in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-02-2010 4:17 PM by Gianfranco . 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-01-2010 11:00 AM

Beomaster 8000 (30 year anniversary coming up!!!!) Stories?

Well...    I think mine is not the oldest (serial begins 22xxxx  can't read the rest, print has faded, probably from the heat of the power amp).  Anyway, Would be good to see who has the oldest or best on here.  Again, that wouldn't be mine either as although it's in almost mint condition externally, I've never had it serviced, so now it's a bit like an old pet cat, doesn't always want to be stroked and likes an easy life :-)  I'm posting this because with winter coming, my BM8000 has begun it's annual (doesn't want to work in the cold) routine.  Curious to know if anyone else has any old stuff that is a bit seasonal!!!  Yes I have central heating but unlike in the Summer where the temp changes are not so dramatic, in winter the constant heating up and cooling of the house makes things react, capacitors mainly.

So my 8000 works 100%, when it actually comes on, I'm guessing some sort of 'clocking' problem usually. Sometimes starts up with everything flashing / ticking. Once you spin the dials or press a few buttons then seems to reset all the variious registers and the thing stablises, as it warms.  Odd thing is, every time it does this, radio preset P2 seems to be lost, reverts to 87.5 (bottom of the FM band).  All the other presets seem to come back as before. Question: does anyone know if there is some sort of bios type battery in the 8000 that maintains memory values when the power is disconnected from the mains? Or are the P registers ROM based (non volitile) have I got that the right way round?

Just fancied a quick ramble, if anyone wants to join in... or add a story about their 30ish year old 8000 (good or bad).  Actually, probably 29 years, I miss counted but now I've done the post, just submitting it anyway.  Is it worth paying to have it serviced. I'm about 10 mins from the UK service centre in Gloucester but not asked them yet.

http://forum.beoworld.org/members/Jackplug/files/My+Audio/IMG_5F00_5102.JPG.aspx

Jack

BV10(40) BV8-32, BV3-32, MX7000, DVD1, HDR1, V8000

Beomedia-1, BS9000, BC7002, BC2300, BS5500, BM6500, BGCD6500, BM1900-2

BL5, BL8000, BL6000, BL Penta3, BL3500

Beovox MC120.2, 3000 Panels, CX50s, C75s, AND LOTS WIRES, BOOkS, MAGS n BITS (ebay sales: beo-store-uk)

• 10-01-2010 11:21 AM In reply to

Re: Beomaster 8000 (30 year anniversary coming up!!!!) Stories?

In my opinion the best receiver ever made! Fantastic sound quality, build quality superb and the design is still ........wow.......

• 10-01-2010 11:28 AM In reply to

ernie:

In my opinion the best receiver ever made! Fantastic sound quality, build quality superb and the design is still ........wow.......

Right on brother Cool

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 10-01-2010 11:57 AM In reply to

Jackplug:
    Odd thing is, every time it does this, radio preset P2 seems to be lost, reverts to 87.5

Take a look at THIS THREAD... it fixed a very similar issue w/ mine!

Also, I do have a story about my 8000 and I will post it later when I have time! Big Smile

• B&o bottle opener
  • 10-01-2010 12:17 PM In reply to

Cheers,  the 'MONITOR + STAND BY' Micro test seems to give it a good 'jolt'  back into normallity.  Maybe B&O should have beaten Microsoft to it and just added a 'CTL+ALT+DEL' buttons so it could be used for many more trouble free years, like PCs can Laughing

Jack

BV10(40) BV8-32, BV3-32, MX7000, DVD1, HDR1, V8000

Beomedia-1, BS9000, BC7002, BC2300, BS5500, BM6500, BGCD6500, BM1900-2

BL5, BL8000, BL6000, BL Penta3, BL3500

Beovox MC120.2, 3000 Panels, CX50s, C75s, AND LOTS WIRES, BOOkS, MAGS n BITS (ebay sales: beo-store-uk)

• 10-01-2010 12:50 PM In reply to

Let's see. Going back to early 2008 here in Denmark.

I have had the Beocord 9000 since 2003 and now time had come to upgrade from Beosystem 2000 (80's) which was working great for 3 years and then I sold it as a complete system.

As I recall there were 3 or 4 BM8000 on the market early 2008. I was in school so a limited budget. I did not care if it even worked as Dillen had allready fixed my Beogram 8002 back in the fall of 2007 and a white BM6000 too. Both are still working these days without faults.

I noticed an ad for cheap rosewood Beomaster 8000 with CDX near the German border in Jutland Denmark. Both were not working. BM blew fuses and the CDX had a broken hinge. I got it reserved for payday and typically travel would be to go and pick it up then take it to Copenhagen were I would meet Dillen and he would then look at it.

The CDX was nearly given up but I noticed that Medogsfat could fix the hinge and Dillen the electronics so a message later it was saved. The CDX still plays great.

Beomaster 8000 was a bit more tricky. Alot of loose connections and signs of unprofesional service. Not difficult but time consuming as Dillen summed it up. He got it fixed and 3 days later I had a chance to pick it up nearby. I do live in the other part of Denmark so its 4 hours back and forth. I got it home and what did it do? Blew the fuses! Damm the net transformer had to be changed. Back to Dillen but since then I have changed one lead that gave a loose connection and it still has a few but it works great in the outputs which also were fried. The caps were gone. The standby were broken so its missing. At some point its going to Dillen but thats in the future as I'm not using it.

The Beolab terminal did not come with the Beomaster but I allready had one that I traded for a Terminal for the BM6000 LED. I was actually bidding on US ebay but I sugested if he would get it for me I would send the BM6000. He then outbid me and send it to me. That one has has some soldering done by Dillen. It stood for a long while with no battery and when I put a new one in no response. It still works as well.

Back in 2007 while the Beogram 8002 was at Dillen I saw a complete Beosystem 6000 in white edition on a Danish auction. It came without speakers but I got it anyway as it looked very nice and together as a system. That's another interesting story but no BM8000 related so.

I got the white BM6000 complete with 2 pairs of white Beovox S80.2, S120 white SC60 stand Terminal and manuals for nearly all of it. I had seen in the manuals from Beoworld that the BM8000 could be white edition too but how rare is this?

I did not think much about it other if it shows up I would go for it. One day on a Danish HIFI forum someone had posted a link under the vintage goodies for sale thread. There it was a white Beomaster 8000 without terminal but still working! It cost me the same as picking it up but it was worth it.

The above picture was taken the evening I got it home. General faults are display and somehow no response when using TP2 or PH so its also going to Dillen sometime in the future.

This one I'm going to keep. I do hope some white Beovox MS150 will turn up someday. A matching Beogram 8002 and BC9000 would not be bad either.

The rosewood Beosystem 8000 is going to be sold as I got to cut down on the rather large collection.

• 10-01-2010 2:07 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Well my story about my Beomaster 8000 is quite short and simple actually.....

I don't have one!! [:'(]

Durban South Africa

• 10-01-2010 3:33 PM In reply to

BenSA:

You should do something about that! :D

The BM8000 is really great. All that mighty power, great sound and a very classy package! Unfortunately after all these years they are getting a bit cranky, mine probably needs the fix Burantek mentions too.

It took a while for me to get to like the design though. Guess it's like how you learn to appreciate a good glass of scotch. In my B&O beginning days I really liked the 'flats' and thought the BM8000 was weird, but my tastes seem to have matured Smile

I like the mix of classic wood and the modern form, looks and operation: truly the last incarnation of the great age of B&O amplifiers/receivers, and a tour de force at that.

I bought mine together with a BC8000, guess it is an early one, otherwise it probably would have come with a BC8002 or BC9000. It goes very well together with the M100.2 loudspeakers, I enjoy the set every day! Serial no is 2297001, what year of production does that correspond to?

I hope to find a BG8002 some day to complement it, but they seem to be scarce, and pretty pricey! And an Eames lounge chair to sit in while listening to it, it looks as if it was made to go with the BL8000 systemStick out tongue

Great thread, I hope for more stories. Congratulations to all you fellow BM8000 lovers with the 29th birthday of our engineering and design masterpiece!

Big Smile

• 10-01-2010 7:19 PM In reply to

BenSA:

Same here.  No reason why I couldn't correct that now (other than lack of space) but back around 1980 an expanding family and new mortgage started a period of B&O famine for me!

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 10-02-2010 4:17 PM In reply to

I open today the carton box were sleeping since 5 years my  BM8000. I connect the power and it blinking ! Turn off, wait few second , turn on and now all is ok, but 1 digit in volume display not work, great problem because the display is impossible to find. Then what I can do ? I bring my screwdriver open the BM 8000, take out the PCB n°8 and unsolder the display. Look it 360° and I decide to open. Surprise, inside there are 7 microscopics led, I check the defective and find that is unsolder, then solder the pin and it lighted. WONDERFUL !

In the next days I will check all, but I think to use the BM for the next 10 years. 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)