in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-07-2011 10:50 AM by StUrrock. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-16-2010 6:57 AM

• quader
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-03-2007
    • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Posts 89
    • Gold Member

Motorised Blinds and Lighting Help

Dear Beoworlders,

I am kooking for some advice on blinds and lights,what system are users using and why.

Is it cheaper to use the lintronic box with third party products or is there a  cheaper solution controlling with Beo 4 or 5

Please help .

• 09-16-2010 9:24 AM In reply to

Re: Motorised Blinds and Lighting Help

Hi,

I don't know the size of your house and your specific needs but I am using Lutron RadioRA2 and is excellent for my needs.

It is reliable, easily programmable by yourself, and it doesn't break your bank account. It can be used for lighting and also for air conditioning, garage doors and curtains. For curtains the Lutron Siquoia QS is the way to go and is compatible with Radio RA2.

• 09-16-2010 10:20 AM In reply to

• quader
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-03-2007
    • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Posts 89
    • Gold Member

Thanks BeoFab

I am interested in mood lighting in one room (20ft x 11ft) with dimmable downlights etc and motorised blinds/curtains.

I thought anything to do with Lutron was expensive,is yours a single light source and how much did it cost if you don't mind me asking.

• 09-16-2010 11:05 AM In reply to

Well Lutron is not really super affordable but if you live in the States and want a stylish solution look no further there are not many alternatives and most of them much more expensive.

Home automation was extremely expensive and oriented to big installations. That is changing now and with Lutron Radio RA 2 or another solution called Control4 you get almost the same solution for an immensily more affordable price.

Let say you want three zones (kitchen, dinning room, living room) in your room with 5 scenes (lounge, cinema, cooking, dinning, etc). Then you need: 3 dimmers, one scene controller and one main repeater. Aproximatelly $100 per dimmer, $200 controller and $350 main. As you can see is still affordable compared with Homeworks line that just the Grafik Eye (controller) goes for around $1,500.00

For the curtains you need to ask a quote to Lutron based on the size and style you want. The same scene controller and main will handle the curtains too so no further cost asociated.

The best you can do is give them a call and tell them about your wants and needs and they will gladly inform you. That is what I did and I am very happy that I handle it that way.

First you need to sit down and start to think about your needs (zones, scenes etc). Then give Lutron a call and ask for advicel. Then start your search about a good place where to buy it. I bought mine at: www.dimmers. net and the prices are great.

Hope this helps.

• 09-20-2010 6:26 AM In reply to

• quader
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-03-2007
    • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Posts 89
    • Gold Member

Come on beoworlders, they must be users out there with motorised blinds are remote lighting.

Please help

• 09-20-2010 8:15 AM In reply to

quader:

Come on beoworlders, they must be users out there with motorised blinds are remote lighting.

Please help

Judith of the LuxPod fame has a motorised blind connected to a Lutron control.

I know, I have stayed there.

Drop her a PM, I suspect she does not often visit Beoworld!

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 09-20-2010 1:08 PM In reply to

I too would like to add lighting control and in looking is seems as if the RadioRa is the way to go, particularly here in the USA. Is there a way to use RadioRa, have control with the Beo 4/5,and also be able to control the lights from an iPhone?

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 09-24-2010 3:22 PM In reply to

• quader
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-03-2007
    • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Posts 89
    • Gold Member

Not sure if RadioRA is available in the Uk, someone has suggested to look at Rako Lighting

• 09-24-2010 5:25 PM In reply to

Razlaw:

I too would like to add lighting control and in looking is seems as if the RadioRa is the way to go, particularly here in the USA. Is there a way to use RadioRa, have control with the Beo 4/5,and also be able to control the lights from an iPhone?

Yes you can control them with a beo5. You just need the scene controller with the IR eye. The range in terms of the angle is a little limited though but it works perfectly. That is how I have it at home.

RadioRa 2 also have an iPhone app and they are about to launch an app for the iPad and to add to the line an air conditioning controller. So basically you will be able to handle: lighting, a/c and curtains.

• 09-28-2010 8:28 AM In reply to

• quader
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-03-2007
    • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Posts 89
    • Gold Member

Lutron Grafik Eye 3100 B&O version looks interesting , does anyone have this in their home or the Eye Qs version.

• 09-28-2010 4:01 PM In reply to

• nezza
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-28-2010
    • Posts 3
    • Gold Member

quader:
    Lutron Grafik Eye 3100 B&O version looks interesting , does anyone have this in their home

Well, no and yes.

I'm currently building (well, having built) an annexe to my house incorporating double garage, utility room and office/music room.

When I conceived the project I always assumed the av system in the office would be a Linn Aktiv system. But after a while I started to lose interest in the enormous pile of gear this would entail and began to investigate other active audio systems.

Meridian is basically too expensive, ATC too ugly, so currently I'm leaning towards B&O.

I wanted to make sure I was cabling for the future and got onto BeoWorld to check out B&O's multiromm capabilities. To that end, I ended up running 8x CAT7 cables to the putative "TV" position in the office, and 5 more to the desk. Plus another 8x CAT7a between the annexe and the house, just in case...

For lighting in the office I am installing a Lutron GrafikEye GBO-3104 - I was always leaning towards Lutron but B&O integration pushed it over the edge. Even if I don't ever get any other B&O kit I will at least buy a keyring to control the lighting scene controller.

The end of the build is about 3 weeks away at which point I anticipate buying another Sonos zone controller to provide sound in the office plus a pair of either BeoLab 8000 or BeoLab 3 speakers - currently leaning towards the BL3.

Of course, I'm hoping this is just the start of my B&O journey - my wife is probably hoping otherwise...

Neil

• 09-28-2010 4:32 PM In reply to

I used GRAFIK Eye for some time now and i am very happy with the product functionality.

