in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-14-2007 6:47 PM by Goldfrog88. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (25 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-29-2007 9:39 PM

Latest Beosystem upgrade includes AppleTV control

My local dealer just flashed the latest sw update to my new BeoSystem 3 set-up.

The upgrade includes control for the AppleTV-- works just about perfectly.  The only difference I have found so far is that the scroll up/down that flows so fluidly using the Apple remote, is click-click-click with the Beo4.

All in all though-- very outstanding.

• 07-02-2007 9:42 PM In reply to

• beotex
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • USA
    • Posts 32
    • Bronze Member

Re: Latest Beosystem upgrade includes AppleTV control

Any idea if they have updated the BeoSystem 1 as well?
  • 07-02-2007 9:59 PM In reply to

Don't know for sure.

I have an Beovision Avant as well, and my dealer told me it would likely need a new chip to take the upgrade.  I haven't looked to much into it yet, but would think the same thing would be true for the BS1.

If I learn more, I'll post it here.

Cheers~~

• 07-15-2007 3:16 AM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

Beobres, are you located in the US or in Europe? At least in Germany no one knows what I am talking about when in comes down to Apple TV and the BS3. My local B&O guys just say it must be in the US as they get this nice things earlier than the rest of the world....

Karsten

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 07-15-2007 1:15 PM In reply to

Hi Karsten~~

Yes, I'm in the US.  If your dealer can upgrade your BS3 software to the latest version (3.1???), the Beo4 will control the AppleTV perfectly.  I connected mine via HDMI and use the VMEM button to access.  We also discovered that connecting the R/L audio cables were necessary to allow the BS3 to control the AppleTV.  Don't know why, but when we connected those cables, everything worked fine.

I have to tell you, the picture and sound quality on the AppleTV thru the BS3 are terrific-- and loading photos to use as the screen saver or in slideshow mode is the best way to display and share your digital photos with friends.  I was surprised how well TV shows and movies looked and sounded as well-- both those purchased via iTunes, and those I loaded via other sources.

Hope this helps.  Please let me know if there are any other questions I can try to shed light on.

All the best~~

Todd
  • 07-27-2007 9:32 AM In reply to

• frog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 191
    • Founder

beobres:
    Hi Karsten~~

We also discovered that connecting the R/L audio cables were necessary to allow the BS3 to control the AppleTV.  Don't know why, but when we connected those cables, everything worked fine.

Hi,

What did you connect the L+R audio cables to? The AppleTV doesn't have analog audio out (at least mine doesn't)

• 07-27-2007 10:39 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

What? They all have analog audio out as far as I'm aware. Are you entirely sure you aren't mistaken?

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-01-2007 9:44 AM In reply to

Has anyone managed to work an Apple TV using a Beo remote?
    ------------------------- Looking forward to the Summer!
  • 08-01-2007 1:26 PM In reply to

Yes, Guzzler.  As noted earlier in my post, it's working fine for me in Beosystem 3 set-up.  You need to have the latest sw installed by your dealer.  Starting with v3.0, AppleTV control by the Beo remote is supported.  Latest sw version as on June 2007 is v3.1.
  • 08-03-2007 8:27 AM In reply to

• Goldfrog88
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-07-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Gold Member

Beobres, did your dealer do the job in the shop, or did you have to go to the service centre? Was there any charge?

Mike 

• 08-03-2007 12:43 PM In reply to

Hi Mike~~ The dealer did the sw upgrade in my home.  I just purchased a whole new system, so it was part of the install.  I don't know if the dealers typically charge for sw upgrade house calls, but I would think they would do it for free-- particularly if you have a good relationship with the dealer.  It only takes about 10 minutes to upgrade, and my dealer is only about 15 minutes away-- which is pretty convenient.  (Although maybe too convenient for my wallet!)

Todd
  • 08-04-2007 5:20 PM In reply to

• Goldfrog88
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-07-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Gold Member

Thanks Todd. I'm still tossing up how I should get my BS3 software upgraded. I bought it six weeks ago and it has software 2.7 (although one salesperson hinted at an HD update---I guess 3.0 at that time). I was lucky to be able to buy the unit without a monitor, as I already have a 45-inch Sharp AQUOS (1080p)---mind you, it was a leap of faith to unplug the AV System from the Sharp and replace it with the BS3!! 

Here in Melbourne service tis 'different'. The local dealer (10 mins walk away) doesn't do any software updates in the shop, you have to either unplug the unit and take it to their Service Centre (and either make an appointment beforehand to wait half an hour to an hour, or leave it over and collect it next day or so, depending on their load) or have an expensive house call. 

As a result I try to do most things myself. I installed the BS3, but lost on the software update as a result of the installer not doing the job, so my monitor just says 'Non-B&O monitor'. I know the manual says B&O are expected to install the BS3, but then, as I said, I was lucky to be able to buy the unit separately through our dealer. You can see that the market here is different---other products attached to B&O are frowned upon, and the old issues of OEM v 'our product' appear at every turn.

Nice to unburden a few issues. Hope I haven't bored you(!) With kindest regards.

Mike 

• 08-08-2007 6:17 AM In reply to

Very interesting! Does it it work in Link-rooms too with both audio and video?

Best,

Toby
  • 08-18-2007 1:03 AM In reply to

• Goldfrog88
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-07-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Gold Member

Yes Toby, through the MasterLink cable (audio) and 75 ohm coax (video) as per normal. I'm waiting to update the BS3 to ver 3.1 software though. i doubt you'll be able to control an Apple TV from a link room (if that's what you mean); but I may be surprised! I often am!

Cheers 

• 08-18-2007 12:49 PM In reply to

Toby & Goldfrong88~~

Yes, the AppleTV can be controlled from the link room, atleast for audio.  Pause, play, skip ahead, skip back all work fine from the Beo4 control.  All of my link rooms are audio only, don't know about video control.

Todd
  • 08-27-2007 3:26 AM In reply to

I have bought a an Apple tv and tried to connect it via the HDMi cable/socket on my BV7.  Great picture no sound.

Any advice, do I also need the audio analogue cables?

Thanks,
    Steve
  • 09-12-2007 1:52 PM In reply to

My local dealer and I discovered you also need to connect the analog audio out cables to your system in order to get sound.  Hope this helps.
  • 09-12-2007 2:00 PM In reply to

The BV7 does not have HDMI but DVI. You probably use a HDMI to DVI converter.

DVI does not carry the sound, only the video. 

• 09-13-2007 3:29 PM In reply to

• grieg007
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2007
    • Bergen, Norway
    • Posts 54
    • Gold Member

Hi, 

I have a BV7-32 (updated with STB control codes for AppleTV). Only problem is that there is no fast scrol which is a pain, but whats worse is that you cant fast-forward tracks. Just skip to the next one. This is a real problem when listening to classical music and trying to find a spot in the middle of a 30 min symphonic movement. You just have to wait until it play to the right spot. Anyone have a solution for this? 

Christian
  • 09-14-2007 6:42 AM In reply to

• Goldfrog88
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-07-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Gold Member

Hi guys,

I've just had the SW upgrade on the BS3 done to 3.1a, but I can't see the Apple TV in any of the menus. What did/do you find? Should it be listed under PC or STB in the Connections menu? I guess I'll also need to to connect an IR lead to control it?

Mike 

• 09-14-2007 6:45 AM In reply to

grieg007:
    I have a BV7-32 (updated with STB control codes for AppleTV).

How much did it cost you to have it updated?

• 09-14-2007 7:18 AM In reply to

• grieg007
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2007
    • Bergen, Norway
    • Posts 54
    • Gold Member

The option is called "Apple Appleremote" and is located in the STB option list. The ATV it connected through AV4 so I use the DTV button on the Beo4 to get the ATV going. Yes there is an IR lead from C1 going to the AppleTV.
  • 09-14-2007 7:20 AM In reply to

• grieg007
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2007
    • Bergen, Norway
    • Posts 54
    • Gold Member

It didnt cost me anything. I bought the BV7 because of it being able to control the AppleTV. So it was a condition of the sale.
  • 09-14-2007 8:29 AM In reply to

I got confirmation from my dealer that this was feasible on older BV7.
  • 09-14-2007 6:47 PM In reply to

• Goldfrog88
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-07-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Gold Member

Grieg007, thank you for your quick and full reply. I can see the technician forgot to add the feature to the STB list. At least now I know what he should do next time. Much appreciated.

Mike 

Page 1 of 1 (25 items)