in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-16-2010 7:39 AM by stefan. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-04-2010 4:36 PM

What does the BS5 give me?

Hi

I hope you can help me a little bit. I have a BM5 connected to my BV7, and we use the BM5 navigation on the link room TV quite a lot, and it works ok (after getting used to it). We mostly listen to BM5 content in our link room (kitchen) where we have a BV8-32 placed.

But, as I see it, many new features require having the BS5, and not just the BM5 as we have. But beside the very nice product, what does the BS5 add as value to my setup?

I have 2 further questions:
    Can we still navigate on the BM5 using our link TV in the kitchen, or must we always use the BS5 as control unit?
    Is it possible to use our speakers connected to the BV7 when we turn on the BS5 in the living room? We will not connect any speakers to the BM5 directly, we intend only to use the speakers connected to BV7 (BL9+BL2).

There is something about B&O.....

Filed under:
  • 10-05-2010 1:33 PM In reply to

Re: What does the BS5 give me?

Maybe there are other experts out there but I can describe my installation. The BM5 is connected via Beolink to my BV10 and all speakers are only connected to the TVs powerlink. The BS5 is then connected to the BM5. When want to hear music I can press the button on BS5 or on CD on my BEO4. The BS5 is then navigated via the BEO4 or the BS5. The navigation on BS5 is much more rich because I can browse thru all CD convolutes and all names on artists, album, tunenames, etc.

In my bedroom and also in the bathroom I have a linked TV and linked speakers and from there I start and navigate in blind the BS5/BM5. It works quite OK even though you have to remember how you have maked the favourite list.

Hopes that help you a little, brgds Ingvar

Collector since 1996, BS5/BM5, BL3*4, BL11, BEO6, BV10-46, BL2000, MX4002, Beocom6000, Beotalk1200

• 10-12-2010 7:07 PM In reply to

• Emil
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 98
    • Bronze Member

As mentioned by IngvarW your navigation possibilities via link room tv:s will unfortunately be reduced if you connect a BS5 to the system. While the BM5 uses the Beoplayer navigation, you can only go to next or previous tracks or to a colured playlist with your remote from link rooms if you connect a BS5.  Hopefully the new Beo6 will reduce this problem.

Inflagrante

• 10-12-2010 7:28 PM In reply to

Thanks a lot, does that mean that all I can navigate on from the link TV's is Photo and Web (I don't use Web though)?

In other words, the BS5 is the one to use if I wan't to listen to - or search for - an album?

• 10-14-2010 7:37 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

beolion:

Thanks a lot, does that mean that all I can navigate on from the link TV's is Photo and Web (I don't use Web though)?

In other words, the BS5 is the one to use if I wan't to listen to - or search for - an album?

Yes and no...All you have on link TVs is the cover of the current song, no covers on the left side to scroll for searching albums - disappointing!

But you can use up - down, left - right buttons to navigate.

I`m copying new albums to the red list. Now you can select one of these albums by pressing N.MUSIC - RED - left/right or 1/2/3...also works in audio linkrooms.

Mainly I use the MOTS feature, selecting a song and let the BS5 create a list.

Hope this helps.

Stefan

• 10-14-2010 4:53 PM In reply to

Hi Stefan

That sounds actually usable for me (and perhaps my wife Smile), I could imagine that the MOTS will be used in general.

Do you know how many albums we can store in the fav. list? Is it 99 albums or 99 songs?

• 10-15-2010 3:18 AM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

It's 99 tracks so 396 tracks for 4 favorite lists.

• 10-15-2010 5:38 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

beolion:

Hi Stefan

That sounds actually usable for me (and perhaps my wife Smile), I could imagine that the MOTS will be used in general.

Do you know how many albums we can store in the fav. list? Is it 99 albums or 99 songs?

I just stored more than ten albums to the yellow list, so it`s more than 99 songs. As said, navigation is quite simple. You can select next/previous song by up/down buttons and next/previous album by left/right buttons, or 1/2/3... to select a specific album. 

Stefan

• 10-15-2010 1:23 PM In reply to

A small thing, maybe, I was at the dealer today, and I like the feel and use of BS5, and I asked a small question he could not answer (now), and this is about the tagging of music.

On the BM5 I can navigate on Playlist, Genre, Artists, Albums, Titles and Folders. I use the Playlist and Artists mostly, but, what I miss is the Album Artists. The Artists on my BM5 is the song artists (there can be more artists to one song), which gives me far too many artists to select among (makes navigation a bit difficult). 

Does the BS5 use the Album artist or Song Artist?

And how do you navigate using the Album Artist? I hoped I could use the Folder (I use Subfolders for albums for an artist, but BM5 can't show me the Folder structure, only the "lowest" level of folders which = Albums)

• 10-15-2010 4:02 PM In reply to

• Alain
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-22-2009
    • Bierbeek, Belgium
    • Posts 9
    • Bronze Member

BS5 uses the song artists.  As you say, extremely useless to navigate.

In general, navigation on BS5 is a real pain.  Incredible how bad they made it.

You can scroll through covers.  But the icons are so small that the only way to make something of it, is to remember from the time you used the CDs.  They should have shown a bigger picture of the cover under focus at the left side of the screen, plus title and album artist.  Even that is never shown!

Searching through album artist is also missing, or at least, I haven't found it yet.

Navigating by Genre simply doesn't give anything.

And yes, there is a concept of Folder, but I am still to find out how that works.

While the concept of BS5/BM5 is great, and the design and sound quality are marvelous, I am quite disappointed by the quality of their software (navigation is not the only bad thing).

• 10-16-2010 7:39 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

beolion:

Does the BS5 use the Album artist or Song Artist?

And how do you navigate using the Album Artist? I hoped I could use the Folder (I use Subfolders for albums for an artist, but BM5 can't show me the Folder structure, only the "lowest" level of folders which = Albums)

When searching for an artist, you select the artist by pressing the left arrow button. Now the BS5 will display the songs in album order. The title of the album is marked with a blue stripe. Below the album title the songs are listed in album order: 

(blue stripe) album title 1

1 song 1...

2 song 2...

3 song 3...

(blue stripe) album title 2

1 song 1...

2 song 2...

3 song 3...

You can select an album by pressing GO on BS5. Now the album will be played, and afterwards MOTS will start. If you select a specific song, it will be played, and afterwards MOTS will start.

Stefan

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)