in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-11-2010 2:38 AM by hagan. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-10-2010 1:59 AM

Connect ML Cable to RJ45

Hi!

I have ML cable already installed but want to change wall sockets to RJ45 for different reasons. Is it possible to use the existing ML cable or do I need to change to cat 6/7?

br

/h 

• 10-10-2010 10:47 AM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Re: Connect ML Cable to RJ45

Interesting question. I'm also thinking of the ML gateway and that would be one of my major problems at the moment (if that could be called a problem)

Best regards

Spiros

• 10-11-2010 12:32 AM In reply to

Maybe there should be a FAQ about all this regarding cables sockets installation etc. One more question:

If I have to change to Cat7, can I still daisy chain?

• 10-11-2010 2:24 AM In reply to

If you mean by your question you want to change just the wall socket to RJ45 and still use it for Masterlink, then your first problem will be the number of connections. Masterlink requires 9 wires plus ground connection.

If you mean you want to use the Masterlink cable for the transmission of Ethernet signals instead of Masterlink, then you are likely to have a few issues. The core reason is that for the higher digital transmission speeds of ethernet. The Cat 5,6,7 cables consists of twisted pairs and shielding which cancels out most pickup noise, the Masterlink cable shields the analogue signal and control and has a differential signal, but cannot deal with the higher speeds particularly along a longer piece of cable without problems. Also, because of the structure of the Masterlink cable at least one pair of ethernet signals would have to travel down non shielded and non twisted wire.

Regards Keith....

• 10-11-2010 2:38 AM In reply to

Keith!

Ok! Then I have to change cable to cat. I want to change sockets for practical/estehical reasons in my Beolink installation.

How does ML work in a cat installation if there is one wire "missing"?

Question 2: can cat be daisy chained?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)