in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-05-2010 4:23 AM by elephant. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-01-2010 3:41 PM

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Beovision 8-40 questions

Well, I stepped into the world of B&O video...  Wow, what a picture!  Simply stunning.

Now for the questions:

1)  I'm trying to use the PrPbY input from my DVD player.  In the options menu, I have selected AV2 as DVD and specify PrPbY as YES.  I get no sound or picture.  Now, a closer look reveils that I have the audio connected to the AV3 port (audio L+R, composite video) so when I configure AV3, I get sound (and, or course, no video because I don't have the composite port connected).  I notice the manual says this about PrPbY:  "You can use this socket in conjuction with an AV socket".  I'm guessing I need to connect something to AV1 or AV2 so that the BV8 will recognize the video input on PrPbY, no?  What is this something (some type of SCART connector) and what do I need to connect to it (just audio, or something else)?  Be gentle with me, I'm in the US so I'm not familar with SCARTs.

2)  My TV did not come with any IR cables to control external devices.  Must these be ordered separately?  Was there another box that I didn't get?

3)  My PUC list seems empty (except for some B&O products).  In reading other threads, am I correct in that I need a service tech to add my 3rd party devices to my PUC?  Maybe this is why there are no IR cables with the TV since you need a Tech to make any use of them?

4)  Finally, the TV did not include the System Module (for MasterLink connectivity) which I have ordered and was originally planning to install myself - However, I notice that the service manual says that after a new System Module is installed, then you should flash it to the latest software.  Again, something I cannot do with my screwdriver and torx wrench :).  Is this necessary, or just recommended.

Yes, yes, these are all questions to ask the dealer...  which I have (he didn't know off the top of his head), but I like to compare answers... It looks like I'll need a service visit to update the PUC so I might as well have them install the System Module as well... and maybe they'll bring some IR cables with them so that will most likely fix 2)-4).  Then again, I may skip the PUC since I already have my Beo5 programmed to control my external boxes directly... but if the System Module needs to be flashed, I should just have it all done at once.

Yes, maybe I should have just had the dealer install it, but, as I said, I like doing this myself...

Thanks in advance,

Stan

• 11-01-2010 6:20 PM In reply to

Re: Beovision 8-40 questions

Hi Stan,

1) YPbPr is just a vidoe signal I believe (i.e. no audio) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YPbPr

as why you are not picking it up on AV2 I am not sure, perhaps it is as you surmise, the SCART socket needs to be active if only for audio.

but honestly that seems a dumb design to me!

This is what the manual said (in case you don't have one):

" YPbPr ... Indicates whether or not the equipment is connected to the television via the YPbPr sockets. Options are YES and NO "

I can't see any other way (than the SCART) of getting sound into AV2 .....

Hopefully some other folds can give better advice to this first question.

2) I believe the IR cables are provided if you ask for them but are not standard out-of-the-box ... my dealer gave me one for free even though I am sure they carry a price tag

3) yes, you need the dealer/service people to load it, choose carefully to minimise return visits !

4) I had my System Module fitted by the service folks as part of the whole installation process ... which famously took a long time because they did not realise how much gear I had wanted to be attached (lack of clear communication between dealer and service arms)

So I would advise having the service guys come and do it all for you.

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 11-02-2010 3:38 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

Congratulations on your purchase.  I'm also in love with the BV8 (and now the BV10).

PrPbY I understand is also known as "component" and it is video only.  SCART is a technology that is mainly European.  We have it here in Australia but it's only rare.  I liken SCART to composite plus audio in a square plug.  If your DVD player has HDMI you should use that to connect to your BV8.

I differ a little from Elephant whereas I think this is a failing of B&O.  It should be simple to just plug in a DVD player or whatever and away you go.  I think it's not necessary to have a technician come in for something that should be simple.  If not, the cost of buying a blu ray player with HDMI will outweigh the cost of having a technician come in. 

I would contact your dealer and ask them to comp you some IR cables considering the cost of the TV.

On the B&O webpage for BV8 there is a link to the software update, but your dealer should also be able to advise you no sweat. 

Glad to see you're in love with your BV8.  I'm jealous.  ;-)  

• 11-02-2010 4:18 AM In reply to

Michael:
    I differ a little from Elephant whereas I think this is a failing of B&O.  It should be simple to just plug in a DVD player or whatever and away you go.  I think it's not necessary to have a technician come in for something that should be simple.

oh we are not in disagreement ... I think :)

what I was trying to say was that I would get the technicians in to install the System Module; and while they are about it they can update the PUC list and supply the two IR leads.

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 11-02-2010 4:21 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

Oh my mistake.  I'm under the influence of some good sounding speakers. :-)

• 11-02-2010 4:26 AM In reply to

Michael:

PrPbY I understand is also known as "component" and it is video only.  SCART is a technology that is mainly European.  We have it here in Australia but it's only rare.  I liken SCART to composite plus audio in a square plug.  If your DVD player has HDMI you should use that to connect to your BV8.

