in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-06-2012 3:12 PM by lenni. 60 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-12-2010 11:07 AM In reply to

Re: The 'Dark Side'.....

I have some pieces of Braun HiFi.....

• 10-12-2010 11:14 AM In reply to

Blackrix:

Cool! Which ones?

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 10-12-2010 11:31 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

B&O is still very new for me, I grew up with mixed and matched component systems and still cannot live without them. The sentimental value is so great, I just don't have it in me to get rid of any of it.

For my 14th birthday, I was gifted a new pair of cherry JBL Northridge E80s and drive them with my father's 1984 Yamaha Natural Sound R-7. The JBLs replaced a pair of Realistic Optimus T-120s that suffered complete foam rot and were placed in storage. Underneath the Yamaha are Magnavox and technics CD players along with a Technics EQ and a Yamaha Natural Sound tape deck.

On my desk is a harman/kardon 395 2.1 system that I bought because my Dad would not give his up! Very good.

In my drafting room, I have a pair of Yamaha speakers driven by my late Grandfather's Realistic separate Amp and Tuner pieces to play my iPod.

Vision is provided via a 36" Panasonic CRT purchased 12/13 years ago when I moved to Ohio.

Mobile audio is provided through a pair of Denon C360 in-ear headphones. At home, personal listening is through an Audiotechnica set.

In another setting I have a full Altec Lansing 5.1 surround sound as well as a pair of and Altec computer speakers.

I'm certain I have forgotten many Laughing

Evan

• 10-12-2010 12:37 PM In reply to

tournedos:

Jamo Graphic wall speakers (and they will stay, as they sound brilliant and look the part too - and had magnetic replaceable cloth covers years before BV10)

I had the pleasure of listening to them and they are very good indeed. Apart from my B&O stuff I use an Imac and Iphone. Might get an Ipod nano too.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 10-12-2010 2:41 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Lee,

To answer your request for headphone suggestions, I would not recommend my Denons (AH-C360) for your application. They sound wonderful terrible and are noise isolating, like the ones you have picked out.

What makes them perfect for you is the fact that the cord is split by a connection. This makes the top half with the earphones the perfect length to connect to your arm-banded mp3 player (a little under 30"). Plus they are cheap so you won't feel bad if they get sweaty.  Juuuuuuuuuunk.

You know, I would just ignore this post entirely! LaughingLaughingLaughing

Evan

• 10-12-2010 4:08 PM In reply to

j0hnbarker:

Blackrix:

Cool! Which ones?

Braun Atelier A1, T1, C1, P1 and CD2-3, placed on the original cabinet, all in black. And a Braun TG 1000 reel to reel recorder.

• 10-13-2010 2:25 AM In reply to

• madskp
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 111
    • Gold Member

2 Zonos ZP 80 for multiroom audio. One in the bedroom conencted to a BM 3500 and one in the living room conencted to a BS Centry.

Mac Min with Plex connected to BV8 in the living room for wieving all my movies stored on a NAS.

Ipod touch (mostly for control of the Sonos system) and Ipod Nano.

I Guees thats about it

• 10-13-2010 4:44 AM In reply to

Due to a change in circumstances I am living in a rented apartment for half the week. I have an iPod touch docked in a  Fatman iTube running into a pair of Beovox S45-2s for company and the results are superb!

Simon

• 10-13-2010 9:04 AM In reply to

• majand
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-26-2008
    • Helsinki
    • Posts 72
    • Gold Member

In regular use I have:

Topfield STB

Cambridge Audio DAC

iMac

Revo iBlik N-Radio/ipod doc

ipod touch

Radiotechnica speakers

Tandberg/Thorens record deck

And collecting dust:

Onkyo amp

Kenwood CD player

NAD casette deck

That's about it, pretty sure forgot something

Pekka

• 10-13-2010 11:10 AM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

A high end Nakamichi Autoreverse cassette deck.

Very clever mechanical reverse mechanism (flip).

• 10-13-2010 11:46 AM In reply to

Oh nice thread with a litte bit of blasphemy :-)

Besides all the B&O stuff, I only own a pair of superb Grado headphones (HF-2 model, special produced series for the Head-Fi.org community) on my Beosystem7000-Headphone-only-system. 

