. 

• 12-15-2010 10:44 AM In reply to

With athe first generation of ATV you don't need HDCP. I had mine connected with a HDMI to DVI cable to a BV-6 (sound separate)

• 12-16-2010 5:48 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Hi Guys,

I'm really curious if you will be able to solve this, PeterG, since I would like to make a similar configuration, but with BV3 or AV9000 also using the scart input.

Today I have a Apple TV ver.1 connected to my BV3 using ATVFlash software to convert the video signal from component to composite so I can connect it directly to the Scart.
    The result is brilliant colours and sharp ( as sharp as can be on a BV3 with 480i resolution) Before I got this soultion I tried 4 different converter boxes and all resulted in a blurry picture that would just annoy me if watching a whole movie.

Now, since the release of the ATV 2 ( Black) there is no possiblity to convert the signal with software since its HDMI, so a converter box will be your only option. However, those converters mentioned in this thread, is only converting from one digital to another digital interface, so I frankly don't think that will work (correct me if I am wrong...and I really hope I am wrong here :- ) since I want a ATV2 for my bedroom AV9000)
    It seems like those converters can convert from HDMI to Component, but not Composite, right? And that will not work..in best case you will get only black and white picture..

If somebody gets an ATV2 to work on a analog CRT TV, please post..and I mean, working with a picture quality that really crisp and nice and meets the B&O level we all want....

/Peter

• 12-16-2010 6:18 AM In reply to

Peter:

Hi Guys,

I'm really curious if you will be able to solve this, PeterG, since I would like to make a similar configuration, but with BV3 or AV9000 also using the scart input.

Today I have a Apple TV ver.1 connected to my BV3 using ATVFlash software to convert the video signal from component to composite so I can connect it directly to the Scart.
    The result is brilliant colours and sharp ( as sharp as can be on a BV3 with 480i resolution) Before I got this soultion I tried 4 different converter boxes and all resulted in a blurry picture that would just annoy me if watching a whole movie.

Now, since the release of the ATV 2 ( Black) there is no possiblity to convert the signal with software since its HDMI, so a converter box will be your only option. However, those converters mentioned in this thread, is only converting from one digital to another digital interface, so I frankly don't think that will work (correct me if I am wrong...and I really hope I am wrong here :- ) since I want a ATV2 for my bedroom AV9000)
    It seems like those converters can convert from HDMI to Component, but not Composite, right? And that will not work..in best case you will get only black and white picture..

If somebody gets an ATV2 to work on a analog CRT TV, please post..and I mean, working with a picture quality that really crisp and nice and meets the B&O level we all want....

/Peter

Hi Peter,

I think you are absolutely right.

But look at this: http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/22722-converter-hdmi-video-audio-cm-388-cyp.html

With this converter it should be possible to use the new Apple TV with an analog CRT TV (p.e. Avant, AV 9000). But I can´t say anything about the picture quality.

Or am I wrong?

/Räuber

• 12-16-2010 6:39 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Hi Räuber,

Yes, that box looks like the one needed here! It has composite outputs..and even s-video.

It's a bit expensive though, but maybe its good.. The 4 boxes I tested was in the price range 50-120 Euros, but non of them gave a satisfying quality. I guess its hard to convert without loosing some of the picture quality.
    Personally, I would like to test it before buying..

I wonder what the B&O dealers suggest, they must run into these questions alot? My local dealer just says " it doesnt work"..

/Peter

• 12-16-2010 6:57 AM In reply to

Peter:

Hi Räuber,

Yes, that box looks like the one needed here! It has composite outputs..and even s-video.

It's a bit expensive though, but maybe its good.. The 4 boxes I tested was in the price range 50-120 Euros, but non of them gave a satisfying quality. I guess its hard to convert without loosing some of the picture quality.
    Personally, I would like to test it before buying..

I wonder what the B&O dealers suggest, they must run into these questions alot? My local dealer just says " it doesnt work"..

/Peter

Hi Peter,

don´t ask your dealer, most of them are not very interested in other solutions than B&O. So someone of us should test this converter box with the new ATV. I only know from people who didn´t use your mentioned "software trick" that the box works very well with the old ATV.

/Räuber

• 12-27-2010 10:47 AM In reply to

• Karla
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-19-2008
    • USA
    • Posts 81
    • Bronze Member

I’ve engaged the Borg (Apple TV Black Box) and the assimilation has begun.

The ATV2 has a really wonderful design and integrates very well with the B&O Masterlink via the Avant, but with Apple choosing only to provide an HDMI for connections; it has now created problems for connections.

We have begun by using an HDMI to Composite scaler model HSC11 by Cable Electronics, but it has provided only mixed success. The music and home integration through the Avant is perfect, but we only get grayscale for the screen.

We are moving on to another Scaler and will continue to keep you updated because getting the ATV to work with the Avant would be a great benefit for both pieces of equipment.

• 12-29-2010 4:28 PM In reply to

• Karla
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-19-2008
    • USA
    • Posts 81
    • Bronze Member

The Apple TV 2nd Generation (black) works with the Avant! The solution: feed the HDMI through the LinkStyle HD Video Convertor LK-219414. It gives wonderful color and the sound is perfectly synched. I purchased it from Amazon for $53.99 plus shipping. Have fun and enjoy!

Filed under: , ,
  • 12-30-2010 3:28 AM In reply to

• majand
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-26-2008
    • Helsinki
    • Posts 72
    • Gold Member

tgt365:

The Apple TV 2nd Generation (black) works with the Avant! The solution: feed the HDMI through the LinkStyle HD Video Convertor LK-219414. It gives wonderful color and the sound is perfectly synched. I purchased it from Amazon for $53.99 plus shipping. Have fun and enjoy!

Hi, does this box support 576i also, or is it only US version. I don't find it on any European Amazon site, hence suspicious.

Pekka

• 12-30-2010 5:12 AM In reply to

Hello,

Good news, but I also can't find it at Amazon or elsewhere in Germany.

/Räuber
  • 12-30-2010 5:12 AM In reply to

Product Features and Technical Details

Product Features

• Converts signal from HDMI formats 480i, 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p (digital signals), to NTSC/PAL 480i analog S-Video or RCA Composite Video
    • HDCP Content Protection compliant (Pass signal with HDCP downgrade)
    • HDMI 1.2a compliant
    • Easy installation, IINCLUDES HDMI, COMPOSITE and S-VIDEO cables.
    • Power requirement: 5 volts DC, 1A with 2.1mm Power Jack. Power supply included

• 12-30-2010 9:36 AM In reply to

Peter, 

I agree that the two issues you'd need to solve are the HDCP handshake and the resolution. If the converter doesn't identify itself as a TV, it may not work. I've had this issue with other combinations of devices and wound up using an Atlona balun specially designed to store the EDID data so that the devices not longer had to shake hands. This may be overkill for your purposes.

As an alternative to AppleTV, I might recommend the WD Live Hub. It's the latest iteration of the WD Live devices and now has 1TB of on-board storage, services like Blockbuster, Netflix, Pandora, etc. and can use a wireless keyboard. I've never been satisfied with either of the AppleTV versions and have been using these at home and in my showrooms for a few weeks and love them.

Good luck! 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 12-30-2010 9:41 AM In reply to

• Karla
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-19-2008
    • USA
    • Posts 81
    • Bronze Member

Both sites appear to show the product that I used for the conversion.

Page 1 of 3 (51 items) 1 2 3 Next >