in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-20-2010 5:07 PM by Nickyg63. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (25 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-01-2010 1:24 PM

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Competition Time - For a PRIZE !!!

This Christmas, we're going to try and have as much fun as possible - and what better way than having a few competitions! Yes -  thumbs up

Here we have a little present from BeoWorld to YOU if you win...  Please read on!

It's a very collectible book called 'A Blanc Christmas' featuring festive recipes from the world famous chef 'Raymond Blanc' in association with Bang & Olufsen.  Already a collectors item, we managed to hunt one down during the summer when nobody was looking!!

We're also throwing in a BeoWorld Mousemat and Coaster Set too, so you can go online whilst someone else does the cooking.. Laughing

Here are the rules...

---------- oOo ----------

We'd like to know your funniest moment involving food, cooking, eating out in a restaurant, shopping for ingredients, ordering what you thought was soup in a strange language and getting a live frog on a bed of lettuce.. you name it.  If it's food related, and funny - we want you to make us laugh with your tales of culinary woe !

---------- oOo ----------

Over to you...  competition closes at midnight Sunday.

Lee

Big Smile

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 12-01-2010 1:26 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Re: Competition Time - For a PRIZE !!!

and here's the nice bit where it's get's 'B&O' approval.. Wink

• 12-01-2010 1:30 PM In reply to

1.) My freshly married wife decided to make me a sweet potato to accompany a nice steak dinner. She knew how I liked them... lots of butter and brown sugar/cinnamon. And that is exactly what was delivered. A "sweetened" regular potato. Horrific.

2.) Same wife... vegetable lasagna... w/ garbanzo beans!

3.) Self inflicted... Belly full of whisky -dove into the fridge to see what the house lady had prepared for late night drunken binging. She was a fantastic cook! Oh yes! Her amazing chicken salad! A monsterous dagwood all prepped... downstairs I went... got comfy... and took my first bite -into a potato salad sandwich. Yes, I ate it.

EDIT...

Honorable mention: (yep, same wife)... ever had a Neapolitan meatloaf? She didn't mix the beef/pork/veal -rather layering it.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 12-01-2010 2:21 PM In reply to

Asking my mrs to help me one night when we had only been together a short while, (I am a chef so I do all the cooking at home) I asked her to wash and prepare the salad I had to take over when she used hot water and washing up liquid!!

• 12-01-2010 5:57 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Nickyg63:

Asking my mrs to help me one night when we had only been together a short while, (I am a chef so I do all the cooking at home) I asked her to wash and prepare the salad I had to take over when she used hot water and washing up liquid!!

Game over - give the man a prize!Laughing

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 12-02-2010 6:59 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

LOL @ Nickyg63  -  that's a classic!! Laughing

• 12-02-2010 3:43 PM In reply to

I have a few other stories but nothing as funny, A work collegue of my dads went on holiday abroad for the first time in france. They pulled up at a restaurant and joined some others sat outside, they asked for the chefs special and had a fantastic meal in a lovely restaurant full of locals. They asked for the bill to be told that it wasn't a restaurant at all! In fact it turned out to be somebody's christening!!

• 12-03-2010 6:08 AM In reply to

Years ago my then GF was abroad and I was staying in her much more convenient flat. I was cooking something and needed tomato purée (tomato paste in some overseas colonies, I believe).

I noticed the tin was a bit bulged but I didn't think much of it. The second my can opener pierced the lid, a stream of purée shot out, at a force that would've put any Silly String to shame. I was too amazed to do anything about it until it died out.

Cleaning the plastered white roof was fun.

-mika

• 12-04-2010 2:43 AM In reply to

tournedos:

Cleaning the plastered white roof was fun.

I can imagine! Big Smile

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 12-04-2010 2:48 AM In reply to

A long time ago I was in a bar where a girl ordered a rather expensive cocktail. The guy behind the bar must have suspected that she wasn't the brightest of creatures. He asked her: "on the rocks or with ice cubes?" She looked puzzled and asked the difference between the two? Anyone who witnessed this couldn't stop laughing.... Poor girl... DevilStick out tongue

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 12-04-2010 2:50 AM In reply to

Nickyg63:

Reminds me of my roommates when I was attending university. They always kept sugar in the freezer...

• 12-04-2010 8:21 AM In reply to

beocool:

Nickyg63:

Reminds me of my roommates when I was attending university. They always kept sugar in the freezer...