In terms of customer experience Grado sucks (long story...) but if you are interested in high end headphones, you may find them pretty good in the upper ranges of therir product portfolio.

rgds

Stephan 

• 10-13-2010 3:05 PM In reply to

steph:

A high end Nakamichi Autoreverse cassette deck.

Very clever mechanical reverse mechanism (flip).

Nakamichi RX-202?

I actually forgot my Teac A3300SX stereo and Teac A3340-S 4 channel reel to reel recorders. Which when combined with my Nakamichi High Com II Noise reducers give a very good quality!

• 10-14-2010 3:35 AM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

Yes, Blackrix,

the RX-202.

I was so found of the Nakamichi decks in the 80's !

I've owned a lot (480Z, ZX7...) but only kept the RX.

Makes me think of B&O magic mechanical movements...

• 10-14-2010 5:11 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Practically all I listen to now - my Adam A7s. Say what you will about the appearances, they sound absolutely jaw-dropping! They're also used as monitors, not just for listening. Listening to Tristan und Isolde at the moment! I'd like to pit these against a pair of BeoLab 3s just for laughs (you'd be surprised what sort of level these speakers perform on).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 12-28-2011 9:48 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Hi guys, just thought I would bring up an old thread and see if you had bought any new non-B&O equipment.

Me you ask? About a week ago I bought this.

A Yamaha P2201 power amp. It weighs 50lbs and makes 230wpc into 8 ohms, 350 wpc into 4 ohms, DC offset of 3.4mV (measured) and THD of  less than 0.05%, thermal cut-off at 130C. Right now it is pushing my JBL towers - effortlessly I might add!!! Laughing

This makes me think I really am moving to the Dark Side Sad Oh wait a minute, forgot about the BS4500 commanding this thing! Devil

Evan

• 12-28-2011 11:18 PM In reply to

• Karla
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-19-2008
    • USA
    • Posts 81
    • Bronze Member

The dark side around here includes:

iPad2

AppleTv2 to connect the iPad2 to the Avant and ML

Airport Extreme as an alternative way to ML via the 9000

B&W P5 Headphones

But in looking at an additional television I ran back to the light: a used Avant with a DVD1 which applies to the formula  (Avant'06>HDcrap of today)

Let me catch my breath......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mACnGsmBZJQ

• 12-29-2011 5:56 AM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

I did have a Braun beard trimmer, but the ex mother-in-law borrowed it and never gave it backSad

• 12-29-2011 7:22 AM In reply to

• Silou
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-10-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 241
    • Gold Member

Connected to the Ouverture,  of course Ipod and some Revox: Real to real PR99,  CD player 

Both are controlled with the Beo4

• 12-29-2011 1:39 PM In reply to

This is an interesting question.  I have a few answers.

Even though I have multiple B&O music systems, most of my listening to internet radio and music is on my iPhone 4s with Dr. DRE Beats.  The iPhone is my most used item.  It is also my alarm clock even though I have a Beotime.  I always have my iphone with me not only when out but also in my apartment.  However I do have 4 Beocom 2s.  I am planning on purchasing a new TV but it will have to be internet capable.  Not sure what to get.

Dualit ditto!

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 12-29-2011 1:46 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

The entire living room system, aka the Kids' Home Theatre, is entirely Dark Side:  Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble II, Center Channel II, and Surrounds II; Sony Receiver; Samsung LCD and Blu-Ray; Panasonic VHS (yes, the wife has many "classic" Disney VHS tapes); and a Microsoft X-Box 360.  After reading this thread, it appears I'm the first to chime in with an X-Box.  I use it to stream media from my server.  More below.

My bedroom is partial Dark Side:  homebrew PC (Quad Core 8400, 8 gigs RAM, 1 TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 470 1 GB, blu-ray drive) running Windows 7 64 bit and Toslinked to another Sony Receiver, plus Beogram RX 2 with Benny Amina retipped MMC4 and S45-2s.  I rip DVDs and Blu-rays on this machine with DVD Fab and cut and paste the contents to my server.

