in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-26-2010 1:27 AM by Dillen. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-22-2010 9:07 PM

Beogram 1000 newbie...

I picked up this Radiogram 1200 last week from the original owner.  He immigrated here to Canada from London, and brought his well loved stereo with him!  My luck, I can't imagine too many people shipping this guy...it's pretty heavy!

What I'm looking for is a new belt.  The one that is in it now is very loose!  I'm sure I'll also need a new stylus/cartridge as well.  Any advice in that area? Can anybody shed some light where I can get these items?

Also, I was looking on the product pages and noticed that all the Beogram 1000's don't quite look like this one.  All the pics seem to show a black version. 

Help and advise, please!

Thanks!

GuySmile

• 11-22-2010 9:08 PM In reply to

Re: Beogram 1000 newbie...

Yikes...sorry for the H U G E picture.  This is my first time posting a pic.

Guy

• 11-23-2010 1:58 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

The Beogram 1000 came with several different motors, as two, three and four speed (16/33/45/78 RPM) and
    the early ones had this grey hammer-effect lacquer.
    Wonderful product and very popular.
    The radiogram is a bit rarer to see than the Beogram 1000 itself.

You are also missing the tiny handle for the tonearm and that record cleaning thingy at the back is not original (but was
    also popular, I've seen lots of them on Beograms).

Martin

• 11-25-2010 6:35 PM In reply to

Smile

Thanks for the info Martin...I have found a website that sells the belt and a replacement stylus (sp7).  I actually put on an old album and got it to play (badly).  When the parts come I plan to clean and lube it and then enjoy.

Thanks!

• 11-26-2010 1:27 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Please report back when you have received the new belt.
    There are sellers that claim that their belts will work but they only considered
    the belts size when producing them and not the elasticity.
    The elasticity is particularly essential in these decks since the belt should of course
    have a good grip around the platter and the idler wheel but at the same time it should also
    allow the idler wheel to swing away from the motor pulley with only little force when changing speeds
    and accept that the idler wheel sits farther away from the platter at higher speeds.
    Without the correct elasticity, one function won't work.
    So make sure you can change speed (33/45 etc.) with the new belt.

I can supply belts for most Beograms but I haven't yet found a producer capable of
    making suitable belts for this Beogram series.
    Size and friction is not the problem, the elasticity is.
    When you have the old and new belts side by side, you can easily tell if the new belt will work.

I've had lots of requests from Beogram owners, who bought a promised-to-be-suitable belt on Ebay etc. that,
    when fitted, turned out to be no good but I couldn't help them either.
    I think the sellers genuinely believe their belt works but they haven't tested it themselves.

If everything else fails, ask B&O. They reproduced the round (cross section) belts a couple of years ago,
    not cheap but I suppose they will work.

Let us know your results.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)