in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-29-2010 12:39 PM by macjonny1. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (21 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-26-2010 1:40 AM

• jc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 145
    • Bronze Member

Beosound 1 discontinued?

Is the Beosound 1 to be discontinued? Somewere in this forum I've read this, I would be surprised as this is in my view a B&o classic-to-be and a very good radio. Strange that the outdated Beolab 8000 gets a new life as the beolab 8002 and this radio-cd player which is more recent would be stopped. Anyway, if it's true, I will buy one before it's too late. 

• 09-26-2010 2:57 AM In reply to

Re: Beosound 1 discontinued?

I agree with you but I suppose its place is being taken by the iPod dock. CDs are no longer selling so well apparently and being FM only could be seen as a drawback. It is certainly the reason I never bought one. It would also have benefitted from a battery pack of some sort.

• 09-26-2010 4:56 AM In reply to

• jc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 145
    • Bronze Member

Ipod can be connected at the AUX input, as with even much older B&o gear. I think the Beosound 1 is a very good radio/speaker, especially excells at vocals. At this specific point even beter/clearer than the beolab 3 I think.

• 09-26-2010 6:41 AM In reply to

• Beofan2
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-31-2007
    • Fredericia, Denmark
    • Posts 313
    • Bronze Member

I was told by my dealer that it will be discontinued. He was as I am not happy about by this decission. I`m often surpriced by which products will stay and which will not. However both BeoLab´s mentioned are very popular speakers. Said that I belive we need to see some new ones. And finaly, yes BS8 will probably replace BS1 but what about BS7??? the BS between BS6 and BS8.

It´s not magic - it´s Bang & Olufsen

• 09-26-2010 12:14 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Just a fantasy here...

The BeoSound 7 is the new B&O mp3 player that will be docked on BeoSound 8.

Laughing

Presently I am trying to do a deal on a BS1 to be gifted to my father for Christmas. His office is without sound!

Evan

• 09-26-2010 4:51 PM In reply to

I never understood or liked the BeoSound 1. I really cant appreciate its high price and the fact that it lacked DAB etc was appaling. Maybe in the very early 90s an FM radio and a basic CD player was acceptable but old hissy FM just doesn't do it anymore. I had a BeoSound Century and I loved the design of that but times have moved on. Once you get used to the ease of use of iPods together with not having to have hundreds of CDs scattered around your room, I think there's no going back!!! It's just AWESOME being able to find any track that you've owned with seconds! Let's hope the BS8 is insiring in its design or it'll be the B&W MINI Zepplin for me!

• 09-26-2010 9:42 PM In reply to

The B&W Mini Zeppelin? I'd rather just sit in silence. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 09-27-2010 12:17 AM In reply to

Even if they discontinue now I am sure until inventory is sold it will be a year. Always always keep in mind that they do not End of Life topsellers.

I think only few people buy CDs players these days. If I would start from scratch today, I would think very very hard about it.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 09-27-2010 2:54 AM In reply to

• jc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 145
    • Bronze Member

"old hissy FM"??

My experience with the Beosound 1 is one of very good FM reception, even better sound than coax cable.

Most people listen to ipod with compressed music files so I wonder were this ipod adoration comes from..

Besides as a design it's really a work of art. It seems to me that the same cannot be said of the new B&o ipod-dock.. As with the beocom 5 I'm thinking B&o design is following the wrong path here.. 

• 09-27-2010 3:22 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-23-2007
    • Posts 223
    • Bronze Member

jc:

Besides as a design it's really a work of art. It seems to me that the same cannot be said of the new B&o ipod-dock.. As with the beocom 5 I'm thinking B&o design is following the wrong path here.. 

Agreed on the really crappy new dock product but  what's wrong with the BC 5 ????

• 09-27-2010 3:48 AM In reply to

I'm a very happy BS1 owner... and find it sad to see it being discontinued.  The looks and sound of this sculpture keep on amazing me! But.. time and technology keep on evolving ...

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 09-27-2010 3:56 AM In reply to

• jc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 145
    • Bronze Member

@Alex;

Agreed, the Beosound 5 is a very good design, I think Mr Hermansen does his job well. His A8 headset also is a much copied masterpiece.

Nevertheless I think the beocom 5 will prove to be a mistake, has nothing B&o to it, for shure isn't going to be a classic design, it simply doesn't stand out of the majority of phones on the market. A much cheaper Siemens DECT phone is a better design.

• 09-27-2010 4:04 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Well I suppose that couldn't keep selling it forever but it was certainately a very good product. Obviously it wasn't meant as a main system but perfect for a spot where you needed some music.

Durban South Africa

• 09-27-2010 11:25 AM In reply to

Too bad, I really like the Beosound 1.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 09-27-2010 1:43 PM In reply to

• AdiS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-24-2007
    • Posts 196
    • Bronze Member

I can´t understand why B&O don´t update the BS1. MP3 Cd-Player and SD-Card socket or maybe socket for an Ipod instead of the CD-Player and they could sell much more BS 1 in future!

• 09-27-2010 5:45 PM In reply to

I agree.

I have two Bsnd 1's and they are used daily - one mainly for Radio 4 ( speech based UK radi ) and the sound is superb.

Truth is, it should have been updated for CD/mp3 capability years ago  and adding a USB/SD input can't be beyond those clever Danes - given every £80 bit of plastic crap has one built in, they can't be too costly.

Better still - why not just replace the CD mech with an ipod dock.

Look at this - http://www.sonos.co.uk/products/zoneplayers/s5/default.aspx?rdr=true&LangType=2057

Doesn't sound (quite) as good.  But there's a lot of tech in there. Half the size.  One third the price.  

Importantly - it suggests the basic form is appealing and saleable.

Its a shame... but when BSnd 1 launched it was £590 - it's now about twice that - so perhaps it is inevitable.

• 09-27-2010 11:32 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

AdiS:

I can´t understand why B&O don´t update the BS1. MP3 Cd-Player and SD-Card socket or maybe socket for an Ipod instead of the CD-Player and they could sell much more BS 1 in future!

I smell a project!

Evan

• 09-29-2010 12:07 PM In reply to

• mattyd
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 06-21-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

Beofan2:

but what about BS7??? the BS between BS6 and BS8.

When Bang & Olufsen are thinking up an idea (in idea land) they have to put aside the next number (ie BS7).  If they do not deside to make that product or idea, they can not use that number again.  Which is also why BeoSound 5 came out after BeoSound 6 because the BeoSound 5 was being thought up before BeoSound 6 came out.

Hope that clears it up!

• 09-29-2010 12:14 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

mattyd:
    When Bang & Olufsen are thinking up an idea (in idea land) they have to put aside the next number (ie BS7).  If they do not deside to make that product or idea, they can not use that number again.  Which is also why BeoSound 5 came out after BeoSound 6 because the BeoSound 5 was being thought up before BeoSound 6 came out.

Hope that clears it up!

Seems awfully "mathematical" (IF>THEN).

I hope they're a tad less rigid in their development than what you say. Being Danes, I highly doubt they're acting like old school Soviets.

• 09-29-2010 12:35 PM In reply to

AdiS:

Too simple. You want a solution where you have to move the music from your iPod to a separate storage disk, and then manually enter all the song info using the Beo4 without a display showing you what you are writing. Then you're talking!

Big Smile

• 09-29-2010 12:39 PM In reply to

I love my BS1, I have it sitting in a corner in my dining room on the metal stand made for it, connected to a sonos zoneplayer via the Aux input.  Great little player.  Don't use the CD much but the mechanism is a work of art.

Page 1 of 1 (21 items)