in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-03-2007 5:34 AM by gk31ax. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-30-2007 2:04 AM

I manhandled the Iphone

Just walked by the Apple Store in NYC on 5th avenue which is a 24 hour location (in case you need an ipod at 4.00 AM in the morning).

It seems to be realy neat, much smaller and thinner then I expected. Screen is crisp and bright, fingerprints were on the glass on mass but no problem.

internet surfing with "Edge" the slow network is OK, doable. It's not a blackberry like email, it checks no more then every 15 minutes (can be changed to hourly or manual).

The keyboard seems to adjust to the user, first minute I wasn't able to really write, then it settled in. You can't add attachments to emails, but you can mail photos. 

It is linked to ATT, so you cant buy one here and use in Europe, it's locked as you are effectivly buying it with a contract.

They had plenty it seems, but I skipped. Too much money and I have already 2 Ipods.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 06-30-2007 5:09 AM In reply to

• Jonah
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-08-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 2
    • Founder

Re: I manhandled the Iphone

Seems like a very mature decision. I know I won't be able to resist it once it arrives in Europe..
  • 07-02-2007 2:00 PM In reply to

My wife and I went to the Apple store on Michigan ave in Chicago at about 8:00 pm Friday night.  At that time they were letting in groups of 20.  I waited about ten minutes and then it was my turn to order the iPhone.  I turned around and looked at my wife who smiled and waved.  I knew then I had to buy two iphones.  I did buy two iphones.  One for myself and the other for my wife.  I figured two iphones were the price of 1 Serene phone at $1200.  i think there is a lesson here.  Women like cool gadgets too but aren't very vocal about it.

The phone works as advertised and more.  The edge network is slow but works.  I use the WIFI network at home which is quite fast.  The keyboard takes a few days to get used to but is not really a problem.  I like at the features especially the manner in which it seamlessly works with my Mac and itunes.  One of the coolest things is watching a feature length movie in the full aspect ratio as on an HD TV

I am sure when Iphone arrives in Europe, it will be even better! 

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 07-02-2007 5:04 PM In reply to

• Jonah
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-08-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 2
    • Founder

You are truly a lucky man living in Chicago. 
    People can complain about flaws and slow EDGEs and so on, but as long as the advertisements are somewhat true I know I will love it. 
    I reject the thought of a new phone now that doesn't speak OS X. My old SonyEricsson better stay alive another year or so, but that might too long for that poor old thing.

How is your wife using it, or more correctly, going to use it do you think?
    I think my wife would like it as well, no doubt. But I think she would only be using some 5% of the possibilties it has as she is afraid of getting lost in the unknown. 

About the edge network, does it work all over town, on the bus, on the el (thats what its called in Chicago isn't it?). And does it allow for reading newspapers and youtube videos?

Any bugs so far, except from the keyboard learning curve?

Oh, I can't get enough information about this thing.
  • 07-02-2007 5:40 PM In reply to

My wife is using all the features including the camera which I have yet to try.  I would say the advertisement or the hype is 98% true.  I thought the Ipod part of the iphone would not be as good as a regular Ipod but the iphone uses the same Wolfson stereo audio chip as in other ipods.  FYI  Wolfson is a British company.

Actually the Edge network works all across the US.  In Chicago and other large US cities, AT&T does have 3G networks but 3G is not nationwide.  Yes the network works all over town except the subway tunnels but it does work on the EL or elevated railway.  YouTube works and you can read the newspapers, documents, or PDF's. 

My sister also wants an iphone.  However she gave her husband an ipod shuffle.  Poor guy.  I don't think he will be getting an iphone.

I don't think your wife will have any problem.  The iphone is really easy to use or she could always reboot.  It is OS/X! 

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 07-03-2007 4:34 AM In reply to

What?  It doesnt support 3G? That's like living in the dark ages!!!
  • 07-03-2007 5:34 AM In reply to

My mum called me last night and said she wanted one........I had to explain they aren't out in the UK yet.....

I'm already her mac support desk and I won't bore you with examples that you've probably seen a million times in joke emails....

Anyhow Neil, I'm sure when it gets to Europe, they will have a 3G version ready - I'm hoping anyhow...

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)