in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-07-2010 1:35 PM by tournedos. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (21 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-03-2010 6:22 PM

• Dragos
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-29-2008
    • Leeds
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

MCL system with MCL2E and MCL2A problems

Hi, everyone.

Some of you have known I've been working on extending my BM5500 system to several rooms in my house and several of you have very kindly helped me with great adv/ce throughout the project. I thought I had it covered but I've got a new problem (rather serious).

I have been using about 30m of MCL cable with 3 MCL2A boxes downstairs and upstairs. It all worked fine with 3 MCL2As on it I then bought some more MCL2As and transceivers, as well as an MCL2E expander. Yesterday I finally lifted all the floorboards upstairs and ran the MCL cable in all my rooms. Before connecting all the MCL2As, I thought I'd better test the system with one extra box and the MCL2E expander. The expander came without a DC adaptor, so I borrowed a 12V 2.3A one from an external hardrive. Disaster! The BM5500 seemed to have died when the MCL2E was connected, then it started coming back to life and playing faint CD but no radio, then when I disconnected the MCL2E and linked the additional MCL2A directly it seems to be back, but my first MCL2A was fried and I had to replace it.

However, the manual which I have just come across suggests I could link 4 MCL2As before needing an expander box. I have 4, but the last one only switches on if the 3rd one is on. Is this because the cable is longer than 500ft? Would an MCL2E placed sooner in the set-up bring it back to full life?

Also, what should the specs of the MCL2E DC adaptor be so that I stop frying my system, please?

Really grateful for all your advice as ever,

Dragos

Filed under:
  • 10-04-2010 4:04 PM In reply to

• Dragos
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-29-2008
    • Leeds
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

Re: MCL system with MCL2E and MCL2A problems

No ideas? That's a shame...

• 10-04-2010 5:34 PM In reply to

How many are using the old MCL system?

Anyway I got an MCL2 Expander from US as I was planing on doing a MCL setup with my BM6500.

It does not work with Danish voltage 240 but the specs are given as:

117 VC 60 hz 12w for input

12VDC 500mA for output.

As long as it matches the output it should be fine.

If the number of MCL 2 units is increased, or if more than 500 ft. of cable is

used, it is necessary to insert an MCL 2 Expander.

• 10-04-2010 5:48 PM In reply to

• Dragos
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-29-2008
    • Leeds
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

Hi :) Thanks a lot for this.

At the moment I have 5 working ones and I am hoping I can fix the one that's blown, too, so there will be 6 in total using MCL. I've found this one at Maplin, unless I am reading this wrongly and someone is kind enough to say stop before I burn another MCL2A...

Thanks again,
    Dragos :)

• 10-04-2010 5:51 PM In reply to

• cone
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Oviedo/SPAIN
    • Posts 598
    • Bronze Member

According "Master control link handbook" that I have, about Dimensioning says several important points:" additional 12 MCL 2 units can be connected to the MCL2 Expander, these 12 units can be distributed in up to 3 strings with a maximim of 4 units in each string. The total cable length connected to de MCL2 expander must not exceed 450m (3 x 150m). MCL2 expnander should be placed as close to the audio master as possible".

Applicable to the MCL 2A only: "As the speakers in the local rooms are conected in parallel, there is a limit to the number of local rooms in which the speakers can be cut in simultaneously. If too many speakers are cut in at the same time, the protection circuit of the audio master will be activated and either lower the volume or switch the whole system into stand by"

• 10-04-2010 5:52 PM In reply to

• Dragos
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-29-2008
    • Leeds
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

Or this one on e-bay...

• 10-05-2010 2:23 AM In reply to

Both should do the job just fine.

• 10-05-2010 8:36 AM In reply to

Dragos:
    I've found this one at Maplin, unless I am reading this wrongly and someone is kind enough to say stop before I burn another MCL2A...

BUY THIS ONE! -not the one on eBay!

B&o always having to be different -reversed polarity on the plug from just about every adapter I have ever seen. You NEED to have the center polarity as NEGATIVE (-). The unit from Maplins allows you to do this, the other is fixed -and wrong!

My guess is that played a role in your previous "disaster."

• B&o bottle opener
  • 10-05-2010 7:01 PM In reply to

• Dragos
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-29-2008
    • Leeds
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

Hey, everyone

Thanks again for all your help - I really appreciate it! I've got a bit further but it's still not perfect... :(

I got the Maplin adaptor, changed the centre polarity to negative, connected the MCL2E box and have managed to to break any more MCL2A boxes so far. Which is great, thanks!

However, my circuit seems to be running fine until I get to the expander box. The 3 MCL2As operate as normal, but once I try and operate the 2 that follow the MCL2E, things are not as good. The transceivers would switch on the sound, but they would not do anything else (allow changing the volume, channels, cd/radio, etc...) The last one on the circuit would then switch off, too, but the one following the MCL2E wouldn't even do that... it's like they don't have enough power to do everything...

When I bought the MCL2As I tested them and they all worked fine (transceivers, too).

