in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-17-2010 4:58 PM by PhilLondon. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-10-2010 8:07 AM

Beosound 8: Let´s talk about AIRPLAY!

Hello,

I think I am not the only one who misses Airplay in the new Beosound 8. So I wonna start a discussion to realize this feature because we have to wait probably since 2020 for a Beosound 8 "Encore"!

I would like to select songs, playlists and radio stations on my IPod without going to the Beosound 8 and I want to hear music over the Beosound 8 while doing other things with my IPod (p.e. check my mails or internet surfing).

I think the solution could be the new Apple TV by using it only for audio streaming via Airplay:

The Apple TV has HDMI and optical digital output for connecting to TV or audio receiver. The Beosound 8 provides USB input (digital) and cinch input (analogue).

My first idea: HDMI output of the Apple TV and USB input of the Beosound 8. But I think there is no converter available to connect in this way. Or does anybody knows such a converter?

My second idea: The CM-388 converter: http://www.normwandler.de/Downloads/Brochure/CM-388.pdf. I would connect the Apple TV from HDMI output of the ATV to HDMI input of the CM-388. Then I would connect the analogue audio output of the CM-388 to the analogue input of the Beosound 8. I think it should work!

So I would be able to stream any music via Airplay from my IPod in my hand to the Apple TV and could listen to the music played over the Beosound 8. A nice solution for my kitchen!

What do you think?

Regards

Räuber

• 11-10-2010 8:26 AM In reply to

Re: Beosound 8: Let´s talk about AIRPLAY!

I think (hope) it will be possible with the new 4.2 software for iPhone and iPad (later this week) to stream music to the Airport Express. Than the AE can be connected to the Beosound 8.

According to the manuel BS8 you can stream for sure from your Mac with the AE.

Jasper

• 11-10-2010 8:35 AM In reply to

Raeuber:

Hello,

I think I am not the only one who misses Airplay in the new Beosound 8. So I wonna start a discussion to realize this feature because we have to wait probably since 2020 for a Beosound 8 "Encore"!

I would like to select songs, playlists and radio stations on my IPod without going to the Beosound 8 and I want to hear music over the Beosound 8 while doing other things with my IPod (p.e. check my mails or internet surfing).

I think the solution could be the new Apple TV by using it only for audio streaming via Airplay:

The Apple TV has HDMI and optical digital output for connecting to TV or audio receiver. The Beosound 8 provides USB input (digital) and cinch input (analogue).

My first idea: HDMI output of the Apple TV and USB input of the Beosound 8. But I think there is no converter available to connect in this way. Or does anybody knows such a converter?

My second idea: The CM-388 converter: http://www.normwandler.de/Downloads/Brochure/CM-388.pdf. I would connect the Apple TV from HDMI output of the ATV to HDMI input of the CM-388. Then I would connect the analogue audio output of the CM-388 to the analogue input of the Beosound 8. I think it should work!

So I would be able to stream any music via Airplay from my IPod in my hand to the Apple TV and could listen to the music played over the Beosound 8. A nice solution for my kitchen!

What do you think?

Regards

Räuber

I think that you don't want a BS8, you just want an absolutely different BeoSound.

I didn't want to write on this post, but, guys, the BS8 is an I-P-O-D D-O-C-K, has anybody really thought about that?? Huh?

Really boring...

Jq. BS4 BL3 A8 Form2

• 11-10-2010 8:36 AM In reply to

Beta users of iOS 4.2 have reported the ability to stream to AE units from iPhones and iPads.  So, unless that gets dropped last minute (AirPrint has reportedly been severely crippled at the last minute - http://www.9to5mac.com/34837/34837), you should be good to go.

Jeff

• 11-10-2010 8:42 AM In reply to

Airtunes is not dropped. Just plug an AE on the back of it and you're ready to go.

p.

• 11-10-2010 8:42 AM In reply to

The AE solution is a good one. I wouldn't want any other technology built into a B&O product since their lifespan will almost certainly outlast whatever technology they'd integrate. With the AE model, you can just pop on the new version when Apple changes things.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 11-10-2010 8:50 AM In reply to

to xegoon- no Airplay will cost them sales and referred sales.

FACT!

As will the price.

I'd buy one and recommend to many others [who would do likewise] if it had these bases covered.

As it is I'll probably get an alternative/stop-gap - the new Audyssey or an Arcam rCube @ £350 and £500.

• 11-10-2010 9:12 AM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

Synergy:

to xegoon- no Airplay will cost them sales and referred sales.

