in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-06-2010 12:33 PM by Spiros. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-16-2010 2:31 PM

Can AppleTV connect to non HD Beovsion 5 (Yes it can using software patch)

Hi all,

I have a non HD Beovision 5 so there are only scart/RGB/S-Video inputs. I have looked at the BV5 User Manual and CD Rom and can't find anything that helps.

Can a 160GB AppleTV be connected without the outlay for a "Component/YPbPr to Composite/RGB" convertor?

Can the inputs in the TV be switched to accept "component" in on any of the set up menus?

I have seen this - Scart Adapter

But I fear I need something like this - Convertor

Any help suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Stoobie

• 09-16-2010 4:18 PM In reply to

Re: Can AppleTV connect to non HD Beovsion 5

Hi you will need the Apple TV Convertor from SVIDEO.

Or you can try do one of many hacks: http://www.appletvhacks.net/2007/10/12/get-color-output-from-apple-tvs-composite-video-output/

I have tried this without success.

So, if you got time left to spend on doing hacks, do that. If not, get the converter.

'/Ola

• 09-16-2010 4:40 PM In reply to

I don't have any of this stuff so I could recommend anything or confirm if a particular solution works, but the converters definitely need not be that expensive if you settle with something proudly made in China... (just like everything like this nowadays is in any case)

-mika

• 09-18-2010 10:13 AM In reply to

B&Ola:

Hi you will need the Apple TV Convertor from SVIDEO.

Or you can try do one of many hacks: http://www.appletvhacks.net/2007/10/12/get-color-output-from-apple-tvs-composite-video-output/

I have tried this without success.

So, if you got time left to spend on doing hacks, do that. If not, get the converter.

'/Ola

Thanks for that info B&Ola,

I have now looked at those links and found more info on the net (it looks like it might work) - I was thinking the TV inputs could be switched (B&Os have all sorts of hidden settings for different markets), not thinking the Apple TV could be hacked, but if any of those hacks work it will be great and I'll be able to connect up!

I have now bought a used Apple TV 160GB and when it arrives next week I'll get busy. Wish me luck Big Smile

Stoobie

PS I'll report back soon and let people know how it goes.

• 09-20-2010 8:44 AM In reply to

• DW2008
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-25-2008
    • Brighton
    • Posts 14
    • Bronze Member

Hi

the method described in the link above definitely works - that's how I have AppleTV running on my old Avant.  You will have to re-do the little trick if you ever disconnect the ATV from the power though.  For this reason I've had to do it a few times and it doesn't always work first time - sometime takes 2 or 3 attempts!

If you install aTV  Flash (http://firecore.com/atvflash?gclid=CMH6m_KDlqQCFYeY2AodiFP8Gw) then apparently this has a setting for colour output too.  I'm going to install this at the weekend so will let you know how that goes.

• 09-27-2010 10:42 AM In reply to

Hi DW2008,

I downloaded aTV Flash last night and it seems really good. It was easy to set the "composite out" using it (once I'd eventually found the actual instructions on their site).

Picture looks great and video/music look and sound as good as from my DVD2.

Next is getting it to work with my Beo4 and STB PUC if I can :o)

Stoobie

• 09-28-2010 12:37 AM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

I have been using ATVFlash for a year and it's really a fantastic software. May I also propose that you use Cyberduck for the uploads? I found the combination very good and all movies can be uploaded directly in any folder you wish!!

Best regards

Spiros

• 09-28-2010 2:39 PM In reply to

Hi Spiros,

Thanks for the suggestion re Cyberduck (is that Vista compatible?).

At the moment I'm just using XBMC to play any files from my PC as I have my complete media collection on two 1TB discs. I haven't got round to using the HDD on the aTV as yet.

I don't suppose you know how to get the Beo4 working with the aTV. When I go into settings on the TV I can see the Apple Remote as an option, but when I choose it it does not seem to work.

Do I have to unpair the apple remote and then pair the Beo4?

Thanks

Stoobie

• 09-28-2010 2:55 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Hi Stoobie, I think it's a matter of taste. Frankly spoken, I find XBMC quite difficult to handle and Apple TV's capabilities with ATVFlash are sufficient for me. But 2TB of data are not for ATV's hard disc!! Concerning the Beo4 controlling, one stupid question. Have you already connected the ir cable that drives from the STB of the TV on Apple TV? STB acts as a translator. You send the command to the TV -> STB -> Apple TV. Check this feature if you have already connected them. Hope this helps. Best regards Spiros

Best regards

Spiros

• 10-04-2010 6:22 PM In reply to

Hi Spiros,

Thanks for your help. I had already connected the ir cable & ir blaster (I had 1 for my STB), but I realise I need the B&O "Y" splitter as the current one will control either my STB or the ATV not both!

I thought that if I put the ir blaster pointing at both the STB and ATV it would send the signals for either depending on on which I chose on the remote, but it will only send one signal depending which I allocate the DECODER scart to. If I allocate it to the ATV it will send the ATV codes if I allocate it to the STB it will send STB codes. (the ir blaster was powerful enough even at 6 inches away)

BV5 manual states when you connect the B&O "Y" splitter you have to put one ir blaster in the Gold socket and one in the Silver socket - obviously it splits the signals.

Many thanks

Stoobie

• 10-06-2010 9:32 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Hi, 

if you have some knowledge about working with Apples Terminal Software and a SSH client under Mac OS X you don't need ANY hardware adapter!

You have to make an USB Bootstick for your Apple TV, after it is "cracked open" via software, you have to install nitoTV with a kernel extension for the composite signal and then you can use a standard rca-scart-connection to your MX :-)
    The yellow video cable had to be plugged into the green output socket of your Apple TV. You will notice that you will have a immediately a black and white picture on your MX - even without hacking! For colour output the hacking  is required :-)

You can connect the Apple TV via composite output (yellow videocable plus audio (L/R).
    Another patch requires a HDMI-DVI-I-Adapter + a DVI-I-VGA-Adapter which should provide a simple hack. It didn't work for me, so  I had to choose  the  long way and do it via software!

I don't know if the hack is possible with Windows, too!?

See the original thread:

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/32328.aspx

• 10-06-2010 11:43 AM In reply to

• Hungedu
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-08-2009
    • Ambergris Caye, Belize
    • Posts 128
    • Bronze Member

I've been using one of these converter boxes for my AppleTV connected to my Avant for years, and it works great.

BeoVision 7-55 3D, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound 8, BeoLab 7-6, BeoLab Penta III, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 2, LC-1, BeoTime (analog clock), Form 1 headphones, Beo 4 remote.

• 10-06-2010 12:33 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

I do support ATVFlash too much. I have been using it for a year now and I think it's an excellent solution since you do not actually need itunes especially for the movies and in formats likes AVI, MKV etc.

Best regards

Spiros

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)