in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-01-2010 12:39 PM by elephant. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-25-2010 12:01 AM

"a day in the life of a B&O owner" scenarios

In this post > A Trip Report < TripEnglish described how in the recent dealer's conference B&O painted their vision of our future ...

So I thought, why not provide them with our own vision/fantasy of how we would like to live in the future ?

Here is a replay (as best I can remember it) of a post I made some years and Beoworlds ago ...

I travel home from the city listening to my BeoSound 2 through my A8s.

I walk through the door, my keyring switching on the lights and warming up my Beosystem.

I drop my Beosound into its cardle, and it starts recharging, and the Beosystem smoothly picks up the song being played and broadcasts it through the room's speakers.

As I make my way through the house, I either touch wall panels, or click my keyring, and additional speakers come to life in each room. 

OK, I elaborated it a bit more than back in ±2004 but you get the idea.

Based the lifestyle I now lead I would add portability of video to the above portability of audio.  My music video collection is growing, from captures of amateur musicians' youtube clips, purchased music videos, or captures from my music DVD collection.  So I would like to be able to play that wherever I am ... to have the video_audio portable and/or playable around the home.

Over to you ......>

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 09-25-2010 12:09 AM In reply to

Re: "a day in the life of a B&O owner" scenarios

I'm anxious to see if anyone actually thinks as broadly as B&O or if it's just: "I wake up and I use my iPhone to control my iPad via my iMac and somehow B&O is in there somewheres. Goodnight."

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 09-25-2010 1:08 AM In reply to

well I stayed away from mentioning any fruit !

however it is difficult to stretch one's thinking outside the proverbial 9 dots

we should steer clear of mentioning products (or any flavour) but just talk capabilities, wants and needs

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 09-25-2010 4:08 AM In reply to

• Jon
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2009
    • Posts 138
    • Bronze Member

I guess I'm old fashioned for my age!

I can go all day without any B&O in my car, at my work, or on my person, computer, phone, or whatever. I don't care about whether my fancy key chain or remote control tells my coffee pot to brew, or flushes my toilet for me. I don't use any Apple products whatsoever. No biasedness, I just don't use 'em. Couldn't care less about an Iphone, or Ipod, or any of that stuff. I don't really even like computers, other than for getting on Beoworld!Big Smile I'm too busy to care about any of that through the day anyway.

But when I get home, and I have time to relax, I want to sit down, drink some beer or wine, turn out the lights, fire up a big, beautiful Hi-Fi system, put on some music of my choice, and get lost in the music. My 30-year-old B&O gives me pleasure beyond anything else in this regard. It looks beautiful and sounds beautiful. Physically handling my B&O and my music gives me tactile pleasure beyond anything short of touching my wife!

Jon

• 09-25-2010 4:09 AM In reply to

I don't care how I do it - only that it's intuitive and reliable.

My wishlist of requirements:

- I'm able to watch and control any video source in any room - in the same way in each room.  In full resolution (HD if applicable), and not restricted to watching what someone else is watching in another room (a la the RF/ML bus system of today).

- Stored video:  I already use a Windows Media Center / XBMC system which the B&O PUC can control.  But these aren't quite reliable enough.  Either someone needs to make an appliance, or B&O need to solve the problem.  I appreciate Kaleidescape go some way to doing this, but it's extraordinarily expensive for what it is.

- I'm able to choose whatever music I want in a similar fashion - either by an easy name search or album cover search.  I'd like to be able to make every room play whatever they choose independently, but also able to make every room play the same thing if I wished ('party mode' or something)

- And, of course, a timer to ensure the whole house wakes up to the radio at some time.  Would be nice to have independent timers per-room too.

I realise a lot of this is already possible, and other bits appear to be already on the way.  So I'm hopeful.

• 09-25-2010 4:56 AM In reply to

I have a five room audio beolink system, driven by a Living room with Bsnd9000 & Avantdvd.  

I would love seperate source in seperate rooms.......thats it.   The mode of operation is great, the sound via various beolabs and outside through rock speakers is great.....I just would like to have choice for seperate sources, inc streamed audio, in my rooms.

Given what SONOS can do (for less the price of a pair of Beolab 4's !?!) it really is a bit poor that B&O are three or four years behind the pack with this.

Like others here , I have some work arounds.  I have resisted adding sonos/apple options because of brand loyalty and also there are 5 people here who all know how each room works.....introducing new remotes just for digital audio, and the need to "press link AUX then change remotes or use your phone and press xx " isn't appealing.

So..Spotify/itunes can be accessed everywhere (via the VTAPE button as its an audio only feed into the vtape scart on a DVD avant). BUT no control...its press play and of you go.  Thats OK though - everyone has multiple playlists.  As I type this I'm listening to my "Shrewsbury Folk Festival 2010" playlist....good songs, good memories.

From my Bsnd9000, CD, FM and my Beogram can be accessed everwhere over ML - BUT not if spotify is in use outside, in the kitchen or bathroom (which, with 3 kids it often is).  So....I can't listen to an LP in the room my record player sits in, if someone is having a shower....ho-hum.

SKY, a DVD or any audio can be used in the Living room regardles of what the link rooms are doing....but NOT if one or more of the link rooms is using the Bsnd9000 - because then the ML is "busy" even in the Living room, so a CD at that time there must be in the DVD player...

These restricions are simply the lack of multisource/multiroom capability.  I know about beonet, and mlgw, but... the Beolink system needs local inputs (that can be accessed and controlled form other rooms) and the option for multisource without having to Re-wire my house.....

It's the fact that there ARE fully functioning, wireless solutions like this already in the market that is so frustrating.....B&O should be able to do this by now. 

Access to last fm, spotify, napster,your own library on a NAS, PC or mac....it should just be available without clogging up your other rooms.  So even adding a Beoport would not cure this.  Once the ML is in use, your stuck with Main Room plus the others. This limit gets more frustrating the more rooms & people you add in. 

So, perversely, the bigger the link system, the less use it can be...if I'm sitting outside listening to a CD.....there are three other link rooms whose only option is to join me, or stay silent.  Or go into the Living room and use the TV...but thats not the point of a link room...

For example (and I know there are others, but sonos is the one I know best ) .....when I was selling beolink, I know for a 110% cast iron certainty that if there had been a licensed beo-version of the SONOS network and controllers  - ideally with beo 4/5/6 operation, or even just a re-housed sonos controller with an aluminium housing and a B&O gui, then it would have been very very saleable, even at a premium of three or four times the non B&O sonos. 

Even today, when used with Beolabs in Line mode, sonos makes a superb hybrid link system - all the visual appeal and sound quality of B&O active speakers around the house, ......but its not beolink because there is no true B&O control option, and no interaction with BeoVisions....grrrr.

That said, I still LOVE my link system - and the work arounds do work...within limits.

Mooching about with the same CD in each room, inc outside, or sticking a playlist on when people are round....its great. 

The same remote operation protocol in each and every room, whether its CD, radio, SKY etc etc ......priceless.

• 09-25-2010 6:12 PM In reply to

Some terrific points, so well illustrated !

folkdeejay:

From my Bsnd9000, CD, FM and my Beogram can be accessed everwhere over ML - BUT not if spotify is in use outside, in the kitchen or bathroom (which, with 3 kids it often is).  So....I can't listen to an LP in the room my record player sits in, if someone is having a shower....ho-hum.

SKY, a DVD or any audio can be used in the Living room regardles of what the link rooms are doing....but NOT if one or more of the link rooms is using the Bsnd9000 - because then the ML is "busy" even in the Living room, so a CD at that time there must be in the DVD player...

These restricions are simply the lack of multisource/multiroom capability.

In the Eighties I was a mainframe guy and a centralist at heart - the BeoMaster/etc 5000 in my eye was glorious to look at, had the magic of the MCP, the concept of link rooms, and the wonder of that wonderfully new medium the COMPACT disc.

So I bought my system and added a link room ... and within a year my platform was obsoleted by the introduction of the next link technology.  I was extremely p1s5ed ... what I should have done, was trade in the 5000 investment for a 5500. 

But then came the '87 crash, and the recessions of the turn of nineties ... and so I was "stuck" with my 5000 and a growing family with all the bathroom etc challenges you so eloquently describe.  And that was when I realised I should have taken a decentralised approach of sources in each room but linked via a mesh network.

Of course no one had anything like that then ... maybe not even now.

And you could well argue that local sources are no longer needed ... just local access to the cloud.

But my wife for example (and even me to some extent, still) wants to pick a CD and slide it into a BeoSound and see and hear it come to life.

So picking up on your theme:

-- a meshed network, any communal source (audio or video) to any link room

-- -- include the party mode option

-- local sources in each room:

-- -- audio: radio, iPod station, and maybe a CD/DVD

-- -- video: free-to-air TV, maybe DVD/BR

-- a coming together place for viewing large scale, high quality video content or enjoying concert level music

-- -- I am not one for playing FPS etc games, but my sons are, so I know that they would enjoy projecting that video content

-- -- My wife and I enjoy social media, so using a larger than PC screen for video conferencing would be wonderful

• 09-25-2010 11:43 PM In reply to

Think bigger.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 09-26-2010 1:10 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:

Think bigger.

bigger like this ?

"Fahrenheit 451" 1966

• 09-27-2010 4:58 PM In reply to

Trip,

Think Bigger is all well and good - but bear in mind that many people here and elsewhere have been thinking bigger, and well ahead, for a long time. 

Many thought bigger about DVD - and whilst we had DVD1 (!) the rest of the AV world got recordable DVD players with digital tuners that also played mpeg/mp3, and so then we got DVD2 (!!!!)  whilst the other brands rolled out blu-ray.....

People dreamed about using digital music in a B&O context........and we got Beomedia 1 whilst the rest of the world took a big bite of apple.

So .....hinting at beonet and/or Bsnd 5 lite is all well and good - but many people have been here before, and then been a touch underwhelmed by the Danish slant on new formats - albeit the "solution" often comes in a very well engineered housing.

A frustrating scenario, typified by Beocentre 2.  A truly staggering, innovative, iconic, ey-catching, 100% beodesign..a real focal point in any installation......housing a truly staggering, out of date, all but obsolete, standard dvd mechansim. Angry

Anyway - I'm off to play my 180gm Chris Wood LP on my beogram 7000.  Stick out tongue

• 09-28-2010 1:52 PM In reply to

folkdeejay:

A frustrating scenario, typified by Beocentre 2.  A truly staggering, innovative, iconic, ey-catching, 100% beodesign..a real focal point in any installation......housing a truly staggering, out of date, all but obsolete, standard dvd mechansim. Angry

I can't agree more. Every time that I see the amazing Beocenter 2 I wonder: Is it that impossible to fit a blu-ray mechanism in this incredibly well designed product.

• 09-28-2010 5:53 PM In reply to

By think bigger I guessed Trip meant:

-You wake up in the morning at the sound of your BeoTime and the TV set in your favorite channel that the BeoTime triggered.

-Take your Beo6 push "BREAKFAST" and the lights turn on and the Beovision in your favorite news channel.

-Take a shower at the sound of some music though the Beovox 1 .

-Climb on your car and the new b&O sound system.....

ETC...

I mean think new products and possibilities. Integration capabilities.

• 10-01-2010 6:46 AM In reply to

I guess Trip's silence means we have not thought BIG enough yet :-(

I really hope "big" does not mean we all have to have a spare £100,000.00 ...

• 10-01-2010 7:19 AM In reply to

• Jon
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2009
    • Posts 138
    • Bronze Member

Maybe B&O envision a BeoHouse!

I'd hate to see how much that would cost...Ick! Ouch!

Jon

• 10-01-2010 12:39 PM In reply to

Jon:
    Maybe B&O envision a BeoHouse!

Laughing did you see the article about the "iPhone" house ?

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/09/28/steve-jobs-to-build-the-iphone-of-houses/

Turned out it was a typical newspaper editor headline

eye-catching but inaccurate

I actually liked the design in the submitted plans

It was modest and had a couple of interesting design approaches

And so "modest" that one could fill it with B&O without spending £100K 

(well ok, if he used BL5s and a BV4-103, then he might need a second £100K)

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)