My whole system beoliving is placed on Lutron products.
    Bang & Olufsen have installed in my beoliving following products.
    for lights-Lutron GRAFIK Eye

for shade-lutron qed 100,G-Rail curtain rail systems 6200

• 09-28-2010 5:32 PM In reply to

From my point of view there are some brands that have a lot of points in common. B&O and Lutron are among them. No doubt you can add to the list Apple.

I wouldn't doubt to go with Lutron. By 2011 they are launching a touch screen keypad that looks very promising:

http://www.lutron.com/Products/WholeHomeSystems/Homeworksqs/Pages/Overview.aspx

• 09-28-2010 9:23 PM In reply to

RA2 is a huge improvement over RadioRA and, as has been mentioned, the inclusion of HVAC makes it the best value out there. Anything cheaper would be more like an individual switch rather than a global control system.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 09-29-2010 11:25 AM In reply to

• quader
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-03-2007
    • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Posts 89
    • Gold Member

interestiing Project Nezza, are looking to at blinds/curtains to the grafik eye setup?

• 10-01-2010 1:54 PM In reply to

• nezza
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-28-2010
    • Posts 3
    • Gold Member

quader:

interestiing Project Nezza, are looking to at blinds/curtains to the grafik eye setup?

No, all four zones are controlling the uplighters which are on the walls.

The room is going to be a multipurpose office/music room so we have installed 6 uplighters around the room. 2 are individually controlled channels and there are 2 pairs. I could have gone for a 6 zone controller to put each uplighter on its own channel but that would really have overkill I think.

Neil

• 10-09-2010 12:49 PM In reply to

• quader
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-03-2007
    • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Posts 89
    • Gold Member

How is the blinds/curtains option connected to the grafik eye and are using the Beo4 or 5 to control your lighting and blinds

• 05-31-2011 7:32 PM In reply to

Anything new in lighting control for the US?  

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 06-03-2011 6:34 AM In reply to

• quader
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-03-2007
    • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Posts 89
    • Gold Member

Not sure about US but i got the Lutron Grafik eye setup in my living room which can be controlled by the Beo 4 and beo5

I have also installed Somfy blinds which is controlled by the beo 5 and is also part of my cinema setup

very happy with the setup

• 06-03-2011 3:09 PM In reply to

• lano
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-25-2010
    • Posts 66
    • Gold Member

I use LK IHC system to control my somfy powered blinds. It works fine and there is B&O ir recievers so that I can control the blinds with beo4. However I think the somfy motors makes to much noice, anybody else that has noticed this? Are there any other motors recommended?
  • 06-03-2011 10:36 PM In reply to

Somfy are too loud. So are mechoshades. Lutron makes the only silent drive on the market in the US. I don't know of any made elsewhere either. 

In terms of lighting and shading, it's not like a new company is going to pop up out of nowhere with a viable solution. Lutron, as I see it, continues to be the best out there. They're going to market with several distinct tiers and most people can find some level of control within their budget. Even if it's just a few local IR dimmers or an occupancy sensor in the bathroom. 

As I see it, you're better off just picking up a few RA2 components and building the system over time. You'll be much happier in the long run as it's going to be like purchasing an appliance. If you use the stove every day it won't matter 5 years from now that you saved $250 on it. All you'll think about is how slow it is to bring water to a boil. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 06-04-2011 7:31 AM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

TripEnglish:

RA2 is a huge improvement over RadioRA and, as has been mentioned, the inclusion of HVAC makes it the best value out there. Anything cheaper would be more like an individual switch rather than a global control system.

Trip, Any experience with Crestron prodigy?

• 06-04-2011 1:59 PM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

I looked at the crestron prodigy system extensively before I went with RA2.

The lutron is seemless, it works with B&O over my system because I have it connected to the MLGW.  When used in that set up it is very very cool.  I have SeeTouch controls in the home that control a combination of lights and B&O.  The MLGW lets you create macros with RA2 and B&O in combination.

I VERY strongly can recommend RA2.  I have had the system for about 7 months now and have never had 1 problem.  I actually have the software and am able to tinker with it myself.  Also, the app is very cool for it as well.

$0.02

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 06-04-2011 5:53 PM In reply to

StUrrock:

TripEnglish:

Trip, Any experience with Crestron prodigy?

Yes. Clunkier and a bit more expensive. Crestron today, as I see the landscape of home automation, is where the Panasonic phone systems were 10 years ago. You couldn't see a high-end integrated home without one. Now you can't figure out why you'd need it. As integration gets easier and brands like Lutron take on more functionality at lower and lower price-points, I see Crestron being crowded out of its former wheelhouse. I don't think they're going anywhere any time soon, but in a world of iPads and small scale lighting and HVAC control off the shelf at your local hardware store, the threshold for "requiring" Crestron's level of control is receding. 

• 06-06-2011 8:29 PM In reply to

• Matthew
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-01-2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

We recently installed a 6 channel Lutron Grafik Eye (B&O) into our open plan kitchen/dining/TV viewing area. It also controls wall wash lights along the hall from the front door that lead to the open plan area at the rear of the house. After two months of use we're extremely happy with it's functionalty and control.

Trip's point re: Lutron providing a solution at a range of price points is most relevant. Our Lutron controller is not part of a larger home automation system, so we have more of a "budget" solution, if you like, yet it provides an excellent level of lighting control for our house from a single unit (combined with two additional wall station controllers).

One button press after entering the house illuminates the entire downstairs common areas. Add to that the lighting scene capability and the integration with our Beo5 remote (which I program myself), and it provides for a great way to control your environment (lighting & AV) without going down the full home automation path.

The Grafik Eye is certainly not new, but applied to the right environment, and with a little planning, it remains a very good solution IMO.

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >