in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-30-2010 4:48 AM by Pestria. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-28-2010 6:52 AM

Off Topic - Bose Speaker Repair

Hi

Probably get shot down in flames - but I own a Bose Acoustimass 5 set of speakers which I use in the kitchen (thought they'd be good to hide on top of the kitchen units).

The bass unit has stopped producing anything but the minutest muffled sound.  The satellite cubes are working perfectly.

Can anyone suggest how I might go about finding out what's wrong with the sub, or alternatively recommend a repairer?

Thanks in advance.

AP

• 09-28-2010 8:55 AM In reply to

Re: Off Topic - Bose Speaker Repair

Stupid question, but what the heck: Might you have young one(s) w/ access to the sub?

When I had a similar BOSE sub w/ the exposed port -mine lovingly deposited all sorts of "stuff" into the throat.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 09-28-2010 11:12 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

burantek:

Stupid question, but what the heck: Might you have young one(s) w/ access to the sub?

When I had a similar BOSE sub w/ the exposed port -mine lovingly deposited all sorts of "stuff" into the throat.

LaughingLaughingLaughing

Evan

• 09-29-2010 4:26 AM In reply to

No - nothing obviously blocking the speaker output.

The unit has been unused for a bout 5 years, sitting in the loft.

I noticed the problems when reinstalling.

• 09-29-2010 10:58 AM In reply to

Had a similar problem with mine, I had connected the wires out of phase.  Result was practically no bass at all.

Try changing the phase of one of the two wires on the input to the sub (switch red/black), maybe that fixes it.

• 09-29-2010 11:04 AM In reply to

I agree w/ the above...

These are sort of the ultimate black box -not much to get wrong but wiring. Short of that, and this being out of warranty -you could open it up and/or just replace it.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 09-30-2010 4:48 AM In reply to

Embarrassed

You were, of course, totally correct.

Serves me right for using some grimy cables where I couldn't claerly see the black stripe .....

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)