I bet that was so no-one could use it all!!

• 12-05-2010 6:05 AM In reply to

Years ago, after a long day at work, i had to go to the grocery store in order to prepare a nice dinner. I rushed in to the small store (kind of mini market) because it was about closing time. The smell of the store was awful. My eyes went directly to the man at the cashier who was talking to two other guys. He asked me gently, what do i need? The smell was really abstracting but i had to answer. I need some things, i said reluctantly, like pasta, milk, etc. All 3 of them laughed intensively. I looked at them and then a fast look around. Embarassment….In my hurry i was in the pet shop that was the exact next door of the mini market...

-Dimitris

• 12-05-2010 8:23 AM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Too much tsipouro Dimitri!!!!!

Best regards

Spiros

• 12-05-2010 12:07 PM In reply to

Haha! Not that day Spiros!!!

-Dimitris

• 12-05-2010 2:55 PM In reply to

Out for a meal with friends we had just finished a very enjoyable main course.

Suddenly my friend noticed something moving on his wife's plate. It was a caterpillar  that must have come with the side salad. He called over the waitress. She went off to see the manager and then came back full of apologies and gave us all a free dessert and coffee, and my friend's wife got a bottle of expensive wine.

As a joke, when we came to leave my friend asked for the return of his caterpillar..........

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 12-05-2010 3:34 PM In reply to

• Toby
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-04-2010
    • Worthing
    • Posts 23
    • Gold Member

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

Hi,

The two events I am going to tell you happened 3 years ago on the same day while trying to impress my new girlfriend.

I wanted to cook her a dinner that would convince her I was the right man for her, the meal was to be, chestnut and champagne soup followed by venison in chocolate jus.

First off to Sainsbury to get everything I needed. I managed to find most thing except for the herb marjoram, given up looking I decided to ask the kid at the fruit and veg section. He look was surprising to say the least and he said to wait there. He wondered off and 5 minutes later he returns followed by a security guard, who grabs me by the arm and drags me out the shop, telling me in aloud voice that Sainsbury’s does not sell drugs and not to hassle the staff. I protest saying that I was looking for Marjoram, which just seems to make the matter worse.  (i was banned from Sainsbury’s for nearly six months until that particular security guard left)

I managed to get all the ingredients in another supermarket (apart from the marjoram)  and pent the rest of the day preparing and cooking the dinner. The scene was set, the open fire was going, champagne was poured and we were having a great time. I put a few chestnuts on the fire to roast while I went and finished off the soup. Bring the two bowls of soup out of the kitchen into the dining room one of the chestnuts on the fire exploded and hurtled towards me. Luckily not hitting me but the noise was enough to make me jump out of my skin and throw the soup into the air, covering me in chestnut and champagne soup.

The evening can’t have been that bad as the girlfriend 2 years later married me (still not made tried to make that soup again).

• 12-07-2010 1:36 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Some brilliant stories here - thank you all !!

After extensive consultations, we have reached a decision...

The washing salad with hot water and washing up liquid pipped the other tales of woe to the post - so Nickyg63 is crowned winner of the competition this time!

A big THANK YOU to all those who entered.

If Nickyg63 can PM me his address, i'll get the book and mousemat off straight away! Yes -  thumbs up

Lee

Smile

• 12-07-2010 2:43 PM In reply to

Congrats, Nickyg63. Well done!

• 12-07-2010 4:44 PM In reply to

Congratulations Nicky. Bravo! Yes -  thumbs up

-Dimitris

• 12-07-2010 5:21 PM In reply to

Thank you!

Really i think the prize will go to the mrs as she deserves it!

• 12-07-2010 5:24 PM In reply to

Congratulations - keep us posted if you get any more good stories out of that! Laughing

-mika

• 12-07-2010 6:19 PM In reply to

Nickyg63:

Thank you!

Really i think the prize will go to the mrs as she deserves it!

Well done! LaughingLaughingLaughing

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 12-08-2010 9:34 AM In reply to

Congrats to Nicky... Soap and Salad -nice light meal!

...and a warm welcome to Toby w/ a very funny first post!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 12-20-2010 5:07 PM In reply to

Collected my prize from the post office today!! Thank You all for voting for me, I have enjoyed the cd and going to sit down and read through the book! So again thank you to Lee for donating the prize, much appreciated Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (25 items)