FACT!

As will the price.

I'd buy one and recommend to many others,who would do likewise.

As it is I'll probably get an alternative/ stop-gap - the new Auddessey or an Arcam rCube @ £350 and £500.

I tend to not get into Pis**ng contests regarding features and benefits, marginalized or missing......But, while your assumptions may be true, though I REALLY doubt it, I just consider the low value of AirPlay in the grand scheme.  Pretty light feature when you really get into the details, though it would be nice to have.  For me, can't think of a time when AE and an app wouldn't be just fine.  And price?  People buy for their own reasons, so price is completely relative to what the market will bare.  Time will tell.   

And because everybody is allowed an opinion about the competition, here is mine.  While I will reserve judgement on sound until I hear it, the look is incredible, particularly when comparing it to a Zeppelin.  That machine looks like a giant suppository.  And the junior version looks like Bose.    

I am sure we will hear plenty of similar hate from Engadget commenters today.      

r

• 11-10-2010 9:19 AM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

Just checked Engadget.  Not as brutal as I would expect for B&O, but US haters are still in bed asleep after a long night of passing judgement on that which they have never experienced.

• 11-10-2010 9:20 AM In reply to

symmes:
    That machine looks like a giant suppository.

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

I am so confused and on the fence w/ the BS8... all I really have to offer for now: iPod dock -nothing more. The rest (AirPlay, etc...) will sort itself out. I think that the shots of it w/ the new Nano "touch" actually looks the most balanced and subtle.

I think it would be very nice to have in my office room or kitchen, on the wall!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 11-10-2010 9:24 AM In reply to

Jasper050:

I think (hope) it will be possible with the new 4.2 software for iPhone and iPad (later this week) to stream music to the Airport Express. Than the AE can be connected to the Beosound 8.

According to the manuel BS8 you can stream for sure from your Mac with the AE.

Jasper

Hello Jasper,

that would be fine if it works with Airplay and Airport Express without running ITunes on a PC!

So let´s wait and see until IOS 4.2 comes out probably this week....

/Räuber

• 11-10-2010 10:08 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 176
    • Bronze Member

I don't get it ... why is it such a big deal to have airplay?  The Airport Express solution is just fine if you ask me.  After all, you CAN control that using the remote app on the iPhone/iPad and it is your HOME (ie. fixed) music collection.  Airplay to me just seems like one of those things like PnP that is cool to have, cool to talk about but in the real world to the mass consumer probably wont get used a whole bunch.

Keep in mind also the BeoSound 8 is an IPOD DOCK.  I *guarantee* you there will remain a much larger iPod dock market even if Airplay does become pretty popular.

Store Manager Bang & Olufsen Broadway 927 Broadway New York, NY 10010
  • 11-10-2010 10:31 AM In reply to

I don't really understand how people are going to use BeoSound 8: it is basically an active stereo loudspeaker with VERY limited remote control features: step up/down, volume up/down, and play/pause, and just one source: NMUSIC (which, believe it or not, is activated on Beo4 or Beo5 by pressing ...NRADIO?!).

If you are going to stream your music via USB, you are limited to 5 m as this it the USB standard limitation; this means BS8 should stay in the same room as your PC or Mac.

If you use the aux-input, you need your system to be close at hand for controlling it.

If you use an Airport Express via aux-in, same story: you get the audio playback from your PC or Mac, but how do you control the source?

Isn't it much easier to link the Airport Express to ANY BeoLab , use your Iphone or Ipad/Ipod as a 2-way remote control and disregard the BeoSound 8??Hmm

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 11-10-2010 11:10 AM In reply to

Seems like the biggest shortcoming of the long awaited B&O iPod dock is that it is an iPod dock.

-mika

• 11-10-2010 11:22 AM In reply to

Alex,people want an integrated solution.

Minimal mains leads.

Minimal cables.

Not having to rely on a third party device [AE] to distribute content via a network.

I have an Airport Express and it limits where I can place a dock or whatever peripheral device.

I want to be able to plug and play,no connections,move the device relatively freely [within the constraints of the mains supply] move from room to room as required.

I want to control the BS8 via the B&O app on my phone/touch/pad wherever I am in the room and still do other things on the device.

Airplay offers this solution.

I am desperate to buy a great hi end dock [style,design,pride of ownership,build quality,flexible functionality and so on]

To spend nearly £1000 on a device that has so many limitations,when it needn't have, makes no sense to me  at all.

Which is why,begrudgingly,I won't be buying one.And I do want to buy one!

