in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-08-2010 5:17 PM by Step1. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-06-2010 12:17 PM

• dsc8w
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-22-2007
    • Guildford
    • Posts 17
    • Bronze Member

Transferring VHS tapes and/or Vinyl Records to DVD

I am considering the task of transferring some VHS tapes, which were last wateched on my VHS 7000 Beocord and some old Vinyl records, which used to be played on my Beosystem 5500, to the more up-to-date DVD.

Before emabarking on this task, I would like to hear from Forum members, on their choice of Software and what cables are best used for this purpose.

I am led to believe that RCA cables are suitable, but I would like to have that clarified.

Regards David

• 09-06-2010 9:19 PM In reply to

Re: Transferring VHS tapes and/or Vinyl Records to DVD

RCA is OK, I can only help you with Vinyl.

Download Audiograbber (www.audiograbber.org) and download from the same site, the Lame encoder, follow the instructions and play around untill you get to know the grabber, if you want to record to CD use media monkey, I tunes burns bad disk. You can burn to disk from the Grabber but media monkey is better. If you have alot of Vinyl you are in for a long run, its like when we recorded vinyl to tapes.

You vil have to add titels, Artist, genre and tags by hand;

There is another good player out there, Jaangle, its only a player, if you give in the tags when recording, Jangle will search the internet for pics album covers and artist descriptions, better than any other player. Better playback than Itunes

To save space I convert to MP3 320 Kbs.

If you have problems, mail me and I will walk you through it

Søren

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 09-07-2010 5:11 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

The major issue you have converting video is that you'll need additional hardware - a video capture card for your PC. These needn't be very expensive and some (most?) TV cards are capable. It would be better to have a card that accepted the composite signal or s-video rather than the rf modulated "aerial" output.

Most cards will have basic video recording software supplied, you could try that before buying additional software. How often you intend doing this will dictate how much you invest in the hardware - something like THIS may be all you need (please not that I have no experience of this device and so can't personally recommend it but it sounds like the simplest route to achieve what you want).

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 09-07-2010 7:56 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

For the Video part, just buy a used DVD recorder where the Beocord will attach via scart, copy all you VHS tapes and sell the recorder...

No software involved.

Had a panasonic one to to this job.

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 09-07-2010 9:12 AM In reply to

kallasr:

For the Video part, just buy a used DVD recorder where the Beocord will attach via scart, copy all you VHS tapes and sell the recorder...

No software involved.

I second this - very easy and decent quality (you can put about 2-3 hours of material on a normal 4.7G DVD without the result looking any worse than the VHS did in the first place).

If you eventually want to have the material on a computer, just rip/copy the DVDs which will then still remain as a backup media.

The vinyls... copying them and having any order in the resulting files will be a nerve wrecking exercise. I prefer having some good Beograms around to play them Smile

-mika

• 09-07-2010 2:43 PM In reply to

I've found recordable DVD to be quite flaky. I would recommend keeping anything precious backed up on something more reliable. VHS tapes?

For recording audio just connect your amplifier to your computer sound card with RCA or DIN to RCA leads. I use this Microsoft software which

is now discontinued but available here. Very easy to use with good results.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Plus-Windows-Digital-Media/dp/B000086FGA

David.

• 09-08-2010 5:17 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

I use Audacity to transfer vinyl to PC. Record player > RIAA equipped amplifier > line level output to PC Line input.

You can download the lame encoder to work with audacity but I save as WAV files. I play and record the entire vinyl then split into individual tracks, so that my cd player can access those tracks with continuous play and no gaps between tracks if nescesary.

For burning CDBurnerXP is pretty good.

Then convert to MP3 for computer use using cdex at the bitrate of my choosing and access cddb to get track listings :)

A tip when recording is to make sure you choose the loudest part of the album to set the recording level before you start. This way you can  get levels to maximum and are less likely to distort or have to adjust levels mid way and spoil the recording.

Olly.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)