in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-09-2010 6:20 PM by TripEnglish. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (21 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-05-2010 9:40 PM

BV10 Feature Activation

Reading the manual for the BV10 on the B and O page there is reference made to a Feature Activation Key that must be purchased from B and O to activate the "feature". What are these "features"?

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 10-05-2010 10:14 PM In reply to

Re: BV10 Feature Activation

It's called the HDMI Matrix and is explained on the next page in the manual. A quick copy/paste:

The HDMI MATRIX feature is an  additional feature which can be  purchased separately. When the  purchased feature activation key  is entered, additional software  becomes available in your  television. The HDMI Matrix itself  is a physical product that can be  connected allowing you to  connect up to 32 external  sources to your television and  access them via the Beo5 remote  control. For information about  additional features, contact your  Bang & Olufsen retailer. 

Important information

The HDMI MATRIX must be connected and set up by your Bang & Olufsen retailer.

–  Your Beo5 remote control must be  reconfigured before you can use the  HDMI Matrix. 

–  You cannot operate the HDMI Matrix with  a Beo4 remote control. 

–  You cannot connect more than one HDMI  Matrix in a setup. 

–  The HDMI Matrix cannot be configured on  an HDMI Expander. 

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 10-05-2010 10:15 PM In reply to

It allows the television to be used with the matrix solution.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 10-05-2010 10:20 PM In reply to

But.. to be fair.. I don't have a clue what the matrix solution is... Seems like it can controle up to 32 devices... 

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 10-05-2010 11:12 PM In reply to

Here's the scoop:

Bang & Olufsen has worked with video device maker Atlona to develop a solution for multiple TVs to share a single set of peripherals. Peripherals are connected to the Matrix (it's basically a big black box for mounting in a rack) along with IR output to a flasher. Then a balun or a local HDMI outputs the video signal to a B&O television or BeoSystem 3. 

The advantages include a cleaner pre-wire (less cabling and baluns to hide behind televisions or in-walls), a more manageable head-end (devices organized in the rack can easily be trouble-shot or swapped out), cost savings in peripherals (reduce cable boxes to 2-3, shared AppleTV, etc), and cost savings in cabling infrastructure (a single set of HDMI baluns can run from $399 to $599 so the Matrix quickly pays for itself).

The way it works is that only a single input is used on the BeoVision and a signal is delivered to the matrix prompting it to change sources. The actual command string would be V.AUX2 + the number of the input on the matrix. V.AUX2 is always used for the matrix.

Other inputs on the TV would continue to function as normal while AV1 is dedicated for the matrix, so local sources like DVD players or game consoles can still be attached.

For most people the Matrix wouldn't have any practical benefits. I've found that 4 TVs is about when the real cost savings kicks in and for 6 or more it's a must. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 10-06-2010 12:08 AM In reply to

• BeoTom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-09-2010
    • Texas
    • Posts 45
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the explanation Trip, that makes a lot of sense.  After first reading this thread, I was also wondering what the Matrix solution was.  I think it's a cool solution, but I personally don't have that many TV's!

• 10-06-2010 6:47 AM In reply to

Finally !

A sensible explanation that a human being can understand.

Thanks Trip !!!

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 10-06-2010 10:28 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:
    The way it works is that only a single input is used on the BeoVision and a signal is delivered to the matrix prompting it to change sources. The actual command string would be V.AUX2 + the number of the input on the matrix. V.AUX2 is always used for the matrix.

I would assume that the individual source names for the underlying devices can be changed on the Beo5 so it's not as unintuitive as that sounds?

• 10-06-2010 12:48 PM In reply to

csmager:

TripEnglish:

I would assume that the individual source names for the underlying devices can be changed on the Beo5 so it's not as unintuitive as that sounds?

Even better: the source names can be changed in the BeoSystem 3. The latest software allows you to re-name sources so that TV could be Cable or Dad DVR. V.MEM could be Apple TV. 