Kids' bedroom is homebrew computer only using a Samsung monitor's built-in speakers and streaming media from the server.  Both homebrew computers use the same Zotac motherboard, and I use the built-in NVIDIA soundcard for both.  I've auditioned external DACs and have never taken the plunge.

Server is another homebrew running the original Windows Home Server and is based around an old Gigabyte mobo and just a dual core E5200 CPU.

My main system in the dining room has a bit of Dark Side: Samsung iPod dock, iPod Touch 64 GB 3rd Gen, and an Audio Technica preamp for RIAA equalization of the second turntable in that 2 Beogram, 2 Beocord, CD X, BM4000, M70 system.

Out in the garage I have repurposed an NAD 7140 receiver and Klipsch loudspeakers to be amps for my bass guitar and my daughters 3/4 sized Squier.  Also out in the garage is a Beosystem.

Serving as a backup to many pieces is one of my favorite all time pieces:  an NAD 7175PE receiver.  Man what a tank that is.  Gathering dust are an NAD tuner and power amplifier, and a Denon preamp.

The Dark Side pieces that get the most use are without a doubt my iPod Touch and the X-box 360 (plus the AV element of the living room system, of course).

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 12-29-2011 3:32 PM In reply to

9 LEE:
    I'm getting sick of running with A8's and finding the sweat that drips into my ears on a hard run nukes the earpieces. I'm on my fourth pair in 6 months and i'm not happy.

Lee, as a 40something, (i'm not far behind you, i'm 39Surprise) you really need to give up that running lark and save your A8's Big Smile

I cruise down the road past middle-aged & older blokes slogging their guts out in ALL weathers, rain wind, snow, hail and everytime I think to myself..... 'they must be absolutely mad!!' Big Smile

Apologies, I'm a serious couch potato......Big Smile

As for non-b&o stuff, all I have is a Panasonic DVD/Freeview box feeding my BV-5 and a 32" JVC lcd tv in secondary living room. All the rest is B&O throughout the house.

In my old Bentley Turbo R I have a 20 year old Sony Minidisc player (remember them!?) connected to a 10-disc Sony box in the boot (trunk in american)

Big Smile

Regards, 

Michael

BV5, BV Avant, MX4000, MX1500

BS 7000, BS 5500

Penta III, Penta II, BL 4000, RL 60.2,  RL 35, CX-100 Alu

BL 7000, MCP6500, MCP5500,  BL 5000,  Beo4 (x2), BL 1000 (x2)

• 12-29-2011 5:41 PM In reply to

StUrrock:

I did have a Braun beard trimmer, but the ex mother-in-law borrowed it and never gave it backSad

I should think the non-return is a blessing in disguise

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-02-2012 3:07 AM In reply to

The dark side around here includes:

NAD T535 in the workshop (How to listen a SACD with B&O?)

Sony TV and BD 480 Blue Ray in the bedroom

NAD T535 in the library

DIY T-Amps from audiophonics .fr in two of the link-rooms

Canton passive speakers in one of the link-rooms

Canton active subwoofer in one of the link-rooms

87' Volvo 780 with original Radio and graphic Equalizer

Best regards

David

• 01-02-2012 4:36 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Interesting thread..

I use Apple TV's and Airport express to my B&O gear in all my rooms. I listen less and less to CDs and watch less DVD's, usually rip it all and put it on a big RAID share in my network instead, much more practical. Also, I never been impressed with B&O's headphones, so I use various Sennheisers for that purpose..

I also got a Canton subwoofer http://www.canton.de/de/homecinema/subwoofer/produkt/asf75sc.htm
    This is actually the best "non-B&O" item I have bought in terms of sound. Works perfectly with the BL 8000 and BL 6000 I have in the living room. It's easy to calibrate and "wakes up" and "goes to sleep" along with the B&O speakers.
    Hiding it under the sofa and gives all the bass I need and is very impressive, and sounds like its made for this setup!

Highly recommended! 

/Peter

• 01-02-2012 9:24 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

beowild: