in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-12-2011 6:15 AM by kallasr. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-24-2010 8:45 AM

Apple TV which generation should I buy 1 & 2 ?

Hello guys

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question.

I was thinking about getting a Apple TV, but right now I have the BV5 as my main TV.

And the new gen2 have only HDMI connector!

Can both gen 1 & 2 be used with airplay?

Share you thoughts!

Thanks

Regards Anders

• 11-24-2010 11:33 AM In reply to

Re: Apple TV which generation should I buy 1 & 2 ?

Gen 1 isn't going to be updated,as far as I'm aware.Therefor no Airplay.

I have the 1 and like the idea of local storage.But will probably get a Mk 2 shortly.

Although I may get a Mac Mini instead.I'll probably wait for the next update.An SD Mini does appeal...that may be a few updates away,however.

• 11-24-2010 11:48 AM In reply to

Gen 1 has Airplay already but for Audio only. It will not get Video and Photo through Airplay though.

Although the idea of a HD is tempting, it isn't very big and you need to select what you are going to send to it. Synchronisation is LONG and annoying.

I wouldn't buy a GEN1.

• 11-24-2010 8:35 PM In reply to

PhilLondon:

I wouldn't buy a GEN1.

Not sure about that. It has to be connected with a BV5.

GEN2 only has optical out, and a BV5 doesn't decode PCM-stereo via spdif.

• 11-25-2010 5:27 AM In reply to

DoubleU:

PhilLondon:

I wouldn't buy a GEN1.

that brings me to a new question! is it even possible to connect it to my BV5? Gen1 have only HDMI and components connections

Regards Anders

• 11-25-2010 8:17 AM In reply to

Apple TV1 doesn't have Airplay it has Airtunes,which is different.

Sure it can stream from your Mac,but the Airplay icon isn't accessible on an iPhone with 4.2.1 update.So you can't stream from the Phone/Touch.

Airtunes is not Airplay.

• 11-25-2010 8:21 AM In reply to

AirTunes was audio only. It has been extended to Photo and Video and is now called AirPlay to reflect this. But the audio part is the same and is compatible.

• 11-25-2010 8:50 AM In reply to

Airtunes on the ATV1 is as you say.But it is not Airplay,which you said it has.

Airplay functionality will let you stream from a handheld device.You cannot do this with ATV1 as it has Airtunes and not Airplay.Big difference.

You can,however,use your device as a remote via the Remote App.

Airtunes has developed into Airplay.They are different.

• 11-25-2010 1:16 PM In reply to

ThePriest:

DoubleU:

that brings me to a new question! is it even possible to connect it to my BV5? Gen1 have only HDMI and components connections

The digital audio part will stay a problem. The BV5 is not able to decode to 2.0 stereo. Also the latest software won't help you. You have to use the red/white RCA's in order to get sound. An external DAC will do the trick though.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I assume your TV is hdready? If not, you will only get a B/W picture by connecting the green RCA to a CVBS-input on the BV5. CVBS is available in the scart.

• 12-02-2010 7:54 AM In reply to

I had my ATV connected to my Beovision 6 with a HDMI to DVI cable. No sound through the cable though so i connected the analog audio. You can also get a optical to coax convertor for digital sound. For example see here:

http://www.allekabels.nl/Optische-Kabels/5/1426/Converter.html

• 12-12-2010 10:09 AM In reply to

You're going to be limited to the first gen Apple TV for several reasons. The Apple TV 2 requires HDMI, is only 720p (not 1080i), and uses HDCP. I actually prefer the first gen Apple TV in some respects. The menu layout makes your library more accessible (the new version buries your media library under a "computers" heading). Also, you have access to MUCH more content via the huge number of networks available (the new version has stripped down the networks to only a handful). Also, you have the option to purchase content from your tv. You DON'T have to use synching and can turn off any synching.

The netflix feature on the new Apple TV is really nice, but you probably can access netflix via your blu-ray player or ps3, if you have one.

• 12-12-2010 3:23 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Still very happy with my 1st generation of ATV. Of course you need the ATVFlash in order to have a decent media player.

Another huge for me advantage is the 160gb hard disc that I can have various movies, photos etc.

As my not concerned about music (thanks to linkplayer) I think that the capacity is quite enough.

I'm quite disappointed that for the 2nd generation everything has to be streamed. This I hate!!!

Of course if you need a higher resolution you probably should get a MK2.

For the record, I use the ATV on my master TV which is a 4-42 with Beosystem 2.

Best regards

Spiros

• 12-13-2010 3:37 AM In reply to

Spiros:
    I'm quite disappointed that for the 2nd generation everything has to be streamed. This I hate!!!

They are really to different answers to what may be a common question.

I subscribe to this site's newsletter, they just mailed me an interesting point of view about the new generation of solutions, here is a draft of the letter:

http://gdgt.com/discuss/this-is-draft-something-im-thinking-putting-bgp/

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-10-2011 4:17 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Hi Guys,

To get back to the original question, I agree with Spiros, you need ATVFlash on a 1st generation ATV. That gives you colour picture without any adaptors directly to a Scart connection and now it also gives you Airplay, both Video and Audio working exactly like the ATV2. To make that happen you need to install RemoteHD ( which you do from the maintenance menu when you have ATV Flash and also the RemoteHD app on your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad if you have one of those.

So, this gives you all the functionality on a ATV1 that is on a ATV2 currently, plus the harddrive storage.

If you descide to get a ATV2 you will need a hardware adapter ( to convert from HDMI to Composite/Scart) since your BV5 probably only have analog inputs. I know ATVFlash is working on a new version for ATVFlash for ATV2 that allows to connect directly to a NAS or external harddrive, so this will pretty much take care of the storage needs so you dont need to have your computer on when watching a movie or listening to music.

The price for ATV1 or ATV2+video converter will probably be more or less the same.

What is to the ATV2's favour is that its running iOS, which mean that we probably pretty soon will get an "appstore " for it just as for all the other apple products....can be very exciting..

/Peter

• 01-12-2011 12:59 AM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Dear all,

I will agree also about the iOS of the ATV2, however I keep insisting that ATV is just a media player!! Nothing more nothing less.

Therefore the only use from my point of view is watching films, series etc.

Personally I don't even use it for music thanks to Phil's excellent Linkplayer.

So bottom line is make the best choice according to your personal needs!

Best regards

Spiros

• 01-12-2011 6:15 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

For ATV1:

And for MKV files you will need a "Decoder" Card from Broadcom: Crystal HD BCM970012 or BCM970015.

But since this only supports playback of 1080p files sent to tv in 720p (so no native blu-ray rip 1080p resolution) I will use mine with beosystem 2 (which is 480p only) - hopefully stb-c will support the atv (saw apple remote on the list).

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)