So you can perfectly match the button on the Beo5 to what source appears on the screen.

• 10-06-2010 5:23 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:
    Even better: the source names can be changed in the BeoSystem 3. The latest software allows you to re-name sources so that TV could be Cable or Dad DVR. V.MEM could be Apple TV. 

I'm aware of that (I've got that version on my BV7-40) - but you say for HDMI Matrix you're confined to once actual source (V.AUX2) and issue further commands to change the underlying source.   I'm assuming these can be named in a similar way to make it somewhat more obvious to the user what they're doing?

• 10-06-2010 9:13 PM In reply to

csmager:

TripEnglish:

I'm aware of that (I've got that version on my BV7-40) - but you say for HDMI Matrix you're confined to once actual source (V.AUX2) and issue further commands to change the underlying source.   I'm assuming these can be named in a similar way to make it somewhat more obvious to the user what they're doing?

I think that's what I said. The same way that you name PUC sources in the new SW, you do so in the Matrix module under AV1.

• 10-07-2010 10:05 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:

csmager:

TripEnglish:

I think that's what I said. The same way that you name PUC sources in the new SW, you do so in the Matrix module under AV1.

Hi Trip,

I would appreciate if you could please let me know if this source name change functionality is also available for the Beovision 10 or is only possible for the Beovisions with Beosystem 3 (BV-7 etc.). Thank you

• 10-07-2010 6:39 PM In reply to

It's available on the BeoVision 10 as well.

• 10-07-2010 6:44 PM In reply to

It is a great feature. Strange that they charge for it...
  • 10-07-2010 6:56 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

PhilLondon:

Really? Seems on par to me - charge people (too much) for everything (updates that correct faults etc.)!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 10-07-2010 10:54 PM In reply to

Puncher:

PhilLondon:

Really? Seems on par to me - charge people (too much) for everything (updates that correct faults etc.)!

Actually makes good sense. The feature cost a lot to develop and it didn't seem fair to charge people who weren't going to use it. That's been a complaint for some time that with the BS3 platform you're buying unused features. I guess there's just no pleasing some people. 

• 10-08-2010 4:18 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

TripEnglish:

Puncher:

PhilLondon:

Actually makes good sense. The feature cost a lot to develop and it didn't seem fair to charge people who weren't going to use it. That's been a complaint for some time that with the BS3 platform you're buying unused features. I guess there's just no pleasing some people. 

I understand that the matrix should cost extra (and I shudder to think how much), however I'm getting the impression (maybe wrongly) that there will then be an additional charge to "unlock" or "activate" your TV(s). If this is the case then that would be taking the mick.

I would also hope that there isn't then a string of future paid "updates" required to get the device operating as the purchaser may have expected out of the box!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 10-08-2010 4:54 PM In reply to

They are just mean sometimes... You pay a TV 4 times the price of other TV on the market, and then you need to pay to activate features!!!!
  • 10-08-2010 5:22 PM In reply to

If you read my post above you'd see that the matrix is a cost-effective cabling & peripheral management solution, not a luxury. For the cost of the cable, baluns, peripherals, and man hours invested in multiple televisions you very quickly begin to see an overall savings with the matrix. How this is an affront to good sense eludes me. 

• 10-09-2010 5:13 PM In reply to

I'm quite uncomfortable with Trip's line of reasoning. If (when?) B&O adds Apple Lossless or gapless AAC playback to the BeoSound 5 and they try to charge me $1000 to "activate" such a feature, B&O will forever lose me as a customer.

• 10-09-2010 6:20 PM In reply to

beojeff:

I'm quite uncomfortable with Trip's line of reasoning. If (when?) B&O adds Apple Lossless or gapless AAC playback to the BeoSound 5 and they try to charge me $1000 to "activate" such a feature, B&O will forever lose me as a customer.

You shouldn't be. This is a very rare and isolated circumstance. If and when Apple Lossless comes to the BeoSound 5 it will not require a fee of any type. 

Page 1 of 1 (21 items)