in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-30-2010 4:05 PM by Stephan. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-10-2010 6:34 AM

Question about the calibration-process for Beolab 5

Hi,

I have a question about Beolab 5 and the calibration process. I "accidently" started the calibration process on one of my BL5 and stopped it after 5-10 seconds by pushing the botton again. Do you think that the former calibration in that speaker has changed and do I have to re-calibrate it? The reason I ask this is that I calibrate my speakers in the corners in my room to get less bass and after that I move them out in the room. As you know, they are very heavy and I hope I don´t need to re-calibrate the speaker because of my "accident".

Regards
    Martin

Beolab 5 with sw 3.0,  BV7-55 3D without Bluray(MK II), Beolab 7-4, Beolab 4000 MKII, Beolab 3500, Beovox CX100, Beosound 9000 mkIII, Cabinett 2054, Beo4 MKII, Oppo BDP-93 Blurayplayer (B&O-version)

• 11-10-2010 8:20 AM In reply to

Re: Question about the calibration-process for Beolab 5

I would recalibrate - have you tried rolling the speakers as you would a beer barrel, by holding on to the large disc? That's what I do when moving mine - the disks are super solid and allow for that. (A B&O delivery man used that method when delivering mine.)

Just remove your watch and any ring you're wearing, or wear gloves, and you'll be done in a few moments.

Cheers.

• 11-10-2010 8:39 AM In reply to

Thank you Soundproof!

Regards
    Martin

Beolab 5 with sw 3.0,  BV7-55 3D without Bluray(MK II), Beolab 7-4, Beolab 4000 MKII, Beolab 3500, Beovox CX100, Beosound 9000 mkIII, Cabinett 2054, Beo4 MKII, Oppo BDP-93 Blurayplayer (B&O-version)

• 11-10-2010 9:09 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

The way I see it, is if you can't hear a problem there ain't one!

Olly.

• 11-10-2010 3:01 PM In reply to

Hi,

the BL5 does not save a setting until it has completly finished the calibration process.

But there is little sense in calibrating the speaker in rooms different from where they should actually play!? 

How do you get too much bass from a Beolab5 ... i had to buy a Beolab2 in addition to get decent bass.

Best regards

Tom

BV 7-40 BR ... Beolab 5 front ... Beolab 8000 rear ... Beolab 2 Sub ... Apple TV ... Apple NAS ... Beosound Ouverture  ... Technisat HD8-S ... Sonos ZP 90

• 11-10-2010 3:08 PM In reply to

Hi Tom,

The accustics in a room depends on how the room is (type of wall, floor, roof etc...). I have very much accustics in my room and the bass is a little bit too much when I calibrate the speakers where they should play. So I calibrate them in the corners (left and right corner) and get a little bit less bass.

I have never heard of someone who also have a BL2 to get decent bass together with BL5. Maybe your room "eats" a alot of bass.

/Martin

• 11-10-2010 4:13 PM In reply to

People will have different bass preferences. But something's wrong if the BL5s aren't delivering enough bass, and one needs to boost it with a BL2. I suspect the bass-signal isn't sent to the BL5s.

A friend visited the other day, and played a selection of tracks by Peaches. (At your discretion, advisory has been issued.) I usually listen to acoustic classical or jazz, where bass is seldom boosted. Peaches suffers from no self-imposed limitations on that score, and I was amazed to feel the walls of the listening room vibrate and the flame on an oil lamp actually pulse with the bass.

My system is set for neutral treble and bass - the speakers have been calibrated where they are, almost two meters from the back wall and one meter from the side walls. It would be a shame to ruin that bass signal with the muddy bass of the BL2, in my opinion.
    I seem to remember that someone had set their bass output incorrectly in another thread, and had ended up buying BL2s to compensate - and then found them to be unnecessary once the system was set up right. I think that may be the case here, as well. (The dealer had set it up wrongly in that case.) 

• 11-26-2010 5:28 AM In reply to

If you think about the principle how this calibration thing works, you get the hint of how to influence the values during the calibration.

I had the same problem with my 5's but after some help from the forum and some experiments its perfect now.

I have the 5's in a mid sized room and calibrated with all the furniture in it... result bass is there but not as much as expected

I moved them outside to the garden to measure a very large room ( our world / universe in fact ) ... resulted in way too much bass

I moved them in the room and removed the furniture (sofa, table etc.) and the result was just right.

During the measuring process, the speaker adjusts the bass level based on every reflection the mic catches from your room & furniture. If the speaker "thinks" it is in a small room, it will calibrate itself for a small room with less bass.

In my opinion there is no need for a Beolab 2 if you own a pair of well calibrated 5's, I've tried it and felt the BL2 messed up the clarity and precision of the BL5 bass reproduction.

Best

Stephan

• 11-26-2010 8:54 AM In reply to

Well,

i simply don't know what is wrong. But i listened to a pair of BL5 in our local B&O Store for a comparison and it wasn't much of a difference.

My room is quite large (60sqm) ... and as a matter of fact it has 3/4 of glass as walls/facade ... and the dealer is telling me, that this is the biggest issue ... last time they came with 3 people trying to fix the glass with their hands to prevent it from "swinging" while the calibration was done. The result wasn't really impressive.

So you would say, that it would make sense to move the BL5 to another room of similar size that doesn't have that much swinging glass/windows ... and do the calibration there ???

Regards

Tim

BV 7-40 BR ... Beolab 5 front ... Beolab 8000 rear ... Beolab 2 Sub ... Apple TV ... Apple NAS ... Beosound Ouverture  ... Technisat HD8-S ... Sonos ZP 90

• 11-26-2010 9:02 AM In reply to

I recommend experimenting with this. The Application is free for a trial period (Pure Music), the EQ-capability is in-built in OSX:

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/36369.aspx

I'm now making the assumption that you are using a Mac in your playback chain and can therefore use this. I have BL5s, and have used this to straighten out a room-induced dip in the sub-woofer region.

• 11-26-2010 9:32 AM In reply to

No,

i'm not using a mac in my playback chain ... but i could, if it would help to calibrate the BL5 better.

I use the Ouverture for audio/CD ... and the Sonos for streaming services and access to NAS.

I'll check your link ... thank you!

Regards

Tim

• 11-26-2010 9:38 AM In reply to

Hmm,

i quickly rushed through the content of your link. Is it correct, that the change in settings is only saved to the mac device and not in the BL5 hardware?

If so, it is quite useless for me, because i don't want the mac to become the master of my audio setup.

Regards

Tim

• 11-30-2010 4:05 PM In reply to

@Tom : OK, easy...

Go to iTunes and download the track "Mombasa" from Robert Manos from the Angel Road album.

Get the volume up to 75, disconnect the Lab 2 and get the track started...

Now several things can happen:

- Your house has no windows anymore ... your Lab5's work as they should

- You don't feel why I told you to play that song at that volume ... go visit your doc, there might be something wrong with you in terms of bass ;-)

- Bass is there but not enough for you ... The 5's are not right calibrated / damaged / wrong connected / whatever

This song is brilliant for the 5's, super clear recording with crisp highs & mids and the deepest bass I've ever heard ...

Try it, worth the 99 cents and let me know the results.

By the way, I strongly recommend all the other releases from the record label "Mole Listening Pearls" if you are into Lounge / Easy Listening / Free Jazz / Electronic with extraordinary production & sound quality

Best

ultra

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)