in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-10-2010 10:42 AM by Schmedegaard. 115 replies.
Page 4 of 5 (116 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-06-2010 4:20 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-23-2007
    • Posts 223
    • Bronze Member

Re: Saw a pic today!! BS8

IaM astound how close the final ipod dock is to the patent drawing. Kinda boring and plain look ! But it's available in white Geekedlike in the good old apple days !

• 11-06-2010 4:25 PM In reply to

Doctor:

Of even more interest, it will also work with Airport Express via USB. No ML now though.

I did read the posting in Spanish and it is correct there will be USB and some kind of aux connection.  It also has a special remote control included but you can also use a Beo4 or Beo5.  I doubt there will ever be ML unless a digital to ML converter box becomes available.  Although it is not exactly clear but it appears Beosound 8 will only support iPod, iPhones, and iPads that run IOS 4.  IOS 4 is being updated soon as well as an update to MAC OS/X to support the IOS 4 changes.  It also talks about Beoplayer but its not exactly clear whether what version this is or if it is an IOS 4 app.

Although the photo may be correct or somewhat close, the description is not exactly clear.  This is the problem with this sort of thing because the details may be wrong or misleading.  I may have made the wrong assumptions.  When it comes to computers and software, it is better to wait until the actual release which is in this case on November 10th.  This is one of the reasons Apple feels it so important to keep information secret until actual introduction of the product.  B&O should learn this lesson and should not have sent photos to dealers.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 11-06-2010 5:36 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Nvm. I accidently responded to the last two posts on page 1.

What a glorious day it's been so far, lol.

• 11-07-2010 2:49 AM In reply to

• jc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 145
    • Bronze Member

If this is the real thing, I don't like it. Not B&o to me at all. Hopefuly the sound is. Still want the Beosound 1 then, which is a piece of art. Design-wise BS8 makes me think of the Beocom 5, and that's not a positive comment..

• 11-07-2010 3:25 AM In reply to

• tim
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Australia
    • Posts 8
    • Bronze Member

I dont like it either... Gone are the David Lewis days of the BS9000 and Avant [:'(]  Gone is the magic of using the equipment

• 11-07-2010 4:04 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

I think if one of the great engineers like Brunel had seen any of the B&O cd players he would have been very impressed. Had he they then been shown what an Iphone is capable of they would have simply not believed it.

Life and technology has moved on. Had the Beosound 8 been out 5 years ago it might be one of THE modern classics and B&O a much more affluent company to invest David Lewis type video equipment, with a whole new younger fan base.

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 11-07-2010 5:08 AM In reply to

• jc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 145
    • Bronze Member

At the risk of going off-topic; strange that the recent designs appear to be of very different quality, for example, the Beovision 10 is spot-on, an instant classic with very good proportions, and than this, the BS8, lookes like it comes from a different factory..Where is the constant quality, design-wise?

• 11-07-2010 5:56 AM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 01-07-2008
    • Germany
    • Posts 114
    • Bronze Member

Ah - the fun of speculation :-)

So, right now I wonder if I wonder where it fits in our house - probably in the Bathroom - but I do have to see.

I do agree, that iPod Docks are already sooooo yesteryear ("Airplay" is coming) - and the position of the "classic iPod Dock" seems already taken by the "B&W Zeppelin".

BUT: The Zeppelin is definitely a good looking, sound producing mass product, the BS 8 will be (as most products of B&O) a statement and conversion starter - Probably one with excellent sound too.

Does any one remember the Apple Hifi? Good idea, bad reception by the customer. And because Apple only keeps products that sell in high volumes, they stopped production. Today they are quite searched and expensive at eBay - there are quite a lot people searching for this item. So this is a niche that could be taken by B&O: The high-end sound dock.

Looking at the possible integration of the BS 8 - I already think further: I wish that the BS8 would work together with the Apple TV - But I do understand, that B&O  wants to sell their Masterlink System (wait this thing doesn't have ML?!?) - so this will involve a lot DIY: Due to the fact that the Apple TV only has Optical and HDMI Outputs, it involves the use of a small external Display and a converter

Well to be honest - The Beosound just should have "Airplay", and it will be a huge seller.

But I am pretty sure, that this step in the direction to produce something for loyal Apple customers is only the beginning:

If they sell it well, they will make something for the Apple TV too.

So - right now  I really want to see the BS 8 in Person to see how I can use it :-)

• 11-07-2010 8:10 AM In reply to

I feel that the BeoSound 8 is just what I am looking for. Yep, I want a docking station and this should be perfect. I take my iPod everywhere with me!

Who knows, this could be the first in a whole range of docking stations. Speaking as a young person myself, do not under estimate how popular these docking stations are with you people. A lot of my affluent friends live in bijou apartments and simply havn't space or requirement for something bigger than these docking systems. At presents most own BOSE or B&W. I think B&O are on to a winner. I especially like the rumour of interchangeable speaker covers - I want the orange!

I actually heard a pair of BeoLab 4 in white yesterday in a rather swanky interior design shop connected to a BeoCenter 2 and I must say they were far better than i had imagined with the typical B&O clear sound! Rumour has it that the BeoSound 8 will sound much better than these! Anyway guys, roll on Wednesday ;)

• 11-07-2010 11:45 AM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

Sleepy old Bang....they should have been out with this years and years ago. Then it would have looked ok, but I truly hope it performs better than it looks, which seems a bit of a let down.

• 11-07-2010 10:14 PM In reply to

@Tim - So true about Airplay. It has been mentioned before, but not much.  Airplay really makes these dedicated docks a questionable purchase. Consider the combination of a $99 AppleTV playing the contents of your ipod through your choice of B&O TV/Speaker combination. I'm not saying it's the ultimate high quality music machine, I'm only saying that if you have this combination already, a dock isn't very appealing. I guess I'm not a target customer.

I also agree with those who believe that no matter how meritorious, docks just aren't that interesting any more. Eight, Seven, even five years ago docks seemed much more interesting. Imagine your Ipad with ios4.x (with multitasking coming very soon) sitting on the dock. Just out of reach to continue to interact with. It just doesn't make that much sense.

• 11-08-2010 6:26 AM In reply to

beo-ap:

@Tim - So true about Airplay. It has been mentioned before, but not much.  Airplay really makes these dedicated docks a questionable purchase. Consider the combination of a $99 AppleTV playing the contents of your ipod through your choice of B&O TV/Speaker combination. I'm not saying it's the ultimate high quality music machine, I'm only saying that if you have this combination already, a dock isn't very appealing. I guess I'm not a target customer.

I also agree with those who believe that no matter how meritorious, docks just aren't that interesting any more. Eight, Seven, even five years ago docks seemed much more interesting. Imagine your Ipad with ios4.x (with multitasking coming very soon) sitting on the dock. Just out of reach to continue to interact with. It just doesn't make that much sense.

I toatally agree, with Airplay the times of Ipod docks are over! Connect the new Apple TV to HDMI port of your Beovision and you will be happy: With an IPhone/IPod Touch/IPad you can hear your music and watch videos (p.e. YouTube) with your B&O equipment (with Apple´s IOS 4.2 which is available this week). And you can use your IPhone/IPod Touch/IPad for other things because it´s not in a dock.

The Beosound 8 is only a nice looking thing p.e. in the kitchen. And only if you have more than one IPhone/IPod Touch/IPad.

Without Airplay the Beosound 8 is only a new toy for some B&O-freaks.

/Räuber

• 11-08-2010 7:24 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

B&O-freaks? Isn't that everyone on this site?

Durban South Africa

• 11-08-2010 8:03 AM In reply to

Yes of course. But if I buy a new B&O-product, I want to have some benefit, not only a new nice thing on my sideboard like a flower on my table!

With Airplay I would buy a Beosound 8 for my kitchen and could change the songs or the internet radio stations without going to the Beosound 8. And during listening I could p.e. surf and check my mails. With my IPod fitted in the Beosound 8 I would need another IPod.

It is very poor that B&O will introduce the Beosond 8 at the same time as Apple introduces airplay. Some other brands have announced that they will introduce Airplay products, but not B&O! So we will have to wait for a Beosound 8 encore until 2020!

Regards

Räuber

• 11-08-2010 10:32 AM In reply to

• Hungedu
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-08-2009
    • Ambergris Caye, Belize
    • Posts 128
    • Bronze Member

Not really the (excuse the pun) stereotypical Bang & Olufsen design, but I think I'd probably purchase the product. I carry my entire music library on my iPhone, and this would be a great device for the exercise room or out on the porch with friends. I've been holding out for a B&O iPod dock for years, and almost bought the Zeppelin.

I wonder if the legs on the back are removable and a floor stand may be made available? That would give it a more classic B&O look.

BeoVision 7-55 3D, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound 8, BeoLab 7-6, BeoLab Penta III, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 2, LC-1, BeoTime (analog clock), Form 1 headphones, Beo 4 remote.

• 11-08-2010 10:50 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I don't like discounting other people's hard work, but this is a design let down. I'd rather sit my Apple dock next to a BS1.
    It does have the iPad feature working for it though.

I remember playing with the Apple Hi-Fi in Best Buy and wanting one! Very big, loud and heavy. It had a removable speaker cloth and that reminded me very much of my big speakers - definitely gave it that Hi-Fi feel.

Evan

• 11-08-2010 1:55 PM In reply to

Really not my taste. I would still prefer a Beosound 3200/4 if i had to choose, although a different product. On the other hand It is good that B&O try to keep up with today's needs. I have to warn our friends here that are eager to buy it. Remember...it will be the MK1 product. And you all now what that means for our beloved B&O i assume... Wink

-Dimitris

• 11-08-2010 2:06 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Well said Dimitris.

Best regards

Spiros

• 11-09-2010 6:51 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

If the sound quality rivals my BC1, i will be getting one of these. for the bedside table, can't say no to airport express compatibilty!

I personally think this looks fantastic.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 11-09-2010 1:30 PM In reply to

Only one day left! Just can't wait! Big Smile

Beocenter 9300, Beogam CD50, Beocord 5500, Beomaster 3400, Beomaster 4400, 2 Beogram 4000, Beomaster 8000, 2 beogram 8002, Beovox S-75, Beovox MS150.2, Beovox RL6000, Beovox S-35, Beomaster 6000, 2 Beocord 9000, Beocord 8004, Beocord 5000, Form 1, 2x Beolink 1000, Beo4, MX3500, LS4500. Born 1993.

• 11-09-2010 1:42 PM In reply to

Yep yep, i'm excited!!!

• 11-10-2010 4:01 AM In reply to

• akoro
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-07-2008
    • Espoo, Finland
    • Posts 88
    • Gold Member

• 11-10-2010 4:22 AM In reply to

• Opman
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-31-2007
    • Cheshire, UK
    • Posts 323
    • Bronze Member

• 11-10-2010 4:27 AM In reply to

The role as a PC (in the wide sense) speaker is a good point, I don't think anybody has mentioned it before. If they have managed to make it sound reasonably better than a pair of BL4, it might have a future just as that. Difficult to place with that form factor, though...

-mika

• 11-10-2010 4:39 AM In reply to

And as always it looks so much better in the official photos than in the pre-release photos circulating the internetSmile

I got to say it looks really good wall mounted. All white/aluminum against white walls would suit excellent in my bedroom. Can´t wait to se and HEAR it live.

The only objection I would have is how an iPod-dock will stand the test of time, with Airplay and all.

Newbie! So far: BeoVision 7 40´ Mark V Blu-ray, BeoLab 7-4, BeoLab 9, BeoSound 5,  Beo4, Beo5,  BeoCom 2, BeoTime and A8 Earphones

Page 4 of 5 (116 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >