in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-30-2011 7:54 AM by sashaz. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-18-2010 8:08 PM

Controlling Line out Volume control of MC/MCL problem

Hi there,

I have an overture that I have connected to a MCL2P amp via a powerlink cable. The amp works and drives a pair of speakers in the dinning room but the volume on the anthony gallo nucleaus micro speakers is a bit low. I have to turn up the overture to level 30 to get any good volume on the gallo speakers. This then means that the beolab 4000 speakers are quite loud in the living room (also connected to the overture via powerlink). I have used the option to have it as purely a non controlled slave (option 0)

Thus I wanted to know if I can increase the basic level of the MCL2P volume in comparison to the beolab 4000 and then keep this increased volume saved when I use it at any time?

Thanks for any advice.

i have edited this as i have changed the amp to the MC/MCL amp and linked it to my overture with a ML and powerlink cable. I have tried every option and checked the IR sensor wiring and it still does not allow me to change the volume. Inface the ML cable doesnt seem to do anything really as the PL must be connected for the amp to work at all.

• 10-19-2010 1:55 AM In reply to

Re: Line out Volume control of MCL2P

The MCL2P is just a power amplifier so is totally dependent on the input level. The amount of amplification is fixed. To get independent volume control, you need a Beolink active box somewhere in your system, either for the MCP or the 4000s.

• 10-19-2010 3:00 AM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

I agree, am using an Active with an IR eye as a slave , masterlinked to an Ouverture, with the MCl2p power linked to the active, works well with a pair of RL6000's

Tony

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 10-19-2010 4:33 AM In reply to

Thanks for that, from the forum and reading I thought that was the case but was hoping there was a secret way ro trick to do that. Have to look for that active and eye combo now. Might swap it for a passive and eye from a sales website instead of ebaying the other bits.

• 10-19-2010 5:03 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

sashaz:

Thanks for that, from the forum and reading I thought that was the case but was hoping there was a secret way ro trick to do that. Have to look for that active and eye combo now. Might swap it for a passive and eye from a sales website instead of ebaying the other bits.

Maybe you want to keep your MCL 2P and add an MCL2A relay box with IR receiver. This way you can set up your dining room as a linkroom and control the Ouverture independantly from the mainroom (living room). It`s also possible to add more linkrooms just install more MCL2A or MCL2AV (for a Beovision). See MCL2P user manual.

Stefan

• 10-19-2010 3:14 PM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

An ML/MCL unit is basically a passive the amp is the same from what my memory recalls, it is also equipped with an ir facility - you may pick one up slightly cheaper as I think it sort of precedes the Passive

Tony

- you would obviously ML it although it does have poweer link as well(the guise in which i used one)_

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 10-19-2010 8:03 PM In reply to

There is a MCL2A on ebay boxed so might try and get that one. thanks alot!

• 10-20-2010 1:58 AM In reply to

An MCL2A will not be that useful. You need an MCL:2AV as this has a fair degree of independent volume control - The MCL2A will ju8st adjust the volume of the main system, which you can already do. The MCL2AV essentually has its own pre-amp. It is dependent still on the volume of the system - you cannot have one very quiet and the other very loud, but a fair amount of difference is possible.

• 10-20-2010 8:57 AM In reply to

Thanks, there is another one on ebay but its for 2x MCL2AV. Nothing is every very straight forward.

• 10-23-2010 9:48 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

stotty1111:

I agree, am using an Active with an IR eye as a slave , masterlinked to an Ouverture, with the MCl2p power linked to the active, works well with a pair of RL6000's

Tony

Tony's solution will give you exactly what you need/want!

Main room:       BLB 4000 - sound controlled via BeoSound Ouverture

Dining room:    Passive Speakers - sound controlled by a BeoLink Active (MasterLink!) and
                            powered by the already existing MCL2P power-amp.
                            (MCL2P connected to the BL-Aktive using existing PL-Cable)

Shopping List: 1 BeoLink (ML) Active (including IR-Sensor & Sensor-Cable)
                            1 ML-Cable from Ouverture to BeoLink Active

Alternative:     1 BeoLink Passive (including IR-Sensor & Sensor-Cable)
                             1 ML-Cable from Ouverture to BeoLink Passive
                             MCL2P is not needed - sell it!

Forget MCL solutions if you already have a ML Audio Master (your Ouverture) !!

It's outdated, more complicated and offers very limited possibilities to adjust the sound independently. 
    As long as your MCL2P and not a ML/MCL converter is used as a MCL Driver the main room can't be
    muted independently.

Some MCL limitations:

Xtra Speaker Kit - type 2047            - independent ON/OFF in Link-Room
                                                             - volume and sound adjustments delivered by master unit

Xtra Aktive Speaker Kit - type 202x  - independent ON/OFF in Link-Room
                                                             - different volume to a certain amount 
                                                             -  sound adjustments delivered by master unit
                                                             !! for active speakers - will need a 2nd MCL2P to power passive speakers  !!

Xtra TV -  type 2031-2040                 - independent ON/OFF in Link-Room
                                                              - different volume to a larger amount
                                                              -  independent sound adjustments (Bass/Treble/Balance) possible
                                                              !! will need a TV  in the Link-Room !!                                                            

• 10-25-2010 8:39 AM In reply to

THANKS you have been all such a great help!

