in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-16-2010 2:43 PM by Step1. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-15-2010 7:26 AM

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Toddlers & B&O

Ok so what the heck is it about my 9 month old son and my s120's and Beogram 4002? The S120's are on stands without the frets as they need work and are rather delicate imo... The 4002 is currently in reach and quite low but under a shelf so only the front is accessable.

Now for some reason, out of all the items in our room he loves my speakers and turntable Angry He constantly reaches for the dust caps on the speakers, (the times he gets to them I have to follow behind with a vacuum cleaner!!!) and if he can access it he loves to bounce and feel the platter on the urntable. Looks like he has learn't to turn the thing on now too!

It's not like he is short of toys or other things to touch or mess with (our sitting room is not sparse!!), and I don't go ape when he does mess I just gently tell him not to touch them :-

So, either my son has superb taste and is trying to tell me this in his own way (doesn't touch my yamaha amp, Sony DVD or Humax set top box so the ugly things seem to be ok!!) or he has learn't how to wind me up already Laughing

So what are your experiences and how did you manage?

Olly.

• 10-15-2010 9:45 AM In reply to

Re: Toddlers & B&O

Oh how I feel for you!.  Our daughter is just coming up to 9 months old at the end of the month but so far is too lazy to even stand, let alone toddle.  She doesn't even crawl and just rolls from place to place.  Already though, I'm getting more fearful as I have tons of my collection on the floor - CONA's, various Beolabs prime to be toppled over, Beograms in reach which will spin like Magic Roundabouts (hence the attraction I suppose) - especially if you've seen the Thorens display on Youtube of the difference between 33rpm and 45 rpm (that guy was on more drugs than Dillen on the MR.  There will be the jam sandwich in the 'postbox' of the Avant to come, glass doors on the Ouverture, Century and MPAV9000 to play magic with.

I'm a nervous wreck already and any help will be welcome in how to limit damage - bearing in mind that every room is full of B&O gear and I can't move it anywhere.

I'm thinking of a chain embedded in the concrete/tiled floor with a maximum reach to the nearest B&O item - a bit like tyiing a goat down to limit its foraging.  Jenny rolling around in circles will help with the housework too!.

Joking aside, it is a concern and we can't watch over them all of the time.  My main concern is her safety (as your's will be too for your son).  An early education programme, training her what is and isn't acceptable will be starting soon I think.

I'm sure this thread will bring out some horror stories but also some very funny experiences.

Dave.

Am I ready? I was born ready!

• 10-15-2010 10:12 AM In reply to

• Jon
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2009
    • Posts 138
    • Bronze Member

Step1:

I don't go ape when he does mess I just gently tell him not to touch them :-

There's your problem!

My kids know death will ensue if they touch the stereo.

Even my 2 year old knows not to come within 5 feet or so of it, while she plays in the living room.

Jon

• 10-15-2010 11:37 AM In reply to

• jonasrosen
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 07-30-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

Some months ago my son (at that time 2 years old) managed to open up the DVD slot in my BV7-32 (without using the Beo4, or by clicking the button underneath the screen), somehow also managed to slide it back. Later turned out the mechnics was broken and the Beo technician was surprised how the mechnics that should hold for 20 kg could be damaged by a 9 kg youngster..

BV8-40, BV7-32, BL7-1, BS5, BM5, BM1, BL3, BS1, Beocom4

• 10-15-2010 2:54 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Wow I have no room to complain lol - I did sort of wonder how people with a few more bits than me managed but I have no idea in your case! I like your chain idea but not sure social services would Stick out tongue  How about those anti-terrorist slabs of concrete we have in front of parlement in the UK... You could maybe make some stylish examples and have Bang & Olufsen embossed in front of them hehe A little barb wire on top for second line of defence Big Smile

Olly.

• 10-15-2010 2:58 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

I did try that Jon but he actually did it more! He would also put his hand toward the item, pause, then look over his shoulder at me waiting for a response! We decided the shouting thing was becoming fun for him so I am telling him politely then praising as he walks away. Sometimes he goes straight back Devil

Olly.

• 10-15-2010 4:47 PM In reply to

The B&O concrete would have to be stylish. Maybe with a remote lid or panel containing various deterant devices or a flame throwing BEO5 remote or Ouverture with guillotine glass doors.

Fortunately here in France, we don't seem to have the same social services, do gooders types who frown upon any kind of parental control.  In France, parents just give their kids a good clip around the backside or ears like in the good old days when kids actually had some respect for parents and other people's property.  Don't get me started!

