in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-29-2010 4:47 AM by MartinM. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-22-2010 4:22 AM

• MartinM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-07-2008
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 49
    • Bronze Member

Beocord 7000 Fault

I decided out of interest to recap my Becord 7000 and see what could be had from that. As it was in need of a belt replacement I thought now would be a good time to try this. Having replaced all caps (there are quite a few!)in the audio path with Nichicon FC type and all other with Nichicon PW's as well as the belts I was expecting some improvement. However, at this point in time this is not the case. When playing in the Forward direction, the sound quality is poor and has an audible "Warble" in the background. Playing in the reverse"Turn" direction the sound is clear, no warble but I get an annoying mechanical ticking sound. This has been described in another thread as being the brake arms riding a gear but I cannot see how to make it clear the gear.

Any ideas?

Filed under:
  • 11-22-2010 6:22 AM In reply to

Re: Beocord 7000 Fault

After all that work,what dissapointment!!

This was a common problem with these decks.B&O changed the mech to a multi-plastic geared job.The auto reverse does'nt quite complete it's cycle,so the record/play head is'nt quite aligned when the tape runs in one direction.Also the brakes don't completely release,hence the warble.

The official solution was to replace the mech on a part exchange basis.You obviously have great patience judging by what you have achieved so far with the recap.I would have a go at the mech.I've managed to repair some in the past,although it is fiddly.The machine is worth it,it's capable of great sound.

Regards,

Nick

• 11-22-2010 2:37 PM In reply to

• MartinM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-07-2008
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 49
    • Bronze Member

I've also got a Beocord 5000 and 5500. The mechanics on the BC7000 just looks and feels cheap compared to the other two.

I didn't know that there was an issue with the BC7000 mech's. I've left the head unit alone as much as possible as I'm very weary of changing any alignment. Could you elaborate on the fix you mentioned. I did have a close look at it when changing the belts but couldn't see anything bent, broken or that looked obviously out of place.

• 11-23-2010 5:41 AM In reply to

Yes indeed,the earlier decks were more robust.I guess B&O needed a "universal" mech to use across the range,and the later job was obviously cheaper to make too!!In fairness,it works well normally.

I can't point you directly at a suspect part,I think it's that the tolerances of the plastic gears are fairly variable.I fiddled about driving the mech through it's cycle manually,and watching what happens,then managed to tweak it to work properly.

Don't touch the head alignement if you can possibly avoid it,it's rarely out unless someone has previously jumped to the wrong conclusion!

I may have some notes about this problem from B&O too,I'll sort through the "vaults".

Regards,

Nick

• 11-28-2010 4:52 PM In reply to

According to the fault report from B&O,the problem is due to the plastic guides etc breaking away from the chassis.I guess this was why they considered it easier to replace the mech? I did'nt see this with the ones I worked on though.

Hope you can persevere with it.The mech was used in BC35/4500,Beocentre 9300 and 2500/Overture.The BC3500 seems to crop up cheaply here,praps you could find one to canibalise?

Nick

• 11-29-2010 4:47 AM In reply to

• MartinM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-07-2008
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 49
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the info. Handy to know. I've resolved the issue. See my new post regarding solution and recap project:

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/36537/302758.aspx#302758

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)