Will start hunting next month when I get paid.

• 12-23-2011 7:55 AM In reply to

HI again, i got a ml/mcl with ir eye and connected it to the overture eith powerling and ml cable. I still cant adjust the volume in the second room. I can switch the amp off via the ir eye. I cant understand what the timer is for either. Any ideas?

I have tried to change to option 2 on link setting but my remote doesnt get that option by just holding the list button. I have to press it to scroll through the options to get link on screen. 

Cheers. 

• 12-23-2011 11:35 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Unless I am missing something here (and I can't find my 'reading' glasses, so maybe...), everyone is making this more complex than it needs to be.  Try this:

Disconnect mains power from the Overture and the MCL2P.  ML cable from Overture to MCL2P.  IR eye to MCL2P.  Gallo speakers to MCL2P.  Power back to the MCL2P.  Power back to the Overture.  Set MCL2P to Link Option 1.  No Active kit.  No MCL2AV.  Let us know what happens.

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 12-23-2011 11:59 AM In reply to

I just tried that and still i cant adjust the volume. I have changed the amp to a ml/mcl with an IR eye. THe eye still can switch off the ml/mcl  but nothing else. I also cannot use the ml/mcl unless the powerlink cable is connected also, the ML cable does not work on its own solely to switch it on or get sound out of it. I am lost on this.

• 12-24-2011 3:47 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

sashaz:
    I have tried to change to option 2 on link setting but my remote doesnt get that option by just holding the list button.

The right option setting for a ML/MCL converter + IR eye in link room is:

"L.Opt 5" or "L.Opt 6"

"LIST" >> "OPTION ?" >> "L.OPT" and  "5" or "6"
    "5" = audio sources only 
    "6" if you have also have a B&O TV in your setup

For option programming the system has to be in "standby"

A successful programming will be confirmed by a "twinkle" of the LED
    (LED is going out for a moment). 

@ Russ

... a MCL2P has no MasterLink input, just PowerLink available
    >> therefore an active kit is necessary too.

For a ML/MCL converter you described  the right procedure - but a wrong option setting.

"Disconnect mains power from the Overture and the MCL2P.  
    ML cable from Overture to MCL2P.  
    IR eye to MCL2P.  
    Gallo speakers to MCL2P.
    Power back to the MCL2P.  
    Power back to the Overture.  
    Set MCL2P to Link Option 1. "

• 12-24-2011 7:02 AM In reply to

Thank you i have tried bith options but the ir sensor does not change the volume of the ml/mcl output speakers. The sensor does switch the amp off though. 

Im sure the l opt i use works as the light on the sensor changes to on or off for every different option i use. 

• 12-24-2011 8:17 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

sashaz:

Thank you i have tried bith options but the ir sensor does not change the volume of the ml/mcl output speakers. The sensor does switch the amp off though. 

Did you connect all 5 cables properly to the terminal strip?
    (Ie if you insert a wire too much - not the wire, just the insulation of the wire will be fastened
    >> poor or no contact at all will be the result ...)

Can you manually change the volume of your ML/MCL via the "arrow up" and "arrow down" buttons?

• 12-24-2011 11:10 AM In reply to

The sensor arrived wired up. I can't change the volume via the sensor on the arrow up and down part. That is what I am trying to get it to do. I will open the sensor and have a look to see if it's wired correctly. 

• 12-28-2011 2:27 PM In reply to

i have edited this as i have changed the amp to the MC/MCL amp and linked it to my overture with a ML and powerlink cable. I have tried every option and checked the IR sensor wiring and it still does not allow me to change the volume. Infact the ML cable doesnt seem to do anything really as the PL must be connected for the amp to work at all.

Is there something broken or should i give up?

• 12-28-2011 9:09 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

sashaz:
     ... changed the amp to the MC/MCL amp and linked it to my overture with a ML and powerlink cable.

Only ONE CONNECTION is allowed AT THE SAME TIME !

EITHER PowerLink
    OR MasterLink !

If you connect a PowerLink cable the ML/MCL will work as a power amp, beeing controlled
    by your audio or video system (the preamp stage and IR is disabled).

If you connect a MasterLink cable the ML/MCL will work as a zone (linkroom) amp, the preamp
    stage for volume / sound control is "on" and is controlled by the IR eye (manually or via remote).

• 12-29-2011 5:30 AM In reply to

Yes I understand that but the ml cable doesn't work on its own. The amp wont do anything with just the ml cable. 

I was told that some ml/mcl amps won't work without both cables. 

• 12-29-2011 1:12 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

sashaz:
    ... the ml cable doesn't work on its own.
    The amp wont do anything with just the ml cable ...

To find out if your ML/MCL is faulty, try the ML/MCL with a different ML cable
    directly between your existing audio system and the ML/MCL.

As a next step connect the ML/MCL directly to a different audio system.

• 12-30-2011 7:54 AM In reply to

Ha ha i dont have another ml cable nor another bo product. The cable is brand new from sounds heavenly. 

Page 1 of 1 (23 items)