in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-19-2010 7:17 AM by markiedee. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-17-2010 8:55 AM

is it possible to switch off a bang-olufsen tv off at the mains?

hi everyone i have been wondering weather or not your able to switch off a bang-olufsen tv off at the mains, reason for this question is i'm a firm believer in conserving energy and at present whenever i go to bed or if iam away i like switch off at the mains in turn not wasting any electric.

now i know that b&0 tvs have no power off buttons only a standby mode. now if i had to purchase a bv8-40 which i'm interested in i would like to know that if i turn't the tv off at the mains  it won't cause any problems.

any info would be really helpful thanks.

• 09-17-2010 9:05 AM In reply to

Re: is it possible to switch off a bang-olufsen tv off at the mains?

You certainly can though I believe new sets may now have a power button.

• 09-17-2010 9:11 AM In reply to

thank you doctor for your quick response, another reason for bringing this question up was because i was in a b&0 store yesterday and when i asked one of the staff about this he said by turning it off at the mains could actually disrupt and cause problems with the tv which was a little bit of a turn off for me.

• 09-17-2010 9:45 AM In reply to

The problem with turning them off is that you cannot turn it on by remote. Some sets with PIN code protection will also need the code entering. The BV8 however should be fine though it will take slightly longer to get going than if it had been in standby. I am pretty sure that new EU regulations require all new sets to be fitted with a power switch of some type these days. I may remember incorrectly, but I seem to remember B&O initially fitting the power switch on the cable. Anyone else remember this?

• 09-17-2010 9:46 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

If the TV is set up as a stand-alone piece, then turning off the mains ought not cause any real trouble.  If you are using it in any form of linked system with other B&O gear I could envision issues with all of the pieces properly re-establishing communication when they pop back up on the network.

Russ

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 09-17-2010 9:49 AM In reply to

it would be used as a stand alone tv.

• 09-17-2010 5:53 PM In reply to

The very latest TVs (BV10) do not have PIN code protection so would presumably be OK to turn off at the mains. Several others with PIN code protection do have quite low standby consumption <1W.

This is less of an environmental problem than the media and governments have made it out to be: the standby power is dissipated as heat and contributes to your house heating for 75% of the year.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 09-17-2010 6:00 PM In reply to

so does the bv8-40 have pin code protection as thats the tv i'm interested in?

• 09-17-2010 6:02 PM In reply to

also as a personal thing i just like to have things switched off at the mains when not in use or when i'm not at home.

• 09-18-2010 11:06 AM In reply to

• Opman
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-31-2007
    • Cheshire, UK
    • Posts 323
    • Bronze Member

A friend has a BeoVision8 40 connected via BeoLink convertor to a BeoCentre9000. He recently went away and powered off the TV only. On returning and powering up the TV he had lost communication with the audio system. I suggested he power off the whole system and power it on again which did the trick. The BeoLink convertor started talking to the BeoVision8 40 again.

The BeoVision8 40 doesn't have pin code protection, so if it is a standalone set, it shouldn't be an issue, just an inconvenience.

Bang & Olufsen have started supplying some products with mains cables with in line power switch to conform to these EU regulations about power conservation.

Regards

Opman

• 09-18-2010 11:25 AM In reply to

hi opman when you say it wouldn't be a issue just an inconvience what do you mean? would the tv take longer to start up once turned on again at the mains.

sorry for the questions just want to make sure i understand every thing about how these tvs work before taking the plunge.

• 09-19-2010 6:38 AM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

Hi there

I think if you have no Pin code set and its stand along it wont be a real issue.

The time the set takes to load the software will be longer for sure.

I would go to the shop and time how long it takes to get a picture from standby and then do that same test after switching the main back on.

I know the BV7 takes a while before it becomes responsive to the beo4 from power off.

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 09-19-2010 6:48 AM In reply to

hi seanie do you turn your bv7 off at the mains? at the minute thats the only thing putting me off a b&0 tv at the moment.

the overall sound and picture of the bv8-40 is simply amazing i just wish that they at least designed a off button on the tv, it wouldn't have had to be in your face to disturb the minimalist design even if they put one on the back of the tv would have been nice.

• 09-19-2010 7:07 AM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

No i dont becasue i have HD recorders running etc and i like to be able to just fire up music from link rooms. (Conected to TV)

How about off setting your footprint against something else?

External Speakers could be switched off if you had those.

If your worried i would just switch it off at the mains and put it back on in the morning. You can buy/get free some extension leads that are remote control that can power down devices by remote, my Grandad had one free from Brithish Gas.

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 09-19-2010 7:17 AM In reply to

at the moment i have a home cinema amplifier 47 inch lcd tv which has a (off button) and speakers plus a blu-ray player all connected to an extension cable.

but when i'm not home for a few days or when i go to sleep at night i just prefer to have everything off.

now i was planing to get rid off everything i have and settle for the bv8-40 but i may have to look else where due to the fact off inconvience and the time it would take for the tv to load up and respond when powered up again from the mains which is unfortunate as i really like the bv8-40.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)