in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-26-2010 5:58 AM by kallasr. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-23-2010 7:22 AM

• GijsV
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-11-2010
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Connecting BL3 and BL6000 to non-B&O receiver

Hi,

I'm thinking about making the switch from an Avant RF 32 DVD to a partially non-b&o system. So i would like to keep my BL3's and BL6000's.

The tv would be an Panasonic 50" V20. To use the B&O speakers i would need a receiver with pre-out connections. I was looking at the Yamaha rx-v667. It's a rather cheap receiver with all necessary functions. Since I would be using active speakers, I think the amplifier part of the receiver is rather unimportant. Nevertheless as a center speaker i want to use a passive Bowers&wilkins HTM61 or 62 center speaker.

Is it possible to connect the BL's  to this receiver? Is it possible to connect the front and rears to the pre out connections and a center speaker to the normal center connection?

Does anyone have some experience in this type of setup? All recommendations are welcome.

greetings,

Gijs

• 10-25-2010 9:55 AM In reply to

• GijsV
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-11-2010
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Re: Connecting BL3 and BL6000 to non-B&O receiver

Am I the only one on this forum thinking about switching to a partially non-b&o system?

• 10-25-2010 10:21 AM In reply to

I'm sure you are not! But while the entire B&O product range is pretty much covered by at least some people on the forum, you'd be lucky to find anyone using a single given "alien" receiver... there are just so many of them!

If the receiver you are thinking has volume controlled pre-outs for the channels you would like to use for the Beolabs, I can't see any problem connecting the line input of, say, Beolab 6000 or Beolab 3 to them. Likewise, I should think any receiver will allow using the amplified outputs of other channels at the same time for passive speakers. So my short answer is a definite maybe Smile

One problem that could arise from using Beolabs in line mode (non-Powerlink) for surround is that they will switch off if a channel has no signal for a while. This might create brief interruptions in the rear channels while the speakers power back up.

I took a brief look at the specs of your proposed receiver, and it seems it has a trigger output that maybe could be used to switch the speakers on & off through Powerlink. That would mean custom built adapter cables, but I'm afraid I don't have any specific advice to give with that.

-mika

• 10-25-2010 10:24 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

GijsV:

Am I the only one on this forum thinking about switching to a partially non-b&o system?

Nope. I am always drooling over those feature-dense receivers.

So long as your pre-outs are volume controlled, you should be fine. The amp section should operate simultaneously, although there is probably some sort of menu option to flip it on and off.

Evan

• 10-26-2010 5:58 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Make sure you use a cable/trigger box which keeps the speakers awake, even if no sound signal is send, because otherwise they will turn off (after 5 minutes or so?) and make a clicking sound. I could not get past this issue and it was so annoying I switched the speakers to non B&O passive ones. This is about 2 years ago, so there might be a work-around today (soundsheavenly cables?).

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)