in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-30-2010 7:19 PM by Calvin. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-19-2010 12:05 PM

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

Sticky Century Door - Tips

Well the glass door on my century has gotten a bit sticky.  It closes fine and it's not the sensor but it needs a little tap/encouragement to open up.  I'm assuming that this is dust or the like in the mechanism and that it just needs a nice open and clean.  I'm fine with opening up electrical equipment but given that these units are a lot more expensive that when I went through other B&O systems, has anyone got any tips from doing this?  Anything that helps me avoid damaging the glass/frets/electricals would be much appreciated.

• 11-19-2010 2:34 PM In reply to

Re: Sticky Century Door - Tips

The rubber belt is probably worn out and needs replacement. It can be done by someone technical, but it is not easy for someone who is not technical.

• 11-19-2010 2:47 PM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

Thanks, thought it might be something like that.  I've got an Engineering degree so i don't mind the technical side of stuff but I can't remember who it is on the site that sells the belts and things; I can get some money paypaled over if you PM me though

• 11-19-2010 3:21 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Member Dillen (Martin) supplies belt kits for many item such as beograms & beocords but I'm not sure if he has what you need. I would try him any way. I would imagine it would be a fairly standard item which B&O may still stock.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 11-20-2010 4:22 PM In reply to

I've had this as a problem with my Century from day 1! I find that if the room gets cold in the winter, the door simply won't open and has to be opened manually - very very annoying and a bit embarrasing when you are trying to show it oof to friends!!!

• 11-20-2010 4:22 PM In reply to

I've had this as a problem with my Century from day 1! I find that if the room gets cold in the winter, the door simply won't open and has to be opened manually - very very annoying and a bit embarrasing when you are trying to show it off to friends!!!

• 11-23-2010 10:50 AM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

I mentioned this to a friend who said it might be the cold - it's in my kitchen and he has the same problem with a (non B&O) band driven system in a cold part of his house.  Nonetheless, he said getting a new band couldn't do any harm, might fix it, is probably about in line with the age of the system and would probably be quite cheap anyway.  I'll check back some point in the next week with the result.

• 11-30-2010 7:19 PM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

I emailed the local store and was told that there were 3 possible bands that could be fading.  As I don't have a car right now to drive the (somewhat heavy) unit along, I decided to open it up and came up with the following findings (I need an answer to #5)

1. The frets/grills are held by screws in the corner and the slide off to the left/right though the mechanism is on the left hand side
    2. I assumed it would be a simple motor-pulley arrangement but it's a somewhat complex unit that I wouldn't want to take apart without either a service manual or a video camera or a lot of time to properly take it apart
    3. There is a visible band, quite small, that appears to self tighten.  Presumably there is a 3rd wheel under the plastic cover that adds tension
    4. There was a lot of dust/mess, particularly visible on the glass.  When I cleaned everything and reassembled, the door actually worked fine (problem solved)
    5. The small holder/bracket that the glass door clips to dips down slightly when the weight of the door is on it.  I am tempted to suggest that this is adding to the friction that prevented the door opening [?]  Does anyone know whether this is normal?  If this isn't - and I don't want to completely dismantle the system to find out - is it fixable or is there a bracket or piece of metal with fatigue?  My suspicion is that there is perhaps a screw that's supposed to hold this in place that's worked loose and that if so I'll need to do a complete strip down of the unit in order to tighten it[?]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)