I'm going to bed before I get into any trouble.

ps.  Where in Manchester are you?  I used to live in Sale.

• 10-15-2010 7:22 PM In reply to

• Jon
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2009
    • Posts 138
    • Bronze Member

Step1:

I did try that Jon but he actually did it more! He would also put his hand toward the item, pause, then look over his shoulder at me waiting for a response! We decided the shouting thing was becoming fun for him so I am telling him politely then praising as he walks away. Sometimes he goes straight back Devil

Yeah, some kids like to test the limits! I remember doing that when I was young...Wink

In these days and times where parents get arrested and their children get swooped away by Child Protective Services just because they gave their kids a cross look, let's just say I'm a little more old-fashioned and hands on. My kids WILL respect other people, animals, and things, and WILL be taught to do so, as is needed. No room for negotiation on that.

I believe it's that sort of training that allows me to say "Do not touch my stereo please. It's very important to me; I don't want you playing with it, or even touching it. If you do, there will be consequences you won't like.", and then have my children respectfully abide by that rule. I've never had a problem with them messing with my stereo or music collection.

Jon

• 10-15-2010 8:54 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

I love that kids seem to be attracted to good design as much as adults. It just seems to be from a little more pure and less complicated place. That being said, my kids (6 and 4 now) always respected our B&O stuff and even have their own Avant that has survived two years with no damage in the playroom. I don't remember anything more than a simple instruction when they where toddlers. Of course they may have a different story to tell their psychologists as adults;)

-Michael

• 10-15-2010 10:54 PM In reply to

Well From kids and drunk people you shall hear the truth, B&O design is triggering something, having educated 4 wild sons with some mild slaps on the fingers and sometimes a very loud (not angry) voice, my B&O items survived without damages, I had Sony and I may confess AIWA, and some other funny things, when times were hard and money few, but B&O was what they went for.

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 10-16-2010 1:28 AM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Well, my story goes like..............some damages at first (daughter 3y and son 2y) but now they both know how to control Beo4 so they are very satisfied with this. But my 4-42 did suffer a bit from my son and now is getting better!!!!!! Although I have plenty of B&O products in the house at least for the moment they just don't touch them!

Best regards

Spiros

• 10-16-2010 3:40 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Michael:
    Of course they may have a different story to tell their psychologists as adults;)

Something like, why B&O ruined my early years Stick out tongue As long as you don't end up on Jeremy Kile or something equally vile Laughing

Olly.

• 10-16-2010 3:48 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Hi Dave I come from Edgeley just outside Stockport. I purchased a Beogram 4004 from Sale recently :) Interestingly the guy was Danish and came from Struer! He had brought his deck with him when emigrating - This reminds me actually, he was telling me about how he once saw piles of smashed up speaker cabinets at the local Struer tip and they all had a B&O identification on them. Was a little skeptical myself but this was the early 80's so anything is possible I guess!

Anyway, do you miss this part of the world by any chance?

Olly.

• 10-16-2010 9:31 AM In reply to

Step1:

Hi Dave I come from Edgeley just outside Stockport. I purchased a Beogram 4004 from Sale recently :) Interestingly the guy was Danish and came from Struer!

You will find Danes everywhere, we are Vikings and travellers, or maybe he was left there when the Vikings was invading England Big Smile

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 10-16-2010 9:46 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Yes my partner has an Irish Surname, and when she went to the Yorvik museum they apparently had an old Viking helmet with a very similar name. They asked someone and it turns out the name is almost certain to be of Viking origin! Maybe that explains my sons defiance Laughing

Olly.

• 10-16-2010 1:56 PM In reply to

I had some friends in Edgeley many years ago.  Nice finding a Beogram 4004 in Sale - I may have been watching that one too as my father still lives in Sale and could have picked it up for me.  I'm afraid I don't miss the UK - or what's left of it, at all.  Rural France is perfect for me though I work in Switzerland.  I only miss Indian takeaways.

I'm already training our daughter to avoid B&O - she'll develop a phobia with a bit of luck.

Dave.

• 10-16-2010 2:43 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Ah so that's why it went for more than I thought it would!  - I broke my no.1 rule and upped my bid last minute as I had an uneasy fealing, just couldn't leave something like that so close!

Anyway, might be that because there is sooo much around she takes it all for granted :) You could give her a duster early Stick out tongue

Olly.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)