in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-07-2010 9:05 PM by BeoFab. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-06-2010 8:17 AM

Relocating from Europe to US

Hi all,

I am relocating from Europe to US, and I've been thinking what I should do with my B&O equipment. Company pays for the relocation, so no worries about the shipment cost, rather than the voltage (220 to 110).

I have a BV7, BS9000, Beloab 7-1, Beolab 6000, Beolab 2000 and BeoPort...

So, what do you suggest?

a) Selling them in Europe and rebuy them in US (=huge loss of money)

b) Buying 110->220V transformers for them in US (is audio quality going to be affected?)

c) Is there a way to do an official B&O modification to them (change internal transformers). Cost?

d) Would my European dealer allow a trade-in? (give my old equipment and buy US equivelant that will be shipped directly to US?)

e) Other suggestions?

Br,

P.

• 11-06-2010 9:26 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 176
    • Bronze Member

Re: Relocating from Europe to US

If your BV7 is MK IV or never I would bring everything to the US and have it converted.  Step down converters are not 100% safe and are pretty large and impossible to hide.  If I'm not mistaken the BeoVision 7's manufactured after the System 3 was introduced in to the platform might be in a "switched" voltage mode that would not require a voltage conversion when you get here.

Where in the states are you moving?

Store Manager Bang & Olufsen Broadway 927 Broadway New York, NY 10010
  • 11-06-2010 12:55 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Petro kalispera,

I would probably keep them and use the converter.

Any other solution would be costly in either way.

And of course you never know about the future. You come back after certain period and face the same dilemma vice versa!!!!

Or of course you can send them to some friend in Patrida!!!!

Best regards kai Kali epitihia

Spiros

Best regards

Spiros

• 11-06-2010 3:23 PM In reply to

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

A friend of mine had the same issue. He hired an electrician in the U.S. who rewired and replaced some of his power wall sockets. These wall sockets were rewired  to a separate group. This group got 220V from one special professional converter that was placed in the fuse box area in his basement. This way he had very good quality 220V without any power surges, without having to deal with several converters around the house. These wall sockets themselves were replaced with standard European ones, so he didn't even have to change the plugs on the B&O power cords. It also solved the problem that anyone might accidently stick the power cord of a U.S. 110V appliance in the wrong wall socket. 

• 11-06-2010 3:47 PM In reply to

Simple, elegant, brilliant!
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 11-06-2010 3:55 PM In reply to

Beolab1:

A friend of mine had the same issue. He hired an electrician in the U.S. who rewired and replaced some of his power wall sockets. These wall sockets were rewired  to a separate group. This group got 220V from one special professional converter that was placed in the fuse box area in his basement. This way he had very good quality 220V without any power surges, without having to deal with several converters around the house. These wall sockets themselves were replaced with standard European ones, so he didn't even have to change the plugs on the B&O power cords. It also solved the problem that anyone might accidently stick the power cord of a U.S. 110V appliance in the wrong wall socket. 

This is an absolutely brilliant idea.  220v is available to most homes.  However if you are moving into a condo or apartment, 220v may not be available.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 11-06-2010 3:57 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

I think that would be an ideal solution.

Petros you might have to check this for availability!

Best regards

Spiros

• 11-06-2010 5:45 PM In reply to

I live in a condo in USA and 220v is available everywhere because some appliances only work with with 220v like ovens, some cooktops and the drying machine. Obviously is not available directly in all the outlets in your home, you need a good electrician to run the right connection.

In my case my oven, dryer, microwave, cooktop are 220v, even the hood is Italian 220v imported directly and connected with European style of outlet, no converter of any type.
  • 11-07-2010 5:46 PM In reply to

Hi all and thanks for the replies. While the 220V directly at the house sounds very elegant solution, I would probably not be able to do that (as I'll be staying at a rentent house for the first year, at least, and have no control over this).

So, we are back to the other alternatives....

My BV7 is a 32", MKIII (so it does not use the system 3 platform).

But do I get it correctly that for all my B&O equipment I'll be able to do an official internal transformer replacement at B&O?

I'll be moving to San Francisco area, in CA.

Thanks again!

• 11-07-2010 6:58 PM In reply to

This is the single most intelligent, fantastic post I've ever seen on any forum.  Ever.  This is frikkin' brilliant.

One question though, if you buy a bunch of sockets in the EU, are they up to US spec?  As in, if your house burns down because of one of them, will your insurance deny coverage for using EU spec Schuko sockets?

• 11-07-2010 9:05 PM In reply to

dilznik:

This is the single most intelligent, fantastic post I've ever seen on any forum.  Ever.  This is frikkin' brilliant.

One question though, if you buy a bunch of sockets in the EU, are they up to US spec?  As in, if your house burns down because of one of them, will your insurance deny coverage for using EU spec Schuko sockets?

Here in the States you can hardly do any type of renovation (electrical, plumbing, etc) without a building permit. Even to change a toilet in a condo you need a permit. So if pass the inspection and the builiding codes then yes your insurance will pay.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)