• 11-10-2010 11:33 AM In reply to

Reminds me of the ps3 controller, same design language. imo it looks good but not great, I hope no one hates me for this but the B&W zeppelin is still the best looking iPod dock (not that I care, I dont have an apple product).

• 11-10-2010 12:08 PM In reply to

• Fulgore
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 63
    • Founder

Hi,

I think I get on for our sleeping room.

AE connected to it and use the iPhone or iPod touch to controll my Mac to play the music.

Sascha

• 11-10-2010 12:19 PM In reply to

I just got a Sonos Ipod dock and it is very cool.  I can browse songs on my ipod from the Sonos controller, and play those songs in any zone.

• 11-10-2010 12:50 PM In reply to

tournedos:

Seems like the biggest shortcoming of the long awaited B&O iPod dock is that it is an iPod dock.

Yep, and seems that some people simply doesn't read and the only thing that can say is "I want... I want... I want...". What the hell...

Anybody has thought that the iPod/iPhone/iPad is a music container and not really a remote?? What is the BS8: a speaker dock for iPod/iPhone/iPad, so why spend 1.000 € in a product that only has sense with an iPod/iPhone/iPad connected and not connect the device on the dock but control it with this iPod/iPhone/iPad (!!) as a remote?? I think this type of reasoning is simply madness and I also think that an iPod/iPhone/iPad is an expensive remote

Fortunately, there are a lot of people with real criteria that value the things for what they are and not for what they must be... These people will find in the BS8 a great dock for not only their iPod/iPhone/iPad but also for their wife's, their husband's, their kid's, their lover's, their neighbor's, ...

Jq. BS4 BL3 A8 Form2

• 11-10-2010 12:56 PM In reply to

Denon receiver to get airplay update: http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=26405

When we will read such news from B&O?

/Räuber

• 11-10-2010 5:49 PM In reply to

• Seven
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-22-2008
    • Posts 35
    • Bronze Member

Airplay is good if you want to stream a limited, short piece of media. What most people do is hours of background music, and for this use case it's a bad solution:

• having your iPod/iPhone constantly stream will kill your battery life
    • the iPod/iPhone hasn't limited storage

A much better solution would be to have a server streaming to your Beosound8, controlled by a remote app on your iPod/iPhone. So your pocket device is using battery when you change tracks or volume and sleeping at all other times, so you still have battery when you're outside and it counts. Plus you get as many track as you can put on your server hard drive. 

Here's a my suggested setup: mac server in a cupboard, ipod itunes remote app, apple tv and your choice of b&o speakers.

• 11-11-2010 5:26 AM In reply to

Again the fabulous Sonos could help Big Smile

-Connect it to the Beosound8

-Play everything internet has to give

-access and play all kinds of drives via the sonos ... it can handle NAS, ipod, ipad, computers ... whatsoever.

-control everything via the superb sonos app ... using an ipad is very favourable and gives you the largest remote you can have for decent money ... don't buy the sonos remote controller, it's not faster or better, but nearly as expensive as an ipad.

The Sonos ZP90 costs around 300.-€ ... i would have expected such an invention from B&O ... it is Beolink 3.0 for me.

Best regards

BV 7-40 BR ... Beolab 5 front ... Beolab 8000 rear ... Beolab 2 Sub ... Apple TV ... Apple NAS ... Beosound Ouverture  ... Technisat HD8-S ... Sonos ZP 90

• 11-11-2010 6:47 AM In reply to

Rookie:

Again the fabulous Sonos could help Big Smile

-Connect it to the Beosound8

-Play everything internet has to give

-access and play all kinds of drives via the sonos ... it can handle NAS, ipod, ipad, computers ... whatsoever.

-control everything via the superb sonos app ... using an ipad is very favourable and gives you the largest remote you can have for decent money ... don't buy the sonos remote controller, it's not faster or better, but nearly as expensive as an ipad.

The Sonos ZP90 costs around 300.-€ ... i would have expected such an invention from B&O ... it is Beolink 3.0 for me.

Best regards

Some good points here......

• 11-11-2010 7:04 AM In reply to

Asking for Airplay from B&O is akin to asking the French to provide German cuisine before their own, I would think. B&O does have its own interconnectivity solution, and Airplay would be chewing right into it ...

The fact that they've managed to do what they should have done four years ago, create an iPod dock, is a miracle. I wouldn't dare ask for more.

• 11-11-2010 7:13 AM In reply to

I think they were not even aware of AirPlay until it was announced by Apple a few weeks ago.

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >