in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-10-2010 5:30 AM by stampfki. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-10-2010 2:47 AM

Can Beoport control a Mac Mini placed in the living room from Beovision 1 in a linkroom

I have read that Beoport is controlling iTunes etc by Beo4, but I am not sure if it is only when it is placed in the same room where the TV is located. I need to use it from the bed room Beovision 1 as well.

Can it or not?

BR and thanks

• 11-10-2010 3:49 AM In reply to

Re: Can Beoport control a Mac Mini placed in the living room from Beovision 1 in a linkroom

stampfki:
    Can it or not?

Yes, if a BV1 supports Net-Music and Net-Radio commands and protocols, you will be able to play your iTunes resources.

But were you looking for audio-visual support, or just audio support?

And did you want audio sources other than iTunes?

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 11-10-2010 3:58 AM In reply to

Re: Can Beoport control a Mac Mini placed in the living room from Beovision 1 in a linkroom

Oh, that was fast ;-)

Yes, actually I would like to control comprehensively my Mac Mini, in fact Audio AND Video. The PUC of my Beosystem 2 supports the Apple Remote, but unfortunately it cannot handle any "longly pressed" buttons, which is part of the original Apple Remote control philosophy. For instance I cannot rewind in Eyetv records, because this would need a longly pressed >> or <<.

• 11-10-2010 4:41 AM In reply to

stampfki:
    control comprehensively my Mac Mini, in fact Audio AND Video

well now life starts getting complicated.

Firstly, we need to examine what type of MacMini do you have: what is its video connection to the living room's BeoVision?

Secondly, do you have a BeoPort, or are you trying to decide whether to buy one?

Thirdly, in what file system and what file formats are your video files stored?

And finally is all your audio in iTunes?

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 11-10-2010 4:58 AM In reply to

stampfki:
    well now life starts getting complicated

Indeed Smile

I have the Early 2009 Mac Mini (no audio via HDMI). I have attached a CM388 Cypress HDMI to S-Video converter which feeds the Scart port of my Beosystem 2. Works fine. The converter converts the digital sound to analog as well so audio and video is available at the Beovision 1 in the bedroom.

I am jsut thinking about buying the Beoport in order to control the Mac Mini from the linkroom by Beo4. Actually I use Plex for the media files, but I am also ok with iTunes for the MP3.

So far have have solved most of the issues but the final question is how to control the Mac Mini by Beo4 form linkroom without PUC.

• 11-10-2010 5:17 AM In reply to

stampfki:
    I am jsut thinking about buying the Beoport in order to control the Mac Mini from the linkroom by Beo4.

Well I think you are on the right path.

If you buy a BeoPort and either use BMLink or Philippe's LinkPlayer

(see http://web.me.com/philrobin/LinkPlayer/Linkplayer.html)

you will be getting what you need.

The BeoPort / MacMini USB interface bypasses the need for the PUC ... the BeoPort picks up the command signals from the MasterLink, and then forwards them over the USB to the MacMini where either BMLink (only audio support) or LinkPlayer (audio and video support including via Plex) interpret the commands and respond by feeding video/audio signals.  

An option could have been using the new generation of Apple TVs connected to the Beovision 1 ... if it had an HDMI connection of its own :-( 

I am off to bed now, so the Q&A relay will now slow down unless someone like Philippe picks up the baton Laughing

• 11-10-2010 5:30 AM In reply to

Thx for your help and good night! Here in Germany I just started to work ;-)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)