in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-14-2010 4:14 AM by Step1. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-13-2010 12:17 AM

• murcieme
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-17-2007
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 73
    • Gold Member

DIN to RCA conversion - possible?

Hi Guys!

I just bought another B & O Turntable off ebay.  It was a steal at $65 and the seller said it was in good working condition.  I'm hoping for the best, but not expecting much (I'm such a pessimist).  I currently have an old RX which I've had for about 10 years.  Two years ago I had it completely serviced by B&O here in Toronto to the tune of $200 or so. Money well spent.  They resoldered the connectors inside, cleaned, lubed and realigned the whole thing and replaced the aging RCA connectors with newer (albeit cheap) ones.

The table I've recently purchased off ebay is a later model 5000, which I've always admired.  I'm willing to sink some cash into this deck too, if necessary.  I'm stupid for not asking the seller (quite), but I completely forgot to ask if it has the DIN connector or RCA connections.  If it has the DIN connector, can I have B&O replace the lead entirely with a set of RCA's - and if so, is that a pricey option?  Or should I try to find one of those DIN to RCA converters?

Any suggestions / advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Mike

mjsteeves@sympatico.ca

Since 1977

• 10-13-2010 12:43 AM In reply to

• mediabobny
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Greenwich Village, NYC
    • Posts 336
    • Founder

Re: DIN to RCA conversion - possible?

I believe it has a DIN connector, since it was designed to operate by remote control as part of a Beosystem 5000.  Go for the DIN --> RCA adapter such as this.

• 10-13-2010 7:58 AM In reply to

Try the high quality adaptor made by www.soundsheavenly.co.uk

He will ship world wide.

Regards Graham

• 10-13-2010 11:59 AM In reply to

I'm using the same type as the Ebay one, but you will have to check if your DIN is 5 or 7 pin, if 7 pin check if the 2 "extra" pins is screw type, if yes unscrew and tape them to the cable or the TT (for later use) these pins are used for data transfer for remote control. And connect the 5 pin adapter.

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 10-14-2010 1:09 AM In reply to

• murcieme
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-17-2007
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 73
    • Gold Member

Thank you so much for the tips on the adapters guys!  I just missed the UPS delivery today, so hopefully I'll receive it tomorrow or Friday when they try again.  It would be great if I didn't have to buy the adapter at all, but from my late night reseach on the Beogram 5000 it looks like that's how they were all outfitted.

I hate mucking up the signal path with extraneous bits & pieces, however, and was wondering if anyone has had any experience in REPLACING the DIN lead itself, from the main board on the TT, with an RCA connector / cable?  Should I even bother asking my local B&O retailer about this, or would the inherent technology on the table preclude this??

Any further insight would be wonderful.

Thank you again guys!!

Mike

Since 1977

• 10-14-2010 3:18 AM In reply to

murcieme:

I hate mucking up the signal path with extraneous bits & pieces, however, and was wondering if anyone has had any experience in REPLACING the DIN lead itself, from the main board on the TT, with an RCA connector / cable?  Should I even bother asking my local B&O retailer about this, or would the inherent technology on the table preclude this??

For some reason, that seems to be all the rage on that side of the Atlantic (probably because DIN is a "foreign" connector standard). There's nothing preventing it technically. However, that will instantly degrade the value of the turntable, and will be a major headache once you (or the next owner) want to connect it to a proper Beomaster.

IMO just use the adapter...

-mika

• 10-14-2010 4:14 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

It wouldn't be too difficult to remove the DIN lead altogether and replace with figure 8 with RCA - easiest way here would be to buy a ready made rca lead what ever quality you want and chop one end off. That way the original lead stays intact and you can store it somewhere safe.

Personally I use a DIN > phono as arlready mentioned.

Olly.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)