in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-20-2010 11:19 AM by vikinger. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-18-2010 2:42 PM

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

Avant for bedroom

Hello all I am thinking of buying an avant for my bedroom tv with a sky box connected to it (locally) Did all of the avant's have master link and stb control for a basic sky box for free view? I think a basic one with master link should be ok as long as i control a sky box! Did the avant use an ir blaster like the new tv's do. Have an ir blaster like the new tv's do? Do they all have master link and can be set to video option 6 so I can access vmem audio from it?

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 11-18-2010 3:45 PM In reply to

Re: Avant for bedroom

I have a US Avant in my bedroom and like it. However, I would certainly not buy an Avant in this day and age. The Avants were plagued with a fault in their component hi-def input that often caused a magenta hue in the video. Furthermore, the "high def" is only 480p. The lack of an HDMI port today would be a deal-breaker as well. The lack of an HDMI port and lack of 720p would prevent the use of the new second generation Apple TV. The Avant was fine in a world where high definition was still in its infancy; however, today it is just too far behind in technology.

• 11-18-2010 3:50 PM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

What is the alternative that is cheap! I will only use it for a sky box and to access my apple tv sound from the main room Beovision3 maybe I already have the stand

Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 11-18-2010 5:41 PM In reply to

Sean,

Go for a late model dvd RF28 or 32.

I would avoid a curved screen avant nowadays - apart from potential faults and age, they just look a but "old" with a curved front.

To answer your points for UK variants - using a sky box into the RGB scart imput is a superb picture.  Full control via STB-PUC codes and a blaster ...just like your BV7.

I use the VTAPE input for line-level sound from a pc, running spotify etc.  So, in link rooms, its just Vtape for digital sound.

We have two avant's - one with sky HD (used as a standard sky plus box, I don't have sky hd subscription, but bbc hd, and a few others are still available and it is a stunning picture), and one with bt vision.  The picture really is also superb.

A bit small compared to many peoples TV - and if your used to a 40" LCD, it will look tiny.

One last point - the sound is also great..... its a big box, so loads of air to move, and avants just sound "right" to my ears - like BL4000, a very natural balance is achieved.

just check the tube is OK before you buy.....£££'s to replace, far more than buying the whole thing in fact.

• 11-18-2010 6:08 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Yeah see if you can find a beovision 3, post 2004

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 11-18-2010 6:46 PM In reply to

Get an RF Avant. Great picture and great sound for a bargainous price.

US Avants were different from RoW don't forget.

I'm thinking about getting another...

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 11-18-2010 7:06 PM In reply to

I would find the BeoVision 8 price to be quite reasonable for a much more technologically up to date tv for the extra cost.

• 11-19-2010 5:40 AM In reply to

• andy
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • weston-super(!)-mare
    • Posts 123
    • Founder

Seanie..

i have an RF28 in my bedroom, with local sky box, also connected via ML to my Ouverture....but...also....connected via RF to my BV7 downstairs and the MiniMac...so in my bedroom i can have...

Local Sky

Downstairs SKY+

Ouverture (radio/cd)

Itunes from the Mac(air ported to the ouveture)

its a bit fiddly to remember how to watch a recorded programme from the downstairs box, but its only because i dont do it very oftten !

hope this helps...and Avants are chip and chips these days....

Andym

• 11-19-2010 5:46 AM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

Excellent i think i will find a Avant or a BV3 for my new bedroom.

So am i correct in thinking that both TV's has STB and Masterlink as standard?

I spoke to the dealer this morning and he said that if i set it to option 6 then i should be able to access the sound only from vmem connected to my main tv by using vmem or av-vmem.

Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 11-19-2010 7:41 AM In reply to

beojeff:

I would find the BeoVision 8 price to be quite reasonable for a much more technologically up to date tv for the extra cost.

I year what you are saying but the Beovision 8 will be around 5 times the price of an excellent late-model  Avant which is now at a price where you won't be too bothered if it expires after a couple of years. this is a bedroom TV not a front room TV after all.

Personally for a bedroom I would go for the latest LX I could find,  cost would be virtually zero but it is more compact than the Avant an still a great TV

Simon

• 11-19-2010 4:17 PM In reply to

UK Avants have superb picture: 32 RF DVD is the one to go for in my opinion. However, in the bedroom, depending upon the size of the room and whether you want to view when reclining in bed, any TV at a standard height from the floor is likely to be too low, and in the case of the Avant you might find those superb speakers blasting into the side of the bed. I would only go for an Avant in this situation if I could turn it towards a seating area.

If you don't want to go for a wall mounted plasma/ LCD as an alternative to the Avant, why not try a BC1 on a pole mount from Lifestyle? Our pole mounted BC1 is doing great service with a slightly reduced pole height that leaves the top of the TV at 2m from the floor.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 11-19-2010 5:36 PM In reply to

While in the America we never had the opportunity to enjoy the BV1, I agree with Graham that this is a better choice for the bedroom. It just seems like the bulk of an Avant, combined with it's fixed position which is relatively low for a bedroom might be problematic.

The BC1 also seems to be less expensive, and if outfitted with ML, I think can be a great set for the price.

• 11-19-2010 6:54 PM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

Does the bv1 have ml and stb control?

So am I right in thinking that the normal model cannot be a link room set and a ls set cannot have stb????

Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 11-20-2010 4:50 AM In reply to

Seanie_230:

Does the bv1 have ml and stb control?

So am I right in thinking that the normal model cannot be a link room set and a ls set cannot have stb????

Hi Seanie,

My BC1 is used as a stand-alone TV, but it does have Master Link and it uses a STB. One of my very first queries on this forum was about activating the radio of the BC1 because it had previously been in a link room/ multi room set up and the radio function had presumably been switched-off so as not to interfere with another radio/ tuner in the same room. You just need to establish that the relevant modules are in the TV when you buy it  as fitting later will now be disproportionately expensive.

Graham

• 11-20-2010 7:25 AM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

Morning All

After reading the above post about the Bcenter1 i am quite interested in that tv for my bedroom.

So as i understand it it can access (SOUND) main room sources (apple tv connected to the bv7 by hdmi but sounds is sent over ML and uses vmem)

I can disable the radio so the radio can be the one on my beocenter 9300 on the link system and

What happens with DVD i have the BV7 Bluray and DVD is assigned to that so how will i differenciate betwee the two dvd players?

Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 11-20-2010 9:16 AM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

I am watching a BC1 on ebay at the money but it has a table stand.

Are the stands changeable?

Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 11-20-2010 11:19 AM In reply to

Seanie_230:

I am watching a BC1 on ebay at the money but it has a table stand.

Are the stands changeable?

Yes. Mine started life on a video stand, then moved to a wall bracket and finished up on a pole! My BC1 was an eBay purchase, and the later stands came from Lee.  If I'm not mistaken some table stands were not motorised so just make sure that the TV you purchase has the motor if that's what you want/ need.

Graham

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)