What's more weird is that, despite the cable length being 30m (so above 500ft), when I only had 3 MCL2As connected, they were all running perfectly. Now that I am trying to intercalate a few (2 for now but ideally 3) more rooms, it all seems to be going a bit wrong... I am really really confused... What could it be? 500mA not enough for the adaptor? Inside diameter of DC adaptor needs to be a particular one (I tried several and nothing, though... - I have 1.7mm, 0.7, 1.4, 2.5, 2.1, and 3.0). Does the Beomaster need a service in order to drive these additional 2 MCL2As (though I can't see whay that would be...)?

I would really appreciate your advice, guys. Many thanks,
    Dragos 

• 10-06-2010 4:02 PM In reply to

• Dragos
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-29-2008
    • Leeds
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

Looks like I may have stumped everyone with this latest development... that doesn't sound good... oh, well, never give up hope I guess...

• 10-06-2010 4:37 PM In reply to

Well, there aren't that many people doing MCL at this scale on the forum I guess...

I don't remember all the twists, but have you been able to verify at some point that the MCL2E actually works?

-mika

• 10-06-2010 5:05 PM In reply to

• Dragos
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-29-2008
    • Leeds
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

Not as such, Mika. I kind of trusted it worked and at first I connected the cables wrongly and nothing worked (I had them linked the wrong way round). I changed them and then at least I got some music out of the speakers connected to the MCL2As after the MCL2E. Nothing except Power On, though... :(

It's been on my mind for a while: given the help I have been getting, the least I can do is join the club properly... would I find an MCL2E guide on the site and some written help about what I'm looking for? Not a problem doing a bit of reading on my part...

• 10-06-2010 6:02 PM In reply to

We have the MCL2 installation and user guides on site (the "user" guide actually being the one that an installer would like to read), but they don't go inside the boxes at all - otherwise I would've told you a long time ago what the correct spec for the power supply is! Just wiring and configuration instructions.

One thing I note there is that they advice to locate the expander box as close to the audio master as possible, and it should then be able to drive three parallel chains of up to four MCL2A's (each up to 500 ft). Dunno how critical that is, but I'm sure it's not a hard limit.

-mika

• 10-06-2010 9:00 PM In reply to

One quick comment... Are you cycling power on EVERYTHING including the BeoMaster when making changes?
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 10-07-2010 5:05 AM In reply to

• Dragos
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-29-2008
    • Leeds
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

No. My understanding is that I need to switch off the whole system, connect the MCL2E, then swich back on and finally plug in the MCL2E. Does that sound about right?

• 10-07-2010 10:01 AM In reply to

Before this gets too confusing (switch off = remove from mains?) and acknowledging that MCL can be "picky..."

I would turn everything off, remove from the mains, make all of your connections... then and only then -reapply power. First to the MCL components, then finally to the Master.

NOTES: I wouldn't classify my suggestion as "best practice" but more "logical practice." I have not used an extender in any MCL networks; I will be happy to review my manuals and re-post as needed.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 10-07-2010 10:54 AM In reply to

P.S. Reviewing the thread for more insight -the expander took the brunt of the hit from your first post... it may have actually worked when you sourced it. Now, hard to say!

Dragos:
    I thought I'd better test the system with one extra box and the MCL2E expander. The expander came without a DC adaptor, so I borrowed a 12V 2.3A one from an external hardrive. Disaster!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 10-07-2010 10:59 AM In reply to

• Dragos
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-29-2008
    • Leeds
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

ooooooohh, man!!!!!!

• 10-07-2010 11:02 AM In reply to

Dragos:

ooooooohh, man!!!!!!

Is that good or bad? Confused Laughing

• B&o bottle opener
  • 10-07-2010 12:25 PM In reply to

• Dragos
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-29-2008
    • Leeds
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

You know what, guys? This is weird but I'm not complaining and I only hope it goes on for some time.

I worked out that a reason for the one-way behaviour of some of my transceivers could be explained by faulty cabling. Fortunately it was only because the tremendously fiddly white data cable had come out of its place in my 3rd MCL2A. So that was a good start. However, even after rectifying that, the MCL2As connected after the MCL2E didn't want to play ball properly, so I gave up, got rid of the MCL2E and connected them directly. Now my beloved white BM5500 is driving 5 MCL2As on a 30m cable (about 98ft, not more than 500ft as I originally thought ... imperial and metric, hey? well, if Nasa got mixed up...) (I'll abandon the 6th room because I really don't want to push my luck).

If only I could find a white Beogram 5500 Christmas would come early...

Anyway, I digress :) Thanks a lot, everyone, for your invaluable help. Have a super duper day,
    Dragos :)

• 10-07-2010 1:35 PM In reply to

Limited success is still success! Smile

Neither the MCL2A's nor the Beomaster really know how many of them are on the wire, so you might well get away with more than recommended number of MCL2A's as your cabling isn't that long after all. (No, I didn't bother really thinking what "500 ft" actually means either! It's more than across a bloody football field! Laughing )

Have fun!

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (21 items)