in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-08-2010 8:57 AM by beojeff. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-05-2010 2:14 PM

Using DVD2 with HDMI rather than scart

I'm in the U.S. and have been considering importing a DVD2 from Europe just for the purpose of playing Region 2 DVDs. Also, I think the DVD2 would look great stacked on top of my BeoSystem 3. In the U.S. we don't use scart. Therefore, I would need to connect the DVD2 to my BeoSystem 3 via HDMI. Could someone familiar with the DVD2 answer a few questions?

1.) Does the DVD2 have its own IR sensor or does it completely depend on the scart for sending the IR commands?

2.) (Perhaps this is more of a BeoSystem 3 question.) Can the BeoSystem 3 automatically detect and switch between PAL and NTSC? My Sim2 projector can play PAL as well as NTSC. I just want to be sure the U.S. BeoSystem 3 would be able to send the PAL signal.

3.) Can the DVD2 record in NTSC or is recording limited to PAL? This isn't as much of a concern since I would primarily be using the DVD2 for Region 2 DVD playback.

• 10-07-2010 1:39 PM In reply to

Re: Using DVD2 with HDMI rather than scart

Anyone? The online manual isn't providing the answers I need.

• 10-07-2010 2:57 PM In reply to

Hi beojeff,

1.) The DVD2 has no IR sensor, it can only be remoted by a Beovision (scart).

I can´t answer your other two questions, because I have no BeoSystem 3 and no NTSC channels. Perhaps a look into the specifications of the DVD2 can help you: http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=1241

Regards

Räuber

• 10-07-2010 4:26 PM In reply to

Thanks, Raeuber. That's odd that the DVD2 has an HDMI out if the scart is needed for control. The manual even indicates the HDMI out as a way of connecting it to the tv. However, the manual makes no mention of IR control. Have you used your DVD2 connected via HDMI? If so, did you have to also connect the scart to enable control?

• 10-07-2010 4:55 PM In reply to

Is there perhaps some sort of adapter that adapts the scart control pin such that a mini-RCA cable can connect to the IR control of the BeoSystem 3?

• 10-07-2010 5:34 PM In reply to

beojeff:

Thanks, Raeuber. That's odd that the DVD2 has an HDMI out if the scart is needed for control. The manual even indicates the HDMI out as a way of connecting it to the tv. However, the manual makes no mention of IR control. Have you used your DVD2 connected via HDMI? If so, did you have to also connect the scart to enable control?

I have my DVD2 connected via HDMI and Scart to my tv. If you only connect it via HDMI, you can´t remote the DVD2, that´s why you need to connect it also via scart.

But there are other reasons why scart connection is needed:

1.) If you have another tv in a linkroom, you can only watch from the DVD2 if it is connected via scart.

2.) If you want to make recordings directly from the (digital) tuner of the tv (and not from the integrated analogue tuner), you also need a scart connection (HDMI is only one way from the DVD2 to the tv, not from tv to DVD2, scart is bidirectional).

I also would prefer only one connection (HDMI), but you really need scart for the DVD2.

Regards

Räuber

• 10-08-2010 3:38 AM In reply to

No Scart connection = not useable DVD2, and only 1 reason why its probably the worse B&O product even sold.................. :-(

Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill!!!

• 10-08-2010 6:31 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

beojeff:

Is there perhaps some sort of adapter that adapts the scart control pin such that a mini-RCA cable can connect to the IR control of the BeoSystem 3?

I ?m not living in the U.S., I have no BS3 (US), I have no DVD2, so I maybe have not the best qualification to give some advice here....

But maybe an rca adapter ->Scart for picture and sound should work. The BS3 has a control output for every AV socket (at least the european version). The newest SW 9.01 lets you decide in the connections menu, whether the connected device shall be controlled by IR or by plug (in this case: Scart). If you set this to IR, assign the AV socket to DVD or V.MEM with connected device as DVD1 or V8000, the BS3 should now send Beo IR commands in DVD/V.MEM mode to the control out. Connect this control out to PIN8 (data) and PIN21 (ground) of the scart socket at the back of the DVD2. Just an idea, never tested..

Or connect the IR output of a Lintronic box to PIN8 - 21 of the DVD2 Scart. Now you should be able to control yopur DVD2 by the Lintronic box. The box is able to receive and send Beo IR codes, and you can create your own mapping. http://www.lintronic.dk/NewsLetter-2008-2.pdf

IR control of the BS3 won`t work, I think, because it`s an input and we need an IR out....

Hope this helps

Stefan

• 10-08-2010 8:57 AM In reply to

Sadly, the U.S. version of the BeoSystem 3 differs from those of the rest of the world in that the U.S. BeoSystem 3 lacks scart sockets (as well as lacking the cable card slot). Also, we don't have B&O video link in the U.S.

It seems conceivable that a scart adapter could be made to wire the appropriate scart pins to a mini-rca plug to connect to the "control" socket of the BeoSystem 3. This would then allow the BeoSystem 3 to send the IR control to the DVD2. If only B&O had simply added a min-rca "control" socket to the DVD2 as they did with the BeoCenter 2!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)