I differ a little from Elephant whereas I think this is a failing of B&O.  It should be simple to just plug in a DVD player or whatever and away you go. 

Well, that happens when you use the SCART... it carries also RGB (just as good as component) along with some other signals, such as the aspect ratio control. Once you split it up and start using separate connectors for each signal, it is bound to need more effort with the setup.

I know diddly squat about BV8 specifics, but it sounds to me like you need to connect the component signals to the relevant inputs, audio to a SCART (using adapter cables if needed), do the menu configuration as suggested and start watching.

However, I totally agree that the way to go is HDMI. Maybe an excuse to upgrade to a Blu-Ray player...

EDIT: after reading the first post properly and looking at the manual, AV3 indeed has audio inputs as well. As I understand it, just connect everything there, and under AV3 menu Source=DVD and YPbPr=yes. Hopefully that does it Smile

-mika

• 11-02-2010 9:30 AM In reply to

Maybe you have sorted it out, but anyway:

When connecting your DVD over PrPbY (component signal) to the BV8 you should take the digital sound from your DVD to one of the two SPDIF inputs you have on the BV 8-40.

The SPDIF inputs are named A1 and A2 and are Phono sockets. They are freely configurable for AV 1 to 4.

If your DVD has Toslink (opto) out for digital sound, you need a little box that convert from Toslink to SPDIF.

Cost maybe 30 euro.

In the settings menu for e.g. AV2 you are able to configure that you use e.g A1 SPDIF for digital sound input.

No need for scart.

/Claes 

Happy owner of: BV10, 2 x Beocom 2, Beocom 6000, Beocenter 2, Beolab 3, Beolab 2000, Beo4, Beolab 11

1:st prize winner Beoworld January Price Draw.

• 11-02-2010 11:24 AM In reply to

Hiort:
    The SPDIF inputs are named A1 and A2 and are Phono sockets. They are freely configurable for AV 1 to 4.

I had checked my BV8 PDFs ... not realising that there are separate PDFs for the BV8-40 ... and that for the User Guide there are even a pre-August 2010 and an August 2010 onwards versions !

• 11-02-2010 12:55 PM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

I think it should be incumbent upon B&O to put you in a position to operate the tv with all your current components the day you get the system.  

The best way to ensure that you get the correct products in the menu is to specify that to the salesperson when you buy the set.  For those who don't live near a store but are handy with setups, I think I would have 1st delivery to the store and have them program it, then ship it tested and ready to go.  All the other stuff can be handled by email or over the phone.        

Maybe one day we will be able to connect to a service site to download the PUC.  But for now, with all the changes that happen with cable boxes (in the US for sure), I am just glad we can get updates.  And the service module does require a software update.    

• 11-02-2010 2:29 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Thanks for your help.  I will go down the digital audio path...  I have 3 DVD players and none have HDMI.  I thought about upgrading to Blu-Ray, but I just dropped a large sum on a TV (and have too many DVD players already) so I'm looking for a lower cost solution...  and, I'll have a tech install the system module when it arrives (most orders take 3 weeks, but I'd like to watch a DVD sooner), and get my PUC list updated. 

Stan

• 11-04-2010 5:58 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Well, I got my cables and TOSLink to SPDIF converter and...  I got sound, but no video...  Checked and double checked the cables and connections and setup - same.  I knew the cable was good, so maybe it's the DVD player?  I did have it connected using S-Video to my old TV - never used the component video - so I swapped in a different DVD player and...  now, I got video Smile, but no sound Angry... but at least it's different... so I grabbed the 3rd DVD and, as they say, the 3rd time was a charm - sound and video Smile.

However, standard DVD is now so dissappointing (not that the BV8 does a bad job with it - a few days with the BV8 and I'm spoiled - I want full screen and HD sharpness).  Any recommendations on a decent "budget" Blu-Ray player (I'm sure the Oppo is awesome, but more than I want right now)?  I've seen the LG 390 mentioned.  Any others?

Stan

• 11-04-2010 8:11 PM In reply to

What about the Playstation 3?? I have a feeling it's Beo4/5 controllable

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 11-04-2010 10:15 PM In reply to

• Affineur
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-27-2008
    • United States
    • Posts 90
    • Bronze Member

Stan,

My remote (western US mountain resort village) "installation" of a BV8 involved B&O Chicago sending me a laptop with all of the most recent PUC codes. This was followed by a phone call from Ove and a productive session of "flashing" with the latest codes. At the same time all of the software updates on the picture engine were accomplished.

As far as IR cables, they were free and sent with the device. I think you should expect the same. I integrated an ATV and a Tvo with no issues and have been using them without problems ever since (about 2 years).

Good luck with your install..... if I remember correctly you are in Chicagoland and I would expect the best service as a result.

Seek simplicity and distrust it. Alfred North Whitehead
  • 11-05-2010 4:23 AM In reply to

jldmelb:

What about the Playstation 3?? I have a feeling it's Beo4/5 controllable

And another possible advantage of the PS3 is tapping into Sony's internet distribution of